Dixie Stinger 2009 Review

This is the first time I am going to sit down and do a review so please bear with me.

This is my first time back to the Dixie Stinger since the Westshoremen performed for you folks in the early 1990's. There is something to be said about southern hospitality which there was tons of and this northern boy loved every minute of it, we will be back next year! The food was excellent and not over-priced. Fran, other than blinding us with your shirt, you are always the perfect host and I think the party next year should be at your place! :soapbox:

On with the review:

Archer Epler Alumni Corps.

Small in numbers, but big in sound! They played songs that I remember hearing as a little one sitting in the bleachers at the Hersheypark Stadium (thanks for screwing that up Hershey!!) The hornline delivered a constant wall of sound and the drumline made their presence known, but did not overplay the hornline at all. Very nice package.

Mason-Dixon Drumline.

I remember they were on the flyer for the Stinger last year, but did not get down to see the show. That was last year. This year I got my chance. If you enjoy watching old school drumming like I do, you really need to check this group out! Fran made the comment that they have combined 300 years experience between the members of which there were seven. (they were short one person) Then the spokesperson said that actually, they have over 300 years experience between marching and playing. Let me tell you, they showed why they have that many years experience. I wish I had just a little bit of the chops they have! They played everything rudimental style and was incredible! Then they used rope drums which turned everything up another notch and again, was incredible! Can't wait to see them again next year!

Swing House.

Next up, was Swing House. This was the first public appearance by this organization after being formed in November 2008, and after giving almost 24 hours for their show to sink in, I'm still speechless. To say this show was incredible, really would not do it justice. Let me break this into horns and set drummer. The horns which numbered around 25 or so had a full all around sound that you really don't hear unless you have 45 horns or more. The full brass sound was there, was just incredible! Then, there was John Rozum on the kit. What can I say? The man is incredible! Nothing that he played was easy, yet he made it look like anyone could sit behind a kit and play the way he did. I learned more about playing a kit just by watching him, then I ever know was possible! John, you are the man! :mat::devil::mad:

For anyone who was not at the Stinger last night and are going to Serenade in Brass, when Swing House takes the stage, you are gonna be blown away! This group is just phenominal!!

Blessed Sacrament.

I really felt sorry for anyone who had to follow Swing House, but I should have known better. Blessed Sac was the first corps of the evening to have the drumline up on stage, and the hornline in the orchestra pit. Because this was general seating, I decided to sit as close to the front as I could, four rows from the front. I figured that should be close enough for this drum corps junkie. As it turned out, it was the right choice! Blessed Sac played through several of their hits from the past. I was lucky enough to be sitting right where the soloists stood to play and it was great! The full horn sound was there and the drumline did not overpower the horns but showed control and why Blessed Sac plays as well as they do!

Yankee Rebels.

Time for the host of the evening, The Yankee Rebels. First, let me say congratulations on your new sponsor, the Dundalk American Legion Post #58! It's always a pleasure to sit and listen to the Yankee Rebels. They always entertain the crowd! Nice full brass sound from the hornline as always and the drumline complimented the hornline tonight! I know when you get new drums, it's tough to hold back on the volume control but the Rebels did a great job of showing control.

Bayonne Bridgemen.

Since the Bridgemen will not be at Serenade in Brass this year, I had to get my fix somehow! When I took a look at the program and saw more hits from Bayonne's past, I could not wait. Pagliacci sounded every bit as great on stage as it did on the field years ago. Last year, when I had the chance to see the Bridgemen play Big Noise after we had played the tune on stage was a big rush for me! For me to get to hear the chart again last night was an even bigger rush since this was always my favorite DCI corps and they played the chart as only the Bridgemen can. I really enjoyed getting to see the Bridgemen again!

Reilly Raiders.

The last time I was able to see this corps, was in a parade in Harrisburg during January when it was so cold and yet the corps had a full look as well as a full sound. Well, last night was no different, the corps had a full look and a full sound to match! I believe if you would have had anymore horns with you, you would have had to move them down into the orchestra pit, that was one full stage!

