The OFFICIAL 2009 Phantom Regiment Thread

I wish more corps/fans would do iMix's would make getting their repertoire from iTunes easier. I know we would have done ours if our music was available on iTunes

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2009 Production -

* The Red Violin from the film The Red Violin, by John Corigliano

* Fantasy Variations on a Theme by Paganini, by James Barnes

* Paganini Variations, by Witold Lutoslawski

* Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, by Sergei Rachmaninoff

* Caprice XXIV Paganini, by Benny Goodman

* Paganini Variations, by Philip Wilby

So, in other words, heavy on the '95 reprise repertoire...why didn't I see that coming? Oh, well...good book, fun theme, and I'm sure their story will be good as well.

Then again, I'm always calling for a theme and variations show...this certainly answers, doesn't it? Barnes, Lutoslawski, Rach, Benny Goodman (!), Wilby...all with their renditions of the Paganini Theme & Variation. VERY appropriate for a violin show!

One last thought...it's interesting how much crap Hop has to take over instrument changes, G to Bb, electronics, and everything else...yet Phantom Regiment does a violin show and NOBODY has any snappy comments. I mean, no making fun of, no blasting, no snide comments...I think this is the first time I've seen anyone comment on the irony.

Of course, they're not PLAYING violins...I understand the difference. BTW, we had a "Marching Orchestra" in high school for a couple of parades...upper strings walked alongside a trailer with the cellos and basses...unique concept. Thought I'd toss that out for consumption!

I would not go into the season expecting a reprise of anything from the '95 season. Yes, the Rachmaninoff piece is in the retetoire but I wouldn't expect to hear anything sounding like the '95 version if I was you.

If you want to hear the music, the corps will be rehearsing in the Rockford area for the next 4 1/2 weeks. Come on out and hear it for yourself.

Edited by pr82292

Not sure if anyone else has posted this (I did not see any recent posts yet about it) but Phantom Regiments website had a small announcement about their new uniforms and partnering with Fred J. Miller Inc. Clicking it is just a rehashed article about them going with the company and Cesario designing the uniforms and so forth. I was wondering why they would post this without a photo of the new uniforms unless they just wanted website filler until they could report more about move-ins or had more news, so I decided to visit the FJM website (http://www.fjminc.com/) to see if there was anything on it there. What I found was the main image up now announcing an unveiling is coming soon!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has a silhouette of what I am assuming is going to be the new uniforms and just says, "The Unveiling is Coming Soon! Welcome Home". So if you are as anxious (and nervous) as to what we will see on the field next year for Phantom Regiment you may want to keep an eye out on either website!

Edited for grammar and spelling issues I have at 2:30 AM apparently.

Edited by Wulfegang

BTW, we had a "Marching Orchestra" in high school for a couple of parades...upper strings walked alongside a trailer with the cellos and basses...unique concept. Thought I'd toss that out for consumption!

See Woody Allen's "Take the Money and Run" for Woody playing cello in a marching band during a parade! :smile:

Spent this entire past weekend at Phantom's camp.

I am vowed to secrecy when it comes to the new uniforms......but they are awesome.

I took no pictures and will not describe color, cut nor fit.

The music is refreshing, somewhat out of character for PR.....you will be brought to tears in one certain section.

The current soloist is going to blow you away.

As with any corp today, money is tight.

I'm confident the holes in the horn lines will be filled soon....maybe they already have!

Come to the Rockford Memorial Day parade to see the new uniforms.

Been busy comparing the music I listened to this weekend with the Red Violin soundtrack.......interesting!

I've only been a drum corp volunteer (for years and years) - never marched, so I cant help you with descriptions of horn types, music scores, etc. But, it will be worth the wait.

.....all for now!

GO PHANTOM REGIMENT!!!!!!

they aren't doing a memorial day parade this year according to their calendar

that's weird that it's not on the calendar. they usually march in the parade every year. i knew i had heard somewhere that they would be in it. so who knows?!? i hope they just accidentally left it out of the calendar.