End of DCI Open Class

160 members have voted

1. 1. When will Open Class no longer exist?

• less than 3 years from now
    • 3-5 years from now
    • more than 5 years from now
    • what are talking about...Open Class is growing!

Well...I was just throwing an idea out...given school start times, it might be that Opens choosing to not go to DCI and do DCA West shows might be the most feasible...if for nothing else than for the fact that DCI shows are done by mid/late July...there could be an additional 4-6 weeks of shows out here, and those Open kids could get more bang for their buck...at the same time Dream and Renegades could get more performances in.

I think that would depend a lot on the west coast DCA corps creating the shows and inviting the non-touring DCI Open corps to participate in a separate division or something.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If DCA ever did create a division to accommodate the DCI Open Class corps, it obviously would have to host a championships at an earlier date than the regular DCA corps host theirs, and that would be ok. Having combined Open/Senior shows would be a huge boon to existing DCA weekend contests during the "meat" of the summer, and a number of open shows could be held during the week, especially if there was a programmed tour for most of the competing corps.

The real obstacle is that DCA isn't the full-time organization DCI is, and there would have to be an increase in the administrative infrastructure of DCA in order to make this happen.

Edited by Kamarag

If DCA ever did create a division to accommodate the DCI Open Class corps, it obviously would have to host a championships at an earlier date than the regular DCA corps host theirs, and that would be ok. Having combined Open/Senior shows would be a huge boon to existing DCA weekend contests during the "meat" of the summer, and a number of open shows could be held during the week, especially if there was a programmed tour for most of the competing corps.

Is there much evidence that the various DCI Open corps are looking for something like this? Many of the comments I read are from the POV of how much it would benefit the DCA corps. I don't see that being of much concern to the DCI Open class corps.

Plus, if there would be an earlier champs someplace for the new Junior DCA div...what's the point? They could just attend DCI open class champs in that case.

The real obstacle is that DCA isn't the full-time organization DCI is, and there would have to be an increase in the administrative infrastructure of DCA in order to make this happen.

That is very true...and a huge stumbling block. The rise of the DCA regions around the country plus the addition of a DCA junior division? That's a lot of new work for a very small organization to handle.

That is very true...and a huge stumbling block. The rise of the DCA regions around the country plus the addition of a DCA junior division? That's a lot of new work for a very small organization to handle.

Maybe those responsibilities could be parsed out to a more local regional governing body...

Maybe those responsibilities could be parsed out to a more local regional governing body...

I am asking this as I don't know..not to be sarcastic...looking at the west coast...do you see much interest in such an organization forming by the DCI Open corps..or the DCA corps, for that matter? Plus, if it is not DCA, how does it help the DCA corps as it regards their DCA participation? With three of the Open corps being part of a World organization in CA, is it likely to happen?

It just seems to me that folks here are trying to push an "anything but DCI" POV, whether or not it has much of a chance of success...or whether there is a driving desire by the Open class corps to form such a group away from DCI.

I am asking this as I don't know..not to be sarcastic...looking at the west coast...do you see much interest in such an organization forming by the DCI Open corps..or the DCA corps, for that matter?

Honestly, I didn't even consider the idea until I read this thread, so I have no idea...plus I'm currentlymore than a bit out of the loop. It's certainly POSSIBLE that there might be some people willing to step up if the idea-- in some form -- gets some traction.

Plus, if it is not DCA, how does it help the DCA corps as it regards their DCA participation? With three of the Open corps being part of a World organization in CA, is it likely to happen?

I would not even try to include BDB or C, unless they wished to be part of it. I was more thinking --selfishly, perhaps --that many of these corps might come from the numbers in SoCal itself.

Also, it WOULD be a DCA West idea...but since part of the idea would be to provide more local performances without incurring the cost of going to DCI or DCA, the benefit to corps like SoCal Dream, Renegades, and perhaps Kingsmen (if they elect to go to DCA) would be mroe performances in front of crowds and judging...the additional scores for prelims seeding is actually at the bottom of the list.

