flag poles and flags

aina

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been trying to get that answer as well. It seems to be 6-6 1/2 foot poles are the main ones.

Hi Aina!

That's an interesting question!

For pole length, Seems as though 6' gets the nod around the guard circuits these days, although I personally prefer 5.5' for my guards. 5.5' is flattering to most color guard members' heights. I suggest you try one of each, spin 'em and see what you think. Believe it or not, the extra 6" between 5.5 and 6 is pretty big. Don't forget all the extra material that'll be on the pole with a 6' flag.

That said, I believe (and I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong b**bs ...funny how that works!) that for a 5.5' pole, the material should be 3' tall and 4' wide, finished. On a 6' pole, it should be 4' x 5'...

Hope that helps!

it is always a 1 inch diameter. at least i've never used a full length pole that was anything but. weight, that's usually is up to the guard instructor.

is there any certain diameter or weight of the pole i should use if going with a 5.5 ft pole?

Like LegalEagla said, one inch aluminum is what you want. Some guards in the past were trying to get out cheap by using PVC (plastic poles).....but not me! I prefer to weight my poles, (oh and I like using 6 foot) with carriage bolts that can be purchased at your local hardware store. They come in different links....some guards use 3 inch at the top and 2 inch at the bottom. You may want to experiment to see what size works best with your guard. Just make sure when you put them in the ends, you cover them with a pole cap ( I prefer the rubber ones also purchased at your local hardware store) and most importantly, you must tape your pole caps on.....or else they will be flying in the air like missiles! My guards also use 7 foot poles as well. For those, you need a four inch bolt at the top and a 3 inch at the bottom. The carriage bolts will help with the rotation of the tosses.

Okay, now *I* have a question!

I've never done the bolt thing (putting a bolt in the top and bottom of the pole)...

1. How do you keep them from making a sound

2. Don't they shift around?

I find that using rubber crutch tips on the ends seem to add weight without sound.

I have marched 5.5, 6, and 6.5-foot poles, and I find there to be a noticeable difference. 6-foot poles are generally more challenging than 5.5-foot poles (in that they are simply larger and heavier), but they allow for a larger, more visible silk (and thus more visual effect). The larger pole also allows you to do more "body work" such as rolling the flag over your shoulder or around you neck because the points on the pole are proportionally larger at which you can do pole/body work. My high school made the "mistake" one season (the only one I've marched with a 5.5', and only for a small portion of a marching band show) of putting silks from a 6-foot pole on to a 5.5', and only then did it become challenging because the weight was extremely awkward. 6-foot poles tend to be the requisite for winterguard, drum corps, and upper-tier marching bands.

As far as silks are concerned, for a 6' pole, the length usually comes down half-way (often a little more) from the top, or 36"-40". The width varies more, and often ranges from 36" to 54".

Pole width is almost always 1" in diameter.

Bolts are often used for weighting. Usually one wants the flag to be a little top-heavy, so 3.5" in the top and 3" in the bottom for bolt lengths are normal (both 1" in diameter at the top of the bolt). The bolts are usually crammed tight into the crutch tips at the ends of the pole (sometimes the crutch tips have to be run under hot water as to loosen them enough for the bolts to fit), so they don't move much. Just as a precaution, it's a good idea to wrap the length of the bolts in electric tape so even if they do come loose they won't make as much noise.

Regardless, how flags are assembled ranges from guard to guard, but those are just what I've used and observed.

Edited by vaguardguy

Christopher:

Thanks for that! The bolt thing is fairly new...wonder who came up with THAT idea?

I like a 5.5 footer because I think it's easier to work with. Plus, less to "sling around"...this remark from someone who used 7 footers in high school.

Christopher:

Thanks for that! The bolt thing is fairly new...wonder who came up with THAT idea?

I like a 5.5 footer because I think it's easier to work with. Plus, less to "sling around"...this remark from someone who used 7 footers in high school.

Sue I'm not sure who used the "bolt" thing first. I first noticed it being used in the late 80s early 90s when I watched Cadets guard practice at a local high school. I know to this day that both Cadets & Crossmen use carriage bolts in their poles. Like vaguard guy said, the best way to keep them from "clanging" inside the pole is to wrap them with electrical tape. Most all of the carriage bolts I've seen will sit nicely inside the pole. If you use rubber crutch tips, it is easier to put on Vs the plastic ones. The plastic tips are cheaper, but they tend to split with a bolt inside. I've found that the rubber ones last longer.....true, it may add a little more weight to the pole, but you can compensate it by using different size botls. As I said earlier, experiment with them first.