Blue Devils 2009 Show Announcement

Tusayan's "you obviously have never heard 86 BD" thing didn't "prove" anything, either.

I'll add Channel One to my list of pieces that have always been chopped to pieces for the DCI field. The list of pieces that don't fall under that category are few and far between, and almost always in ballads. Obviously some people disagree, and that's kind of where discussion comes from.

I predict that a lot of people will like BD's arrangment this year, and a lot won't. Some will try to justify it with canned criticism rather than just saying they don't like it and letting it go at that. Others won't.

I stand by what I said and would argue BD's 86 arrangement of Channel 1 was about as far from chop and bop as you can get without totally recreating the original piece.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tusayan's "you obviously have never heard 86 BD" thing didn't "prove" anything, either.

I'll add Channel One to my list of pieces that have always been chopped to pieces for the DCI field. The list of pieces that don't fall under that category are few and far between, and almost always in ballads. Obviously some people disagree, and that's kind of where discussion comes from.

I predict that a lot of people will like BD's arrangment this year, and a lot won't. Some will try to justify it with canned criticism rather than just saying they don't like it and letting it go at that. Others won't.

Here's an exercise for you, then....arrange Strawberry Soup for corps without resorting to chopping...

Lotsa luck....the thing's over 18 minutes long...sometimes you have no choice...or the source material, while appropriate for a concert hall or intimate jazz club, works better ona football field with some work....our genre IS a bit different.

The only tunes that get a pass are ones like 85 Suncoast....written specifically FOR the field.

If this show is anything like 2005 I'll be happy!

If this show is anything like 1988, I'll be elated!

As long as BD plays complete songs ( or close ) and marches lots of dots, I'll be cheering my butt off.

Just no more WGI shows.

Here's an exercise for you, then....arrange Strawberry Soup for corps without resorting to chopping...

Lotsa luck....the thing's over 18 minutes long...sometimes you have no choice...or the source material, while appropriate for a concert hall or intimate jazz club, works better ona football field with some work....our genre IS a bit different.

The only tunes that get a pass are ones like 85 Suncoast....written specifically FOR the field.

I think that's Lance's point, really. The drum corps show that didn't have to chop up a piece used in their repertoire is rare, indeed. Even if you feel the most salient portions of that piece were pulled for use in a drum corps production, the fact remains that a good bit of splicing occurred to make that happen. The 1986 Blue Devils spent half their show planning Channel One Suite, sure, but they also only played half of Channel One Suite. So the question isn't so much whether they had to chop up the chart to make it work in their show; the question becomes simply whether you like the product after they chopped it up. Most did, as I think the 1986 show is pretty well liked (I know it's one of my favorites, especially for the 80's), but public approval alone isn't sufficient to say that a piece wasn't chopped.

I think Crown 2008 is a perfect example here. If ever there was a show that could be called cut 'n paste, Finis was it. Some of the pieces they used were present for just one phrase, and then the corps was on to something else. Yet people love the show. If I had to guess a reason why, I'd say that it's because in every case the one phrased used was easily recognized; that is, people knew the music and it was familiar. Even though they only had seconds to grab hold of it, the music was recognizable enough that a few second was all that was needed. However, this doesn't mean that the show wasn't chopped up. Personal preference plays quite a large role in this particular criticism, I think.

If this show is anything like 2005 I'll be happy!
Just no more WGI shows.

These comments don't seem to jive. I liked 2005, even if it wasn't quite a classic, but it was clearly a WGI-inspired show.

i agree...less WGI would be good. lets keep indoor indoor, and outdoor outdoor

Oh, this is going to be one of the best BD shows ever. The corps was made for this theme.

Now THAT's a bold statement. I'm not saying I disagree, but to my recollection you rarely make such a dramatic statement about the possibility of a show so early, so it just strikes me that you went there so quickly...

K, I know there was this whole BD vs. PR thing last year, especially regarding retreat. But I wasn't in on any of that, and just to further show my objective-leaning approach to drum corps these days, let me just state for the record...

...BD 2009 sounds like it's gonna ROCK!!

A little Copland...a little Gershwin. "Happy Days are Here Again" and Judy Garland (mic's, anyone??).

Contrast, faith, crash, etc. Some fun themes coming out of Concord early!

BLOW MY FACE OFF, corps! (and keep it nice off the field)