Hawthorne Caballeros

What a way to close a show! Drums upon stage and horns down in the orchestra pit. WOW!! What a sound!! My hearing has finally come back. I had heard this corps during sound check, and could not wait to see them. I thought they were great during the check, but when they put the uniforms on, I swear they crank the show up another two notches at least and just let it all hang out! From the screaming sopranos to the guys who lay down the latin grooves and everyone else in between, don't change a thing! I love to have a corps come out and move the seats back about 6 feet like you did on Saturday night! What a blast from the past! I was trying to explain to my fiance about how Hawthorne has a signature tune, but then I started to think about it and told her to forget what I told her, everything they play is a signature tune! She is looking forward to seeing your corps at Serenade in two weeks!

This was my fiance's first exposure to drum corps and after the night was over I asked her what she thought. She replied, "huh? I can't hear a thing but it was great!"

A few random thoughts. TennTux, it was a pleasure to meet you, it's always great to be able to put a face to a user on here. I'm sure I will be seeing you at shows this summer. Barb, as always, it's great to see you and to see that you are doing really well!! To the entire Yankee Rebels organization, congrats on another successful Dixie Stinger and we look forward to coming down again next year! I also plan on getting a small notebook and taking that along with a writing utensil for notes so I don't have to sit at my pc for hours trying to remember everything, especially after being blown away by Swing House. I really mean it, those that did not go to the Stinger are really in for a treat in Harrisburg! For information about Serenade in Brass, check out www.fivestarbrass.com.

Thanks for the review, Scott.... it was great to see you and meet your fiance at the show!

It was a good night of "old-time" drum corps in Baltimore. I give the performers in the corps a lot of credit for doing as well as they all did.... it was REALLY warm backstage and on the stage. I had to take a few breaks during the performances and step outside to get some cool air.

As Scott said... several of the corps at the Stinger will be in Harrisburg on April 18..... and again at the Buccaneers' Spring Preview show in Elverson, PA, on May 9.

So...if you missed this show... you have two more chances to catch some great drum corps entertainment before the summer competition season begins!

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

This is the first time I am going to sit down and do a review so please bear with me.

A few random thoughts. TennTux, it was a pleasure to meet you, it's always great to be able to put a face to a user on here. I'm sure I will be seeing you at shows this summer.

Scott,

Thanks, great review! :mad:

It was a pleasure to meet you and your fiancé. I'm glad she is recovering well and will be ready for Harrisburg. LOL Donna and I will be sitting with Fran and Barb in Harrisburg and we're looking forward to another great night of Drum Corps.

Here are some of the pics from the Stinger.... :soapbox:

(alphabetical, not order of appearance)

4/4/09 Dixie Stinger, Emcee Extraordinaire Mr. Fran Haring

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundm/sets/72157616411102724/

4/4/09 Dixie Stinger (Archer Epler, rehearsal)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundm/sets/72157616317495439/

4/4/09 Dixie Stinger, Archer Epler

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundm/sets/72157616407410938/

4/4/09 Dixie Stinger, Bridgemen Alumni

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundm/sets/72157616317879357/

4/4/09 Dixie Stinger, BSGK Alumni

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundm/sets/72157616318001757/

4/4/09 Dixie Stinger, Cabs Alumni

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundm/sets/72157616318305309/

4/4/09 Dixie Stinger, Mason Dixon Line - Percussion Ensemble

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundm/sets/72157616408444202/

4/4/09 Dixie Stinger, Reilly Raiders

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundm/sets/72157616409309384/

4/4/09 Dixie Stinger, Swing House, Inc

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundm/sets/72157616320384771/

4/4/09 Dixie Stinger, Yankee Rebels

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sundm/sets/72157616410720578/

Thanks for the review, Scott.... it was great to see you and meet your fiance at the show!

It was a good night of "old-time" drum corps in Baltimore. I give the performers in the corps a lot of credit for doing as well as they all did.... it was REALLY warm backstage and on the stage. I had to take a few breaks during the performances and step outside to get some cool air.

As Scott said... several of the corps at the Stinger will be in Harrisburg on April 18..... and again at the Buccaneers' Spring Preview show in Elverson, PA, on May 9.

