Hardest show music

Some Madison shows could be put on the list I would think.

Academy seems to push the envelope and is pretty successful with the exception of last year possibly. In 2007, That was one crazy opener and closer! That show was full of black notes. *I dont know if Id say they were the hardest but for a young corps I thought Id mention them for trying new things. *

Cadets 07, SCV 99, Star 91, 93, Crown 08.

:smile:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as brass music goes, I think you need to dig into the past.. maybe early-mid 90's to find the hardest book of all time. The stuff these days is just NOT hard to play! It is harder for different reasons (mostly physical), but just playing them...not so much. Hearing anything faster than an eighth note is not a common occurrence anymore.

Drum books are the exact opposite. They've increased in difficulty over time and you'd probably find the most difficult book of all time in the past couple years.

For the time I thought 83 cadets book was pretty hard.

Argonne Rebels circa 1972-73

How bout' an Araban's cornet exercise on the field? Try Madison Scouts 97...Cool, Now try taking that up the octave, maintain good fundamental sound (all overtones present) in upper tessitura and articulate lightly and nimbly like. Now try interlacing that with a spritely calypso groove... That's hard when i listen to that.

Edited by angelbugler

2001 Cadets was insane. Especially the mello runs at the start that just never seem to end.

I'm also going to put a vote in for '90-'93 Star. Wow is the only word I can use to describe those horn books.