"B flat" