OT [sort of]: I wanna play in that tenor section

Jim Nevermann

are those concert snares?

Yes. Concert snares are routinely used in European marching bands.

that tenor section rocks

I'd never, ever have thought of such special-use drums, but they makes perfect sense.

See, since the military marching band's job, in part, is to provide a consistent marchable beat for brigades of troops on parade, then you put the band [and those tenors] in the center of the brigades. That way, even if they can't hear the band's music, the furthest forward and farthest back brigades --and every one in between-- would more likely be able to hear those front & back aimed tenors keeping cadence for them. One conventionally carried, side-to-side aimed bass drum just couldn't do it as effectively. Troops in step always look professional, so those "cadence tenors" [my phrase] would help the troop's overall impact.

What a simple, practical solution. :devil:

The skinny snares and the side-carried tenors allow the drummers to do the same HMT as the musicians.

And also the requisite goose-step to "J. C. Superstar".

The skinny snares and the side-carried tenors allow the drummers to do the same HMT as the musicians.

Joining my first corps in 1965 [Scarlet Lancers, Wichita KS] I distinctly remember the Hutchinson KS Sky Ryders snares & tenors who, like everyone else used slings & leg rests, lifting only their right legs... which added continuity to the HMT [both legs] of the horns & guard. Really, it looked kind of neat.

Edited by Jim Nevermann