So...if you missed this show... you have two more chances to catch some great drum cprps entertainment before the summer competition season begins!

Fran

Fran,

You did an outstanding job Saturday night at the Stinger, just as you always do, at every show you do.

Thank you my friend.

Bob C.

Joel Leson's review, posted on the dcot60sa70s site. With Joel's permission to post it here...

The Dixie Stinger for 2009 is history and what history it is!

From the Yankee Rebels' Danny Fitzpatrick's beautiful opening notes of the Star Spangled Banner to the Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni's last powerful chord - and every presentation in between - this 19th annual event was another outstanding Yankee Rebels' production. Once again, the masterful Fran Haring served as MC of this extraordinary event Thanks Fran!!!!!!

I won't review each Corps' show, but rather make some observations about the overall evening. I'll just say that every outfit on the program outdid itself on the stage and as our honored guests.

As a drum corps guy ever since 1954 (I'm 65) I felt a true spirit of camaraderie, fraternity/sorority and reunion as the musical units arrived at Parkville High School in Baltimore. The feeling of "why we love our hobby" was in the air, as much smiling, hugging, back-slapping and a few tears were seen. Starting with meeting our website's "boss" Tony and his lovely wife Donna (what a great couple!!!) to seeing more old friends than I can count, it made me feel like a kid again - and Lord knows we all need that feeling now and then.

Dr. Mark Fulcomer and his band of "Musketeers" were a joy to see. Carol and Chas Coffman and their beautiful grandchildren; Bill Ives' traveling museum of drum corps uniforms and memorabilia; fellow Vasella member, Dennis Marta; Mike Siglow and the debut of the US Army's Sgt Patrick Taylor as drum major made this former Archieman so very proud. Archie is the "Father of the Alumni Movement" and the Corps continues to hold up its end of that bargain each year by bringing Archer-Epler's sterling reputation to the Stinger. In drum corps lore, remember that Archie is the only corps to have won both the VFW National Junior (pre-WW II) and Senior titles (1954).

Bill "Mo" Mojica's Mason-Dixon Drum Line and all the experienced percussionists in it made my day with the Reely father and son team and husband and wife duo, Danny and Lynn Magsamen, participating as well in this outstanding ensemble. This is another of the distinctive groups that have grown out of the drum and bugle corps genre - and like so many of those groups, it brings the best of all skills and talent with it.

The new and unique ["Swing House, Inc." was there. Made-up of drum and bugle corps and band musicians, from six of our United States, with music arranged and conducted by the inimitable Larry Kerchner and the ensemble directed by Bill "Florida" Rasmussen, "you ain't heard nuttin' yet" until you've heard this rising star on the brass and percussion scene. Add the talent of Curt Hawkins, George Hadley, Joe Silverstein, Phil Gentile, Bob Gaff, Cindy Crawford, Butch Myers, Eddie Lynd, Cliff Richmond, Annette Costa, Gary Dickelman and so many other veterans of our hobby and voila, you have pure magic.

Then there was the Blessed Sacrament "Golden Knights", my favorite junior drum and bugle corps of all time! Bill Lemp, a former police officer, fellow Vietnam vet, and all around Great American was there. It's always a privilege to see you William! Ron Bonnadonna, Art Farrell, and fellow Vagabond Bill Lewis, a lady soprano whose name I forget (forgive my rotten memory folks) and one of the new DMs were fun speaking with. I finally had the pleasure of meeting "Baby John" of Atlanta, GA. Hey John, I'd love to talk old drum corps with you and all the stuff that Dickeleman has told me about you. Trust me, it's all good. When those gold, black and white uniforms come on the scene, it brings back the best years of drum corps to me.

