WGI Judging

GUARDLING

Just wondering?????????

I was just looking at some web sites of some guards and saw a WGI judge on the staff list of a current IO guard and I know this judge has judged other open class guards at regional's...Am I wrong . I thought WGI had a no affiliation rule.

Doesn't seem ethical to me.. :big hug:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering?????????

I was just looking at some web sites of some guards and saw a WGI judge on the staff list of a current IO guard and I know this judge has judged other open class guards at regional's...Am I wrong . I thought WGI had a no affiliation rule.

Doesn't seem ethical to me.. :big hug:

The general rule in most circuits is that judges can't judge a contest in which a guard they are affiliated with is competing - but they can judge contests when they have no affiliation with any unit actually competing, including units in the same class as a unit with which they are affiliated.

Despite the rather lucrative pay, WGI and most local circuits are actually pretty hard-up to find enough qualified and respected judges - and enough variety over the season. Grousing about the low-caliber of judging panels has got to be the most frequently-heard complaint in this activity. I suspect that it would be very hard for WGI or our local circuits to fill enough judging panels if judges were banned from judging whole classes because of affiliation with any unit in the class, no matter how distant and absent.

Many of the best judges, especially WGI judges, that I have known over the years have also been active designers and instructors. These kinds of folks usually give the best feedback and fairest scores because they are right down in the trenches with the rest of us and understand current conditions in the activity - intimately. And they are very aware that their judging will be minutely examined by some suspicious unit members and staff who consider them to be competitors, rather than colleagues.

It is best to define affiliation narrowly, because if you try to broaden the definition at all, it tends to eliminate almost everyone with good skills and advice to contribute - and leaves only old washed-up dinosaurs eligible to judge. I'm fifty-seven years old, but I feel like a spring chicken compared to the far too numerous old codger judges still grieving over the demise of the tic system.

At a local competition earlier this year, we were delighted to find that one of the judges was affiliated with the unit that beat our winterguard last year at WGI Finals (and we expected to be a very serious competitor this year). He gave us great scores, great feedback, and loads of good advice over beers afterward.

At circuit finals, when all the units in the circuit are competing, affiliation tends to eliminate some of the best judges we most want to have feedback from on the eve of WGI.

Over the years, there have always been a few (or more) judges who are real stinkers. A frequent WGI judge got banned from our state circuit - but not for sex. Their crime was just egregiously bad judging, by any standard, and unrelated to any kind of conspicuous affiliation. And I would much rather face a judging panel of peers than the usual loose cannons we too frequently get.

The general rule in most circuits is that judges can't judge a contest in which a guard they are affiliated with is competing - but they can judge contests when they have no affiliation with any unit actually competing, including units in the same class as a unit with which they are affiliated.

Despite the rather lucrative pay, WGI and most local circuits are actually pretty hard-up to find enough qualified and respected judges - and enough variety over the season. Grousing about the low-caliber of judging panels has got to be the most frequently-heard complaint in this activity. I suspect that it would be very hard for WGI or our local circuits to fill enough judging panels if judges were banned from judging whole classes because of affiliation with any unit in the class, no matter how distant and absent.

Many of the best judges, especially WGI judges, that I have known over the years have also been active designers and instructors. These kinds of folks usually give the best feedback and fairest scores because they are right down in the trenches with the rest of us and understand current conditions in the activity - intimately. And they are very aware that their judging will be minutely examined by some suspicious unit members and staff who consider them to be competitors, rather than colleagues.

It is best to define affiliation narrowly, because if you try to broaden the definition at all, it tends to eliminate almost everyone with good skills and advice to contribute - and leaves only old washed-up dinosaurs eligible to judge. I'm fifty-seven years old, but I feel like a spring chicken compared to the far too numerous old codger judges still grieving over the demise of the tic system.

At a local competition earlier this year, we were delighted to find that one of the judges was affiliated with the unit that beat our winterguard last year at WGI Finals (and we expected to be a very serious competitor this year). He gave us great scores, great feedback, and loads of good advice over beers afterward.

At circuit finals, when all the units in the circuit are competing, affiliation tends to eliminate some of the best judges we most want to have feedback from on the eve of WGI.

Over the years, there have always been a few (or more) judges who are real stinkers. A frequent WGI judge got banned from our state circuit - but not for sex. Their crime was just egregiously bad judging, by any standard, and unrelated to any kind of conspicuous affiliation. And I would much rather face a judging panel of peers than the usual loose cannons we too frequently get.

I would tend to agree with you. I was just curious. I know local circuits this happens all the time BUT I also know that I know of some who have judged and because of Band affiliations to the HS guard as well as costume design companies doing business etc etc etc..WGI was very careful on those affiliations and bared some from judging. But then again WGI makes up rules as they go along...no secret there..lol

Thanks for your response :big hug:

Although WGI judges do seem to have a penchanct for sex crimes. At least three names come to mind...