WGI Judging

GUARDLING

Anyone know the answer to the original question? I know someome also judging regionals and judging the same class he has a guard in. Not at the same regional but the same class.

Yes. I think PC answered it very accurately. They can't judge a class in a contest in which their own unit is competing.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know the answer to the original question? I know someome also judging regionals and judging the same class he has a guard in. Not at the same regional but the same class.

I have asked the same question to a couple of WGI contest cordinator and was told "so long as the group they work with is not competing at the regional, in the class they are judging then it is fine.

I have asked the same question to a couple of WGI contest cordinator and was told "so long as the group they work with is not competing at the regional, in the class they are judging then it is fine.

That's funny because I asked also and was told there should be NO affiliation...HMMMMMMM is this another WGI double standard....seems so !!!!!!

There should be NO affiliation.

From the WGI manual...

JUDGES CODE OF ETHICS

AFFILIATION: A WGI judge must disclose any affiliation with any unit based on the following definitions:

PRIMARY AFFILIATION: Designer, instructor, or management of the competing unit. A judge with a

primary affiliation may not adjudicate the class where their affiliation exists.

SECONDARY AFFILIATION: Any judge who receives compensation from the school, and/or sponsoring

organization and any related organization that sponsors or supports the competing unit i.e. an individual

who teaches in the school or who might teach or provide other services for the sponsoring organization.

Also, any judge who through family, spouse or significant other who has a primary affiliation as described

above. These affiliations will be reviewed on a case by case basis. A judge with a secondary affiliation may

judge in their affiliated class as long as the unit they are affiliated with is not competing at that contest.

Individuals may not judge for WGI if they are still performing in any color guard.

CHIEF JUDGES may not have any primary affiliations. Members of the Color Guard Advisory Board who

are also active WGI judges are not eligible to run for positions on the Steering Committee. This would

constitute a conflict of interest in dealing with both judge and instructor issues.

CONSULTATIONS: A current WGI Judge is not permitted to give any consultation to any color guard.

CONDUCT: No judge may display interest or preference toward any competing guard they may judge.

Wearing a unit's insignia is forbidden. Judges are encouraged to give input regarding the ethical

standards of the judging community. This should be handled through the Chief Judge.

From the WGI manual...

JUDGES CODE OF ETHICS

AFFILIATION: A WGI judge must disclose any affiliation with any unit based on the following definitions:

PRIMARY AFFILIATION: Designer, instructor, or management of the competing unit. A judge with a

primary affiliation may not adjudicate the class where their affiliation exists.

SECONDARY AFFILIATION: Any judge who receives compensation from the school, and/or sponsoring

organization and any related organization that sponsors or supports the competing unit i.e. an individual

who teaches in the school or who might teach or provide other services for the sponsoring organization.

Also, any judge who through family, spouse or significant other who has a primary affiliation as described

above. These affiliations will be reviewed on a case by case basis. A judge with a secondary affiliation may

judge in their affiliated class as long as the unit they are affiliated with is not competing at that contest.

Individuals may not judge for WGI if they are still performing in any color guard.

CHIEF JUDGES may not have any primary affiliations. Members of the Color Guard Advisory Board who

are also active WGI judges are not eligible to run for positions on the Steering Committee. This would

constitute a conflict of interest in dealing with both judge and instructor issues.

CONSULTATIONS: A current WGI Judge is not permitted to give any consultation to any color guard.

CONDUCT: No judge may display interest or preference toward any competing guard they may judge.

Wearing a unit's insignia is forbidden. Judges are encouraged to give input regarding the ethical

standards of the judging community. This should be handled through the Chief Judge.

If this in fact is true then there has been a blatant disregard for the rule by a well known established Judge...Im sure " HE " says he's secondary " Although to talk to him he's the reason for the huge success, which then will make it ok I guess..OOOOO That fine line WGI walks to allow a loop hole in.

From the WGI manual...

JUDGES CODE OF ETHICS

I think that you are missing the application of the policy. Tack the words "...at a contest where their affilated unit is competing." onto the last sentence and this may explain the application.

As originally stated by PC, there is a shortage of quality judging. If a qualified judge would not be able to judge a certain class at any contest because of a secondary or primary affiliation, then you have effectively cut that judge out of judging for WGI AT ALL, since they would not be able to judge that class at any regional. WGI is not going to spend additional money bringing in another judge to cover one judge's class affiliation problem. It is just too expensive to do that. If they followed this policy in the strictest sense, they would only be able to use judges with zero affiliations in any class. That leaves very few judges left to judge because there are so many secondary affilliations alone out there. So I believe the application of this policy is has been concerning affiliations which exist at a contest where the affilated group is competing, not at contests where they are not competing.

And as PC also mentioned, judges are under constant scrutiny. Moreso for these judges. I guarantee that someone would notice improprieties in the application of the juding system by a judge that has a class affiliation. In fact, these affiliated judges tend to be more than fair (over compensate) so they are not perceived as cheating.

I think that you are missing the application of the policy. Tack the words "...at a contest where their affilated unit is competing." onto the last sentence and this may explain the application.............

However as stated in the WGI manual, that extra line only applies to secondary affiliations.

JUDGES CODE OF ETHICS

I completely understand the argument of not enough judges. That is how we end up with some people judging that, even though they have received the training, probably shouldn't be judging. This is a problem that will be ongoing until there are enough instructors that are willing to move into judging after they decide to no longer instruct. However with the way the it is currently written,

A judge with a primary affiliation may not adjudicate the class where their affiliation exists.

This is the rule and should be enforced as such. So to answer the original question, you are correct. WGI does have a no affiliation rule.

WGI and judging.....

Totally incestuous in the non-traditional sense of the word.....

Judges who teach a particular group head to a regional for a judging assignment and end up rooming with someone who will judge their guard in Dayton, etc. It amounts to a one-on-one briefing and advice session in the hotel room........

People judging groups taught by a very close friend or relative or a spouse's close friend, etc.

There was a proposal a few years ago for judges to make a choice: judge or teach. It never got to the floor for a vote. After all, why do only one when you can do both, double dip for money and have the chance for prolonged critique at a regional (see above)......

There was also a proposal of sorts which would have required judges to take a season off and return to the teaching ranks for a year. The thought process was to provide a reality check for the judge. That never got to the floor either, I believe.

There are people judging WGI who haven't taught for 20 or 30 years. That's just wrong when you think about how much the activity has changed during that time period.