TAMPA POWER REGIONAL

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Editor’s note: I wish I didn’t have to do this, but I know what will happen if I don’t: some of you people will get your panties so impossibly bunched-up that assistance from a medical professional might be needed to successfully “unbunch” them.

So, here goes:

The following review represents MY personal opinions and observations ONLY. I am neither currently nor have I ever been affiliated directly in any capacity whatsoever with any guard - active or defunct - competing in any class of any circuit.

I’m relating MY ideas and views ONLY. Nothing more, nothing less. Ok…??? Can we please remember this and not work ourselves into lather over anything that might be mentioned in this or any other review posted in this forum…???

Thank you.

- The management

SCHOLASTIC WORLD

Flanagan

Well, they’re definitely on the short list for a medal again this year. Which medal will they bring back to Broward County…??? That’s anyone guess. The top tier of SW is jam packed with talent this year. No one is a “sure thing.”

But the 2008 Gold Medalists aren’t giving up their title without one heckuva fight.

Again this year, Flanagan is doing what Flanagan does best: big, bold and VERY in your face. Lots of movement, lots of things spinning very fast and some really crowd-pleasing HUGE tricks.

They’re performing really well as an ensemble. Their first-rate training and individual ability is immediately obvious. But to me, it seems that some elements/passages of the show are a little rushed. Of course, the music is forceful and intense, so naturally the writing reflects that same velocity and amplitude. So, maybe that’s a good thing.

Best trick of the night: a guy does crazy high rifle toss and right before the catch, another performer comes running straight at him and then dives to the ground and does the “sliding into home” move through the rifle guy's legs. (I wonder how many trips to the ER they each had to make while learning THAT one…!!!)

Interesting personal observation: When I saw their show at the Ft. Lauderdale regional, it looked to me as if Flanagan was going to be taking their program in a different direction than maybe they’ve taken it during pervious seasons. And clearly they are - kind of.

But now that I’ve seen the finished program, it looks and feels much more like the type of show that I would expect to see from Flanagan. And that’s not any kind of a criticism. Just an observation. But it does illustrate just how much any show can change from Week 1 to Week 7.

What hasn’t changed about this show is the incredible way in which Flanagan sells their performance. Wow. They aren't kiddin’ around. This is World Class color guard at 100 m.p.h. and you DO NOT want to get in their way.

And their show is jam-packed with the type of technically demanding equipment writing that always makes the crowd go crazy, crazy, CRAZY for Flanagan.

Oh, yeah: they’ll definitely will be neck-in-neck with the best guards in the country right up to the very end.

Choctawhatchee

When I heard the title of their show, “Valentine,” I thought that the ladies of Choctawhatchee were going to present a seven and a half minute homage to Zydeco director Byron Valentine.

They didn’t.

(You can imagine my embarrassment, I'm sure.)

:big hug:

Instead, “Valentine” is a beautiful, sophisticated, lyrical interpretation of the tender torch song, “My Funny Valentine,” taking us back in time to experience the faded glamour and aching romance of vintage Hollywood love stories.

This skillfully crafted show unfolds in a very understated, controlled rhythm and gradually rises to the final, dramatic sweeping flag phrases. The entire production seems effortless in both its progression and presentation.

And as always is the case with these talented ladies, their dance/movement training is superb. Seamless integration of the body and the equipment is one of their trademarks. And that’s immediately apparent this year, too. Wonderful equipment work all around, complimented by beautiful staging and presentation. It just doesn’t get much better than this.

Very few groups in any class are able to achieve the quality that Choctawhatchee maintains year after year.

On all levels, they are simply a joy to watch.

Freedom High School

This recently promoted ensemble provides yet another dramatic example of how different a show can be from Week 1 to Week 7.

Back in February, I thought that maybe the 2008 SO Silver medalists were going to need some more time to get up to speed and really shine in SW class. Don’t get me wrong, their show was perfectly “fine” at the Ft. Lauderdale Regional. But it did seem as if maybe they were slightly in over their head.

As the saying goes: that was then, this is now.

This group easily gets my vote for “Most Improved” since the beginning of the season.

They turned-in a really strong performance on Sunday. They flagged well, their weapons work was solid, they worked well as a group and they did a great job at communicating the complex emotional aspects of their civil rights inspired show.

Unexpected inspiring moment: While the voice on the narration track is making firm, adamant statements about “I will not go” or “I shall not leave,” a member of the rifle line – a young lady who happens to be African-American - is symbolically “dragged” away in the same manner that civil rights activists often were removed from equality demonstrations during the 50s and 60s. This difficult yet important historical image is handled very respectfully and tastefully. It’s poignant, appropriate and extremely effective within the context of the performance.

On many levels - both intellectual and literal - this show really is beginning to reach its full potential.

And placing between Seminole and Choctawhatchee…??? Well, that’s excellent company for any SW guard to be keeping at this point in the season.

I have no doubt that this program will be received equally well in Dayton.

