Strange jumps in 1975 "A" Class

I was looking at scores from 1975 and noticed that at the US Open (A Class) which was won by the Greece Cadets BUT 2nd place went to Gauchos who took 6th (missed finals) at DCI Championships. Gauchos, at US Open, beat Glassmen (3rd), Charioteers (5th), Floridians (6th). Check out these scores:

DCI Aug 13-16 US Open August 8-9

1. Greece Cadets 71.35 1. Greece Cadets 67.70

2. Charioteers 68.60 2. Gauchos 62.05

3. Floridians 64.75 3. Glassmen 61.00

4. Seattle Marksmen 63.35 4. Capitolaires 60.40

5. Glassmen 63.05 5. Charioteers 57.55

6. Floridians 56.60

6th (prelims) Gauchos 62.20

Interesting movements! Any recollections as to how Charioteers and Floridians jumped so much?

Even more interesting......at the American-International Open, here were the scores

August 5 and 6

1. Marquis 74.95

2. Greece cadets 72.50

3. Gauchos 69.15

4. Glassmen 67.40

5. Black Knights (NY) 65.85

6. Royal Knights 63.75

7. Floridians 60.95

They didn't compete until August? WOW! Wonder what they did in June and July.....I guess practice their stones off.

The U.S. Open was the first contest of the year for the Floridians, and just the second contest of the year for the Charioteers, so I guess you could expect a substantial gain in points, even in just a week's time.

fun to look at these scores... don't forget they were under the tick system and strange things often happened as you added judges at these big shows from around the country who brought with them vastly differing tolerance levels... Also on any caption, it was usually the judge's first viewing of the corps and we all know the variances that can bring with it..

and just think... I was co-founder of two of these corps... Fulton, NY Gauchos & Oswego, NY Black Knights

I was so busy in the late 60's and early 70's I don't know how I found time to get married and have 3 kids... and did all this while still marching with either Brigadiers or Crusaders... I keep telling people what a saint my wife is... believe me - it's true... can't believe she tolerated this for over 40 years...

You were very lucky Tom! My first wife (as you know) was a drum corps person but after a while...she was through with it. My second wife is a music professor but couldn't stand sitting in the stands and would NEVER be in the pit in the hot sun. My present wife is just to wonderful to be away from. I still have a crush on her and she still makes my heart skip a beat every time I see her, hold her hand or kiss her.

I know in my corps we would do terrible in NY but when we went out of state we would do better. Case in point....1972 we never beat Greece Cadets in NY but did in the US Open.

As for the Fulton Gauchos and Black Knights...these corps had huge potential to advance and it was to bad that they didn't stay around and get bigger and better.

fun to look at these scores... don't forget they were under the tick system and strange things often happened as you added judges at these big shows from around the country who brought with them vastly differing tolerance levels... Also on any caption, it was usually the judge's first viewing of the corps and we all know the variances that can bring with it..

and just think... I was co-founder of two of these corps... Fulton, NY Gauchos & Oswego, NY Black Knights

I was so busy in the late 60's and early 70's I don't know how I found time to get married and have 3 kids... and did all this while still marching with either Brigadiers or Crusaders... I keep telling people what a saint my wife is... believe me - it's true... can't believe she tolerated this for over 40 years...

lol Keith

I remember your first wife well... I was her section leader... despite your problems later she was a great drum corps person back then... "swivel hips" remember her well... gotta love mellophone players...

as for Oswego and Fulton not succeeding... the demographics of the area doomed them... just too small populations... maybe I need to take part of the blame as I had to give up both to keep marching myself and begin my judging career...

Of course I was a founding member of the Fulton Gauchos senior corps and by the 70's they had turned junior - Ed Tryniski and Dave Hallstead had a lot to do with them and they had the great talent of another founding member Gaucho - the late great Dave Firenzi... David's father Sam was the Gaucho's first drum major...

I remember my first show in Oswego, probably July 4th weekend with Squires winning and Guachos, Greece, Black Knights, Les Compagnon, Ambassadors (Ascots), maybe Alpine Girls and Mello Dears, I forgot who else. Somewhere in my parents home are pictures of a short 11 yr.old next to two guys way taller than me. Now I am taller then them. In fact one may be Dave Plachta who is with SoCal Dream.

lol Keith

I remember your first wife well... I was her section leader... despite your problems later she was a great drum corps person back then... "swivel hips" remember her well... gotta love mellophone players...

as for Oswego and Fulton not succeeding... the demographics of the area doomed them... just too small populations... maybe I need to take part of the blame as I had to give up both to keep marching myself and begin my judging career...

Of course I was a founding member of the Fulton Gauchos senior corps and by the 70's they had turned junior - Ed Tryniski and Dave Hallstead had a lot to do with them and they had the great talent of another founding member Gaucho - the late great Dave Firenzi... David's father Sam was the Gaucho's first drum major...

1975 was a very good year for class A. This was the first year that the US. Open and DCI had Class A Shows. For Class A the US Open was a bigger Show then DCI Class A. 75 was the first year that the Glassmen took a road trip longer then a weekend. We took off on a 2 week road trip with yellow school buses and no food truck that ended in Philly. I was 13 with little to no money at the time and I can say that there were times when I wish I had a P&J sandwich to eat. Yes the tic system played a very big part. But I would like to add that food or lack of, played a part also. Our goal that year was not winning DCI or the US Open it was beating the Marion Cadets at VFW and we did. One must also remember there were some different rules for DCI. For example we could move more in concert at DCI. We had to change parts of our Show to score well at DCI. So I am sure other DBC's were dealing with the same issues. We were third out of 42 Class A and All Girl DBC's at the US Open. And 5th out of 29 DBC's at DCI. Yesterday the US Open and DCI was no big deal because we didn't win. Today, I am honored to have made Finals with the Glassmen at the first ever US Open and DCI Class A Finals. By the way, our Drumline carried us. They won high Drums at all Shows. At DCI Finals they won every caption except one. Ken Mazur was part of this great Drumline. I was 3rd Sop on a "One Value Bugle" (Thank You Frank)

Dean

1975 was not the first year that the US Open had "A" Class, it was the first year that DCI had "A" Class finals.

Corps members today would have hated riding across the country in used school buses like many of us did. Stopping at McDonald's, Burger King, etc was a drum corps staple and that is why many members would pass out after a performance.

1975 was a very good year for class A. This was the first year that the US. Open and DCI had Class A Shows. For Class A the US Open was a bigger Show then DCI Class A. 75 was the first year that the Glassmen took a road trip longer then a weekend. We took off on a 2 week road trip with yellow school buses and no food truck that ended in Philly. I was 13 with little to no money at the time and I can say that there were times when I wish I had a P&J sandwich to eat. Yes the tic system played a very big part. But I would like to add that food or lack of, played a part also. Our goal that year was not winning DCI or the US Open it was beating the Marion Cadets at VFW and we did. One must also remember there were some different rules for DCI. For example we could move more in concert at DCI. We had to change parts of our Show to score well at DCI. So I am sure other DBC's were dealing with the same issues. We were third out of 42 Class A and All Girl DBC's at the US Open. And 5th out of 29 DBC's at DCI. Yesterday the US Open and DCI was no big deal because we didn't win. Today, I am honored to have made Finals with the Glassmen at the first ever US Open and DCI Class A Finals. By the way, our Drumline carried us. They won high Drums at all Shows. At DCI Finals they won every caption except one. Ken Mazur was part of this great Drumline. I was 3rd Sop on a "One Value Bugle" (Thank You Frank)

Dean