Right now, with DCI shows being done by mid July, SCD and Renegades work in a vaccum for 6 weeks...that's a difficult thing to go through if you're shooting for a finalist spot.

In 04, Dream's show ended with the ballad...the ONLY time we performed the closer was at Prelims....one time. Fortunately, it went well, but I would've loved a few more shots in front of a crowd with the chart.

It just seems to me that folks here are trying to push an "anything but DCI" POV, whether or not it has much of a chance of success...or whether there is a driving desire by the Open class corps to form such a group away from DCI.

That's very true....but in this economy, it may provide an additional outlet for the kids to perform and not unduly tour a corps into oblivion.

Right now, with DCI shows being done by mid July, SCD and Renegades work in a vaccum for 6 weeks...that's a difficult thing to go through if you're shooting for a finalist spot.

In 04, Dream's show ended with the ballad...the ONLY time we performed the closer was at Prelims....one time. Fortunately, it went well, but I would've loved a few more shots in front of a crowd with the chart.

This goes to something else I said earlier...and I have seen this sort of idea before in other threads over time...the concern seems more for helping the DCA corps...which IMO shouldn't be a factor for the DCI Open corps at all. The benefit to the Open corps seems to be an afterthought...while IMO it should be the main focus of such an effort.

Honestly I love Open class the way it is. Why create another open class when the one we have would be just as good if not better if people just showed up to watch shows. Why start the process over with DCA? It doesn't seem to me that they would benefit from a longer season that is actually more of a drain on the already thinning wallets of the corps. The easy fix for Open class is for people to show up and buy a ticket. Support drum corps from the 20 person parade corps all the way up to the 150 member world class corps. I think we all need to do our part to help advertise local shows. Volunteer your gift of gab, which I know everyone on this site has. Instead of sitting on DCP for hours on end, posting finals predictions in March, why not ask your local drum corps....or heck even the drum corps you or your kids marched for and see what you can do to help. Getting the word out is half the battle and if we can get more shows packed like the show at Michigan City, then this wouldn't even be a topic to talk about. I really look forward to seeing some stellar open class corps this summer, and for next 20-30 years to come.

That's very true....but in this economy, it may provide an additional outlet for the kids to perform and not unduly tour a corps into oblivion.

Is that happening? Or is this a "preemptive strike" to avoid such a result???

I do think with a bad economy...if it continues as it appears it will...DCI may have to look at some sort of cost-saving efforts. I'm not sure what that will be, but who knows...maybe they will create real regional champs, at least out west, for those unable to tour. I'm not sure you will see such a thing in the midwest or the east coast, since going to Indiana isn't as bad as it is for the west coast corps.

I think that it would be GREAT for DCA to offer any corps the opportunity to compete and be recognized for their achievements. DCI has canceled division 3, and they are making no effort to salvage the Open class from complete failure. The fact that DCI has imposed so many spending requirements relating to equipment, touring, and membership shows that they have no interest in expanding the number of competing units. DCI's goal is to DECREASE the number of competing units and expand the top 15 corps that all bring in the crowds and the $$$. DCI wants to build these programs into supercorps, who will provide "rock concert" like entertainment for crowds that are dwindling year by year.

DCA is providing entertainment to increasing crowds by allowing new drum corps to perform as DRUM AND BUGLE CORPS, not bloated rock bands. DCA has been increasing, both in competing units and venues, and it is quite clear that the drum corps activity has expressed dissatisfaction with its primary competition circuit, similar to the events which lead to the creation of DCI in 1972. I can only hope that when DCA rises to heights once achieved by DCI, that they do not change their focus from the drum corps activity to corporate profit. I also hope that revered units such as SCV, BD, and Phantom Regiment will see the light, and will contribute to the survival of the drum corps activity...and not follow groups like the Cadets and Star of Indiana into innovating themselves out of existence....