2008 Promotions - Some Stats

There are some teams that just cannot sustain a certain level of training and excellence that is needed in a higher class...for a variety of reasons. Weak feeder program, small school size...to name a few.

I understand the thought behind promotions...but I wonder how many programs have been hurt by negatively effected by a promotion?

See, I wonder about this, because I also see guards who have tremendous turnover in membership do very well from year to year (I'm thinking primarily of Flanagan and James Logan). I always feel that it's the staff more so than the members themselves who bring out the talent in the kids. The kids just need to WANT IT and work for it based on what staff is saying and teaching them. Especially in A class.

As for small group size...I believe something like 10 of the top 15 guards in IA had fewer than 12 members?

See, I wonder about this, because I also see guards who have tremendous turnover in membership do very well from year to year (I'm thinking primarily of Flanagan and James Logan). I always feel that it's the staff more so than the members themselves who bring out the talent in the kids. The kids just need to WANT IT and work for it based on what staff is saying and teaching them. Especially in A class.

As for small group size...I believe something like 10 of the top 15 guards in IA had fewer than 12 members?

Flanagan, Avon, Logan, and most of the other top SW guards have feeder programs. They may have large turn-over in their world guard, but they're not taking 20 kids that have never picked up a flag before and putting them in a World Class show. No matter how good the staff is, only the most talented kids can perform at that level within a few months.

These programs also have the best staffs in the activity, and that doesn't come cheap!

Well lets see....Spectrum will probably get promoted...oh wait they already did! :thumbup:

Yea staff is very important but the difference is Logan, Flanagan and Avon (top 3 of SW) are well established guards and have feeder programs, so it's not like they are struggling to find members with expereince to fill in the gaps everyear. Also Flanagan and Logan are both large high schools...Flanagan has over 3,000 students (used to be the largest h.s in Flordia) and Logan has over 4,000 students (largest h.s in Northern California)...so they have a large group to pull from so I can assume that also helps them remain competitive every year. Also don't forget that Logan has a large SO guard as well, so even though they might have a large turnover every year in SW all they have to do is promote some of their guard members from SO and problem solved :thumbup:

Edited by kcee

Also don't forget that Logan has a large SO guard as well, so even though they might have a large turnover every year in SW all they have to do is promote some of their guard members from SO and problem solved :thumbup:

So, it shouldn't be difficult for a guard to be promoted from SO to SW then, assuming the staff is basically the same?

So, it shouldn't be difficult for a guard to be promoted from SO to SW then, assuming the staff is basically the same?

There is a HUGE difference between SO and SW. It is rare to see a group be very successful (I mean in the top half of finals) in their first year in World Class. The move from SA to SO is more managable. It's pretty routine for guards to medal in SA and then medal in SO the very next year. I don't believe that has ever happened in World Class.

Anybody know the highest placement of a Scholastic World guard thier first year in World Class? Kennesaw Mountain was 7th in 2006. Has anyone ever been higher?

There is a HUGE difference between SO and SW. It is rare to see a group be very successful (I mean in the top half of finals) in their first year in World Class. The move from SA to SO is more managable. It's pretty routine for guards to medal in SA and then medal in SO the very next year. I don't believe that has ever happened in World Class.

Anybody know the highest placement of a Scholastic World guard thier first year in World Class? Kennesaw Mountain was 7th in 2006. Has anyone ever been higher?

I don't know of any units that medalled in their first year in Scholastic World, but Avon won SO in 2001 was was 4th in SW in 2002. Their silver medal streak began the following year. :tongue:

Edited by colorguardboy86

It's not routine to medal in SA then the next year in SO. I could be wrong, but I can only think of two and that was Kennesaw Mountain in '04 and Pope this year. Other than those two...no other guard has medaled in SA and then SO inthe last 5 or so years.....I wouldn't call that routine.

I'm not saying they are promoting their ENTIRE SO guard to SW....only members who show that they are ready to perform at the SW level to fill in the spots left by graduating seniors.