WGI surprises and breakdowns

Looking at the IW teams this year, it seems you can break it down like this

1 - World teams that are fighting for the gold who are truly World class groups. Doing amazing things, amazingly well and are amazingly creative. Sac, NEI and SCV are some of these groups.

2 - World teams who fit all the above but are just a hair below those first groups. Onyx, Zydeco, Crown guards are some examples.

then the next two groups get messy

3 - World teams who are like the above groups but who are just not executing at the same level yet but who are doing truly world class programming with world class performers. Alter Ego, Diamante definitely come to mind here. Both these groups (having seen Alter Ego live and Diamante on WGI) seem to have grown tremendously and although doing well, not advancing that much over some lesser groups scorewise.

4 - Finally there are the guards that are classified as IW and have the age in their teams but the design is seriously lacking world class quality. Honestly, these guards are probably more Open class than anything but with older members. They may be executing their programs well but they are offering nothing like a world class program. I am not knocking the performers. The problem I have is with simply lame and unoriginal programming.

What bothers me is that some of these guards seem to get credit for doing less work, with a lesser design. You can understand that at the beginning of the season, but the judging community seems to allow these groups to maintain a level of success over teams that actually show progression and development over the season. True World class teams should be pushing the boundary of the activity in both design and performance, I am not sure why the judging community does not pay as much attention to getting it right in the 9-18 ranks as they do for the top groups.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on what i've seen in person and on the fan network, here's what i think will happen in SA:

For sure in finals:

Mansfield HS

Byrnes HS

Kokomo HS

Croatan HS

North Syracuse Central HS

Friendswood HS

Spanish River HS

Probably in finals:

Francis Howell North HS

Stockdale HS

Westerville HS

Maybe in finals:

Central Crossing HS

Lyman HS

Milford HS (OH)

Mineola HS

Kickapoo HS

In Scholastic A - I'll agree with Croatan, Spanish River, possibly Milford OH.....others to add are potential winner in SA ....Kokomo HS; Greenfield Central, Lafayette Jefferson, Westfield (possibly the most theatrical winter guard show i've witnessed in some years and Owen Valley. These are some very talented groups from Indiana. Good Luck to all groups this weekend at Ben Davis HS for the WGI Regional.

ars nova open is about life, and going through it, or at least i think so. at the end they die and the new ending is great...

ars nova a is atlantis.

those choices for scholastic a make a lot of sense. several of them have never gone to dayton either, so that should be interesting.

Does anyone have any outlook on the ind A and ind Open classes?

regarding the independent open class,northgate independent has a very appealing program with a pure and pleasing approach to design,good performance qualities and all around artistic construction.this entertaining show has lot's of beautifull moments and will look great at wgi! :smile:

Edited by dugg

Looks like IW guards in Texas, Black Gold and Code Black are more or less out of the race for making finals. A true shame especially for Code Black

who made it in safely last year. Who knows there might be a little something they are planning to make it interesting.

Edited by Musical_Spinner

oh my word..just got the prelims scores from WGI DALLAS and Desoto came out on top with an 85.1!! I predicted they would make the top of finals but this is just the cherry on top, i've always been a fan and these girls put lots of souls into Amazing Grace....very well done, almost reminds me of Dream Girls lol but yeah it's a shame they aren't going to Dayton because they were up against some stiff competition (ie Mansfiled (quite fierce if i must say so myself), Friendswood, Americas SA, and Spring)...finals should be very interesting seeing as how Prelims was a bit of a blood bath and no that in't even being dramatic! It was war and those guard brought it (in reguards to SA).... if i'm not feeling lazy i'll take some notes and post a full review of all the classes but i'm most likely going to be too captured by the shows that i get nothing written down!

regarding the independent open class,northgate independent has a very appealing program with a pure and pleasing approach to design,good performance qualities and all around artistic construction.this entertaining show has lot's of beautifull moments and will look great at wgi! :smile:

I couldn't agree more...I have seen this show twice now in person! Will definitely do well at nationals!

Looking at the IW teams this year, it seems you can break it down like this

1 - World teams that are fighting for the gold who are truly World class groups. Doing amazing things, amazingly well and are amazingly creative. Sac, NEI and SCV are some of these groups.

Leaving Corona out to dry? They are fantastic, I always enjoy their shows. And the equipment is bordering ridiculous... in a good way. I can only imagine being at their camp.... "ok everybody put on your helmet and pads, we're learning new work" but wow their equipment work probably the most challenging i've seen. good luck to them at finals, i'm impressed.

oh my word..just got the prelims scores from WGI DALLAS and Desoto came out on top with an 85.1!! I predicted they would make the top of finals but this is just the cherry on top, i've always been a fan and these girls put lots of souls into Amazing Grace....very well done, almost reminds me of Dream Girls lol but yeah it's a shame they aren't going to Dayton because they were up against some stiff competition (ie Mansfiled (quite fierce if i must say so myself), Friendswood, Americas SA, and Spring)...finals should be very interesting seeing as how Prelims was a bit of a blood bath and no that in't even being dramatic! It was war and those guard brought it (in reguards to SA).... if i'm not feeling lazy i'll take some notes and post a full review of all the classes but i'm most likely going to be too captured by the shows that i get nothing written down!

i couldnt agree more. i havent gotten to see desoto yet....but americas, and friendswood are good. mansfield had a couple of rough runs this weekend but you havent seen the end of us yet.

desoto got out today with a 89.something with america and friendswood following. mansfield got a 86.6 i think with spring following right behind. finals seemed really high today. mansfield gained 3 points and desoto gained almost 4.