World Guards Folding?

GuarDiva09

I'm really hoping that Zydeco is just a rumor - to me - they were the most amazing guard this year at WGI - simply phenomenal!

Later,

Mike

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure it has to be SUPER expensive to put a guard on the floor and in this economy it has to be even worse. When I marched Final Analysis in 1986, I remember the dues being around $500. We had high school students and college students from LSU, Ole Miss, USM, Delta State and a few other schools. We were starving college students and some of us couldn't afford to pay those dues. Tommy Keenum and Keith Hall put a lot of that on their credit cards. He even said in an article that they paid for it for years.

These days with the digitally printed floors costing many thousands of dollars, uniforms, travel and a staff the size of a small army, it has to be #### near $100,000 to put out a world class guard. Who can afford that these days?

We need to get back to simpler times.

With the rate that guards are folding or going inactive for a year (or so) sooner or later Lake Erie Regiment (IW) will find themselves in 15th place if they can hang in there long enough

I agree that the cost of putting out a world class guard has become a bit out of control. I think a lot of that is self induced. What happened to the days of guards sewing their own costumes and silks? What happened to staffs that were local and volunteered their time out of a love of the activity? What happened to guards car pooling to shows and sleeping on the floor, or at someones house?

In this era of high priced costumes and silks that come from a catalog, staffs that fly in from all over the country, flights to shows and staying in hotels it is no wonder that people can't afford to keep a guard afloat.

from another post of mine.........

now i remember when dinasaurs ruled the earth ........... but does anyone else think that winter guard has become a rich man's game? .....for god's sake polo ponies are cheaper!

it seems only those who can afford ever rising production costs[proffesional soundtrack design,digital printed floors,couture costumes,hair & make-up,flags,sets,big fees for designers and a myriad of tech staff as well as frequent airline travel,food,housing] are at the top of their class and it's evident that those guards with deep financial resources have a far better chance remaining competitive in todays budget busting arena.

perhaps after scv's recent win and crown guards return maybe more drum corps will attempt to sponsor winter guard programs although they too have their own budgetary worrys at this time.

With the rate that guards are folding or going inactive for a year (or so) sooner or later Lake Erie Regiment (IW) will find themselves in 15th place if they can hang in there long enough

Thank you for the words of encouragement. They're greatly appreciated... :worthy:

USF is not folding, if anything they will come out with a new name due the lack of funding for the university itself. Michael Shapiro has been with Tarpon since last year and I'm pretty sure he's already moved here. And I've heard from members that sadly Knights will not be out next year.

USF is still up in the air, actually. Hopefully they'll be back out.

I am sure it has to be SUPER expensive to put a guard on the floor and in this economy it has to be even worse. When I marched Final Analysis in 1986, I remember the dues being around $500. We had high school students and college students from LSU, Ole Miss, USM, Delta State and a few other schools. We were starving college students and some of us couldn't afford to pay those dues. Tommy Keenum and Keith Hall put a lot of that on their credit cards. He even said in an article that they paid for it for years.

These days with the digitally printed floors costing many thousands of dollars, uniforms, travel and a staff the size of a small army, it has to be #### near $100,000 to put out a world class guard. Who can afford that these days?

We need to get back to simpler times.

I got quotes yesterday from transportation companies: A 55 passenger bus to Dayton Ohio from Austin Texas is approximately $14,000. That was just an estimate based on current gas prices, if the price of gas increases again, it will be much more. If we had 55 people on the bus, that's an expense of $255 per person just for transportation, then add on the cost of hotel, which at the low end would be another $100 per person for the time in Dayton. That's $350, plus renting a rehearsal facility, food, miscellaneous expenses. And that's JUST DAYTON!

There's got to be an easier, less expensive way!

Why have hotels become a requirement? Do schools no longer allow guards to house in them. We always stayed at Miamisburg HS during WGI weekend on the band room floor.

Why have charter buses become a requirement? If your guard is small enough rent a large van or two and get everyone to Dayton.

I think members have come to expect a fancy bus, a hotel room, designer costumes and flags etc.

I can remember going to the local fabric store and determining what color scheme we were wearing / spinning based on the fabric on the clearance table...and this was a world class finalist guard.

Everybody needs to take a deep breath... World guards and Open guards (back in the day) Have been folding due to finances since colorguard started. It is truley sad when it happens but it also allows for room at the top. I for one can name about a dozen or more that sited money as at least part of the reason they decided to fold or take a season off. Please keep in mind a World class program is completely life consuming especially during the months of Dec-April and the staff gets burnt out and needs a break. I do agree that cost are getting out of control, but some are fixed, buses hotel rooms, and the worst is practice facilities. Ask any World class directer how stressful practice site budgets are. Floors and flags barely scratch the surface of the budget in relation to practice sites.

With that being said, I miss so many colorguards that have gone away. I try to do my part sponsor a kid for part of their dues. Donate to my local programs when I can. We all just need to help support our favorites and help ease the burden they feel. World Class dues can not be $500.00 dollars anymore like when some of us marched, just like all the other prices that have more than doubled since 20 years ago.