Hardest show music

I started this topic to ask all what they think the hardest show (musically) of all time was

I wanna make it into two groups percussion and brass

If you want you can add in the marching diffuculty of the show as well

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cavaliers seem to have a smart way with there drill..

If they are playing, they arent moving fast.

If they arent playing, they are moving....far,fast

(Playing meaning more of the melody, or what is heard, not every little note)

I would venture to say that what necessarily constitutes a very difficult show is a very subjective argument; that is, unless you can compare the musical scores of the various shows against one another. From the standpoint of an audience member, a well-trained ear can detect difficult technical passages, as opposed to half notes and whole notes. However, taken into account whether or not the members are running their butt's off while trying to inflect half notes in the upper register...you see my point, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

I'm a horn guy, so I wouldn't dream of commenting on any drum parts, one way or the other. As for marching, again, that's a very subjective argument; is it "harder" to run you butt off for 11 minutes and play half notes, or stay still and play very technically-challenging runs? Since I've only seen the musical scores and drill sheets for two different corps (spread over 5 years), I only feel qualified to comment on their respective levels of difficulty.

During the years in which I marched, the most challenging - notice I didn't use the word hardest - horn books that I encountered were 1993 and 1995. As I'm sure you all know, both books had some challenging technical parts which were played both at halts and while moving. However, if the performance of these shows appeared to be difficult to to the uninitiated, then we obviously weren't performing it very well. And, as Dave Carico used to say, no matter how cool it's supposed to be, if it doesn't sound good, who cares.

Just my two cents.