This is my 10th year as a Yankee Rebel. All I can say is with Phil Gentile, his staff, our corps and all of our volunteers, from the Junior Marine ROTC young men and women doing traffic control and parking cars, to our wives, children and sweethearts taking tickets and running one hell of a dining room, I am blessed to be a member of such a fine organization!!!!!!! The "Dixie Stinger" IS without a doubt one of the finest indoor shows you'll ever attend. It is the season's first big event and it is conducted in a well-organized, friendly setting. Thanks Phil for your leadership and thanks to all of my fellow Rebs for all that you do to make our Corps so much fun and a joy to be a part of. Special thanks to Larry Kerchner, John Flowers, "Gabe" Gabriel, Ray Eyler Ron Church, Jack Doster, Sr. and Director Emeritus George Bull, Frank "Bubs" Assaro, Gary Dickelman, Charlie Lyon (get well soon, Charlie) and John Manlove for all that you do to make the Yankee Rebels possible.

When I arrived at Parkville High at 11:30 a.m., the Bayonne Bridgemen were already there and rehearsing outside. This was the Bridgmen's first appearance at a Dixie Stinger. If there is anything I love more than a drum and bugle corps show, it's the enthusiasm and energy that a corps has off the stage or field. Man o'man, you haven't seen such enthusiasm until you've seen this wonderful Corps. And, what a fun and friendly Corps they are. To George Lavelle and all of you yellow-coated guys and gals, it was a treat to have you join in the musical, "reunion" action. You have re-created your extraordinary corps in a way of which you should all be very proud. See you in Bayonne and I look forward to meeting many of you. Ms. Bicking, well done, my friend!!!!!

If Irish eyes are smiling, it's because the Reilly Raiders are in range. When Frankie Neill's "Irish Brigade" arrives it brings with it so many of the Raiders who were there when the "crying towel" was passed back and forth between Reilly's "Wild Bill" Hooton and Archie's Vinnie Deegan or Bud Johnson (these three are no longer with us, May God Bless Them!) The "Reilly Spirit" is a very special thing. The Corps is a family, proud of its heritage and pleased to be a part of the alumni movement. Seeing old friends, Harry and Kathy Hook, Jack McDevitt, the "Red Shamrocks" Kenny Newman, Joe Ledwith and Billy Kaufmann (we were in Archie together way back when), Bill Pusey and Eric Landis and so many others made my day. Here's my usual salute to Joan Metzger and the Reilly Silk Line, one of the sharpest, snappiest such lines in the alumni movement. Love you Viv!!!! "Hoot", it was good to see ya!!! Take good care.

George Hayek and John Mehrtens - having written those names I could easily say that I have nothing else to write about the Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni Drum and Bugle Corps. These are "members emeritus" of the drum and bugle corps world and the core of the Hawthorne Corps, in my humble opinion. It is always an honor to speak with these men and I had that honor last Saturday! George and John, I'llsee you at the GAS reunion. Now let me tell you about Peter Bishop and his musical aggregation. Well-organized, well-tuned and better than ever, Hawthorne has re-created itself in Jim Costello's disciplined, meticulous mold. Under the baton of Jimmy Russo, who even after a hip replacement, let nothing stand in his way of being, well, being the indefatigable Jimmy Russo, Hawthorne is a power house! As I said, I won't review the Corps' show by each number played, but their presenation was everything a corps show should be and then some. Larry Kerchner and John Smith have talent galore to work with and they have taken that talent to new heights. Peter my friend, you done good!!!!! So have you Annette, Bobby, Bonnie, Chris W. (glad to see you fighting as you do. I wish I had your courage- Love Ya) Cindy, Dave, Donny, John, Larry, Louie, Mark and Wags (Our "Rebelleros".)

Carol and Warren "cookie" Cooke, thanks so much for making the trip up from Chesapeake, VA to Bal'mer. As always, it's great to see you. Thanks for keeping the USAF Drum and Bugle Corps (Bolling Air Force Base) spirit alive and always supporting your old corps, too!!! Our good friend Chicki Schmidt of the Audubon "Bon Bons" Chorus and formerly of the Yankee Rebels was there, too, on behalf of the Cocker Spaniel Adoption Center of Westminster, MD. Chicki, keep up the great work you are doing with this most worthy group.

That's it folks. I apologize to anyone whose name I may not have mentioned. Believe me, I enjoyed seeing so many old friends and meeting so many new ones. It was a terrific day and on behalf of the Yankee Rebels please accept our thanks for making it all that we wanted it to be. For those who attended, we sincerely hope you enjoyed it. Many thanks.

I hope to see everyone during the season and PLEASE SUPPORT all of the shows sponsored by our fellow drum and bugle corps.

Warm regards,

Joel

If I may, I'd like to comment on the two reviews so far:

Scott, for a first-ever review it was great! You had no reason to beg our indulgence, because you wrote a very good piece. Keep up the good work! Also, thanks for the kind words about us. We had a good time performing for the Dixie Stinger crowd.

Joel (via Tony!), you also did an excellent write up, and the Rebels ran a really fine show. Thank you also for the nice comments as well as the chance to appear again at the 'Stinger!' The crowd was absolutely amazing to play for.

And Tony, thanks for posting the pictures of all the corps, and especially ours. (Maybe next time a few more drumline photos? LOL!)

Thanks for the great reviews! The audience was really outstanding, and it was a pleasure to perform for such energetic, and appreciative fans! The corps, and I were thrilled with the incredible rapport that we shared with those in attendance!

Thank you to everyone for the love, and appreciation that you showered upon us.

As mentioned already, it was a great show, and the Yankee Rebels were terrific hosts! Special thanks go out to Phil, Bea, Gus, and Tony, and the entire Yankee Rebel Family for all of your assistance, and hospitality before, during, and after the show. Everything was first-rate, and the food was absolutely delicious! (As evidenced by our big appetites, right? LOL) Looking forward to returning the hospitality, and kindness to y'all when you visit Bayonne on Saturday, June 13th, for our show, the "Tournament of Stars".

And thank you to Fran Haring for your always amazing job as Master of Ceremonies!

From what I could hear, all of the corps sounded great! I was able to watch the Cabs, and, of course, I am biased, but I have to say that you were just outstanding! The soloists were amazing, and Jimmy Russo, it was wonderful to see you up there conducting, looking awesome, as usual!!! Love ya, my brother!

Thanks to all for making the first Dixie Stinger a very special experience for myself, and for all of the Bridgemen!

It was truly a night to remember!

If I may, I'd like to comment on the two reviews so far:

Scott, for a first-ever review it was great! You had no reason to beg our indulgence, because you wrote a very good piece. Keep up the good work! Also, thanks for the kind words about us. We had a good time performing for the Dixie Stinger crowd.

Joel (via Tony!), you also did an excellent write up, and the Rebels ran a really fine show. Thank you also for the nice comments as well as the chance to appear again at the 'Stinger!' The crowd was absolutely amazing to play for.

And Tony, thanks for posting the pictures of all the corps, and especially ours. (Maybe next time a few more drumline photos? LOL!)

John,

I will so long as I can see'em...hehe :worthy:

I should have taken more Drum Line pics as the Horn Line was standing on the floor but at 5' 6" it's still a challenge seeing over them...LOL That and we in the front row didn't have much room to stand with the soloists, duet's and ensembles standing in our laps...LOL (not that *I* have a lap anymore)

It truly was a remarkable day.

I hadn't had much sleep for the 3 weeks leading up to this event, but wasn't complaining.

It was our season preview! A day I had been looking on with much excitement.

The lack of sleep was from memorising 2 books of music. Cabs. alum., Rebels. As well as Swing Houses book.

I'm really pushing the envelope this year. LOL But my sleepless nights are paying off.

I ran around, like a chicken with it's head cut off, on saturday. Going from warm ups to stage rehearsals to performing

and had a big grin on my face the whole time. My lip didn't let me down. I was good to go at days end.

I thought last year being my first with the Cabs alumni was my best year as of yet. But couldn't have been more wrong.

Being a part of Swing House is truly remarkable. This is going to be a memory I will cherish.

Most of you know I began doing this, Nov. 2004. In order to read my fathers music and play it.

Well, I haven't played much of Dads stuff, but If I can't play Dads arrangements, Larry Kerchners music is the only music I

prefer to play. He is a remarkable composer and arranger. My father would be so very pleased with what Larry has done for the Rebels

as well as for myself.

If you missed the Stinger I hope you get a chance to go to the Forum in 2 weeks. It will without a doubt be an awsome show.

Just look at the line up! Outstanding.