Seminole

Ok, I’m just a giant pushover for any movement from the Four Seasons, especially ‘Winter.’ So, I was instantly on their side.

They performed well as an ensemble and they handle all of their equipment with ease. A strong group right down the line.

But for me, sometimes there was a little bit of a disconnect between the music and the equipment work. For example, during one particularly tension-filled passage in the score, everyone is using a rifle, which always creates a big, dramatic effect. But the work that’s taking place – while very clean – seems a bit slow and somewhat deliberate. Again, it doesn’t quite match the vibrancy and momentum of the musical line.

But at other times, the equipment book is beautifully written, such as the series of flag passages that close the program: vibrant, bold, and with all the fortitude of a raging, icy winter storm.

By the end of this show, I was wishing that I had ordered one of those ‘Snuggie’ things that you see being advertised on late-night TV.

Stoneman Douglas

I wasn’t sure just how much I could like a show about the stock market, money, avarice and other financial/moral travesties. But I can say that I actually enjoy this show quite a bit.

A lot of interesting, effective design and visual choices make this show memorable.

The tarp with the Wall Street imagery works even better now that all of the icons and artwork are complete. It’s one of the better floor designs that I’ve seen this season. And it’s the perfect setting for the Gordon Gecko “greed is good” speech.

Also, now the guard literally throws money around during the performance. Piles of cash are staged across the floor and at different moments they grab handfuls of money and toss it in the air and kick it around and stuff like that. Very effective.

All of the equipment work in the show is performed quite well, especially the thoughtfully choreographed weapon lines. We’ve come to expect a high level or performance from Stoneman Douglas and they certainly deliver again this season.

But seeing their equipment work right next to other SW groups, it does seem as if their writing isn’t quite as demanding as it’s been in years past.

Even so, they perform the heck out of it. And they still have the best “game face” of any group out there. These ladies always mean business and it shows in their performances.

Edited by Mr. Know it all

• 2 weeks later...

Excellant review. Thank you

You are correct in your comments on Freedom. The growth of the members from Feb to now to Dayton has been awesome. I might be a little bias, but I know back in Feb. it was looking like they were not ready to take the bite at SW, and I was in agreement with that...but they finally bought into the show the staff was putting out.. and there you have it!

Thanks again!

Editor’s note: I wish I didn’t have to do this, but I know what will happen if I don’t: some of you people will get your panties so impossibly bunched-up that assistance from a medical professional might be needed to successfully “unbunch” them.

So, here goes:

The following review represents MY personal opinions and observations ONLY. I am neither currently nor have I ever been affiliated directly in any capacity whatsoever with any guard - active or defunct - competing in any class of any circuit.

I’m relating MY ideas and views ONLY. Nothing more, nothing less. Ok…??? Can we please remember this and not work ourselves into lather over anything that might be mentioned in this or any other review posted in this forum…???

Thank you.

- The management

SCHOLASTIC WORLD

Flanagan

Well, they’re definitely on the short list for a medal again this year. Which medal will they bring back to Broward County…??? That’s anyone guess. The top tier of SW is jam packed with talent this year. No one is a “sure thing.”

But the 2008 Gold Medalists aren’t giving up their title without one heckuva fight.

Again this year, Flanagan is doing what Flanagan does best: big, bold and VERY in your face. Lots of movement, lots of things spinning very fast and some really crowd-pleasing HUGE tricks.

They’re performing really well as an ensemble. Their first-rate training and individual ability is immediately obvious. But to me, it seems that some elements/passages of the show are a little rushed. Of course, the music is forceful and intense, so naturally the writing reflects that same velocity and amplitude. So, maybe that’s a good thing.

Best trick of the night: a guy does crazy high rifle toss and right before the catch, another guy comes running straight at him and then dives to the ground and does the “sliding into home” move through the rifle guys legs. (I wonder how many trips to the ER they each had to make while learning THAT one…!!!)

Interesting personal observation: When I saw their show at the Ft. Lauderdale regional, it looked to me as if they were going to be taking their program in a different direction than maybe they’ve taken it during pervious seasons. And clearly they are - kind of.

But now that I’ve seen the finished program, it looks and feels much more like the type of show that I would expect to see from Flanagan. And that’s not any kind of a criticism. Just an observation. But it does illustrate just how much any show can change from Week 1 to Week 7.

What hasn’t changed about this show is the incredible way in which Flanagan sells their performance. Wow. They are aren't kiddin’ around. It’s World Class color guard at 100 m.p.h. and you DO NOT want to get in their way.

This show is jam-packed with the type of technically demanding equipment writing that always makes the crowd go crazy, crazy, CRAZY for Flanagan.

Oh, yeah: they’ll definitely will be neck-in-neck with the best guards in the country right up to the very end.

Choctawhatchee

When I heard the title of their show, “Valentine,” I thought that the ladies of Choctawhatchee were going to present a seven and a half minute homage to Zydeco director Byron Valentine.

