2008 Promotions - Some Stats

I was curious about how well the new promotion process worked from 2008 - 2009. Here are some status. Based on this it appears that independent groups handle this transition much easier than scholastic units. What are peoples thoughts on the current promotion system and what changes would you make going forward.

Guard promoted from Scholastic A to Scholastic Open

15 guard were promoted

11 attended 2009 championships

3 made semi-finals

2 made finals

1 moved to Scholastic World and came in 17th place

Guards promoted from Scholastic Open to Scholastic World

5 guards were promoted and all attended 2009 championships

1 made finals

Guards promoted from Independent A to Independent Open

10 guards were promoted

6 attended 2009 championships

5 made finals

Guards promoted from Independent Open to Independent World

2 made finals

15 guard were promoted

3 made semi-finals

2 made finals

16 were actually promoted [there was a tie for 15th in SA semis last year between Kell and Clayton]

5 made semi-finals [Pope, Crestview, Wakefield Maroon, Clayton, and Hinsdale Central]

2 made finals [Pope and Crestview]

Sorry to be picky, I just wanted to eliminate potential confusion before the arguments got heated up :)

16 were actually promoted [there was a tie for 15th in SA semis last year between Kell and Clayton]

5 made semi-finals [Pope, Crestview, Wakefield Maroon, Clayton, and Hinsdale Central]

2 made finals [Pope and Crestview]

Sorry to be picky, I just wanted to eliminate potential confusion before the arguments got heated up :)

Will the 15 SA finalist at WGI Dayton be promoted to Open?

I mentioned this in another thread, but it's worth mentioning again in this one.

Freedom High School from Orlando, the Silver Medalist in SO last year, was promoted and made Finals in SW.

At the beginning of the season, I really thought that they might have been in a little bit over their head. I thought that maybe this was another example of a group being promoted before their time had arrived.

By the end of the season, however, Freedom was right there in the thick of things for a spot in SW Finals. And they earned one - and rightfully so.

But you know what...??? Making finals didn't just "happen." It took a LOT OF HARD WORK. Specifically, it took a lot of SCHOLASTIC WORLD LEVEL hard work.

Just be clear, I'm not implying that other groups that were promoted didn't work hard. I know that's not the case. Every group puts in a tremendous amount of work.

But in the case of Freedom, they could have easily looked at their scores form February and decided that maybe they didn't have what it took to be in SW this year and that maybe they didn't have what it took to qualify for finals.

But you know what, they DIDN'T do that. They didn't get discouraged. They didn't let numbers and placement shut them down.

Instead, they just kept on cranking it out right up to the end and THEY MADE IT HAPPEN.

I just want to make sure that the accomplishments of this talented program doesn't go unnoticed in the whole "promotion" debate.

Congratulations, Freedom High School, on a job VERY well done. We'll be looking for you next year...!!!

:)

I mentioned this in another thread, but it's worth mentioning again in this one.

Freedom High School from Orlando, the Silver Medalist in SO last year, was promoted and made Finals in SW.

At the beginning of the season, I really thought that they might have been in a little bit over their head. I thought that maybe this was another example of a group being promoted before their time had arrived.

By the end of the season, however, Freedom was right there in the thick of things for a spot in SW Finals. And they earned one - and rightfully so.

But you know what...??? Making finals didn't just "happen." It took a LOT OF HARD WORK. Specifically, it took a lot of SCHOLASTIC WORLD LEVEL hard work.

Just be clear, I'm not implying that other groups that were promoted didn't work hard. I know that's not the case. Every group puts in a tremendous amount of work.

But in the case of Freedom, they could have easily looked at their scores form February and decided that maybe they didn't have what it took to be in SW this year and that maybe they didn't have what it took to qualify for finals.

But you know what, they DIDN'T do that. They didn't get discouraged. They didn't let numbers and placement shut them down.

Instead, they just kept on cranking it out right up to the end and THEY MADE IT HAPPEN.

I just want to make sure that the accomplishments of this talented program doesn't go unnoticed in the whole "promotion" debate.

Congratulations, Freedom High School, on a job VERY well done. We'll be looking for you next year...!!!

:)

Cudos to them BUT just goes to show you how weak SW was

I was curious about how well the new promotion process worked from 2008 - 2009. Here are some status. Based on this it appears that independent groups handle this transition much easier than scholastic units. What are peoples thoughts on the current promotion system and what changes would you make going forward.

15 guard were promoted

3 made semi-finals

2 made finals

Guards promoted from Scholastic Open to Scholastic World

1 made finals

Guards promoted from Independent A to Independent Open

10 guards were promoted

6 attended 2009 championships

5 made finals

Guards promoted from Independent Open to Independent World

2 made finals

I've witnessed many Scholastic A and Open guards do well one year, make finals and are promoted, but the feeder programs or the graduatoion of the core group of kids make the next year a bad experience and they either end up folding or moving back down.

I truly feel some scholastic programs should be allowed to stay in the class where they are able to function consistently from one year to the next. If they are top three in WGI that is one thing...but the 15th place team at finals is purely the luck of the draw and there are many guards that could have been there and end up staying in the class while the 15th place moves up...

There are some teams that just cannot sustain a certain level of training and excellence that is needed in a higher class...for a variety of reasons. Weak feeder program, small school size...to name a few.

I understand the thought behind promotions...but I wonder how many programs have been hurt by negatively effected by a promotion?