They didn’t. You can imagine my embarrassment, I'm sure.

:)

Instead, “Valentine” is a beautiful, sophisticated, lyrical interpretation of the tender torch song, “My Funny Valentine,” taking us back in time to experience the faded glamour and aching romance of vintage Hollywood love stories.

This skillfully crafted show unfolds in a very understated, controlled rhythm and gradually rises to the final, dramatic sweeping flag phrases. The entire production seems effortless in both its progression and presentation.

And as always is the case with these talented ladies, their dance/movement training is superb. Seamless integration of the body and the equipment is one of their trademarks. And that’s immediately apparent this year, too. Wonderful equipment work all around, complimented by beautiful staging and presentation. It just doesn’t get much better than this.

Very few groups in any class are able to achieve the quality that they maintain year after year.

On all levels, they are simply a joy to watch.

Freedom High School

This recently promoted ensemble provides yet another dramatic example of how different a show can be from Week 1 to Week 7.

Back in February, I thought that maybe the 2008 SO Silver medalists were going to need some more time to get up to get up to speed and really shine in SW class. Don’t get me wrong, their show was perfectly “fine” at the Ft. Lauderdale Regional. But it did seem as if maybe they were slightly in over their head.

As the saying goes: that was then - this is now.

This group easily gets my vote for “most improved” since the beginning of the season.

They turned-in a really strong performance on Sunday. They flagged well, their weapons work was solid, they worked well as a group and they did a great job at communicating the complex emotional aspects of their civil rights inspired show.

Unexpected inspiring moment: While the voice on the narration track is making firm, adamant statements about “I will not go” or “I shall not leave,” a member of the rifle line – a young lady who happens to be African-American - is symbolically “dragged” away in the same manner that civil rights activists often were removed from equality demonstrations during the 50s and 60s. This difficult yet important historical image is handled very respectfully and tastefully. It’s poignant, appropriate and extremely effective within the context of the performance.

On many levels - both intellectual and literal - this show really is beginning to reach its full potential.

And placing between Seminole and Choctawhatchee…??? Well, that’s excellent company for any SW guard to be keeping at this point in the season.

I have no doubt that this program will be received equally well in Dayton.

Seminole

Ok, I’m just a giant pushover for any movement from the Four Seasons, especially ‘Winter.’ So, I was instantly on their side.

They performed well as an ensemble, and they handle all of their equipment with ease. A strong group right down the line.

But for me, sometimes there was a little bit of a disconnect between the music and the equipment work. For example, during one particularly tension-filled passage in the music, everyone is using a rifle – which always creates a big, dramatic effect. But the work that’s taking place – while very clean – seems a bit slow and somewhat deliberate. Again, it doesn’t quite match the vibrancy and momentum of the musical line.

But at other times, the equipment book is beautifully written, such as the series of flag passages that close the program: vibrant, bold, and with all the fortitude of a raging, icy winter storm.

By the end of this show, I was wishing that I had ordered one of those ‘Snuggie’ things that you see being advertised on late-night TV.

Stoneman Douglas

I wasn’t sure just how much I could like a show about the stock market, money, avarice and other financial/moral travesties. But I can say that I actually enjoy this show quite a bit.

A lot of interesting, effective design and visual choices make this show memorable.

The tarp with the Wall Street imagery works even better now that all of the icons and artwork are complete. It’s one of the better floor designs that I’ve seen this season. And it’s the perfect setting for the Gordon Gecko “greed is good” speech.

Also, now the guard literally throws money around during the performance. There are piles of cash on the ground and at different moments they grab handfuls of money and toss it in the air and kick it around and stuff like that. Very effective.

All of the equipment work in the show is performed quite well, especially the thoughtfully choreographed weapon lines. We’ve come to expect a high level or performance from Stoneman Douglas and they certainly deliver again this season.

But seeing their equipment work right next to other SW groups, it does seem as if their writing isn’t quite as demanding as it’s been in years past.

Even so, they perform the heck out of it. And they still have the best “game face” of any group out there. These ladies always mean business and it shows in their performances.

Excellent review. Thank you

You are correct in your comments on Freedom. The growth of the members from Feb. to now to Dayton has been awesome. I might be a little biased, but I know back in Feb. it was looking like they were not ready to take the bite at SW, and I was in agreement with that...but they finally bought into the show the staff was putting out.. and there you have it!

Thanks again!

Bias or not, it's easy for anyone to see that this talented group of performers note only rose the occasion of being promoted into SW class but also rose to the occasion of competing at WGI Finals with some of the best scholastic guards in the entire country.

I had the opportunity to see this guard perform three times while they were in Dayton and each show - while slightly different - was solid, solid, solid all the way through. They OWNED that show.

Well done, Freedom High School...!!!

And how great is it that the State of Florida now has yet ANOTHER scholastic guard that can deliver a performance worthy of a Top 15 placement in their class finals.

(I'm already eager to see Freedom's 2010 program...!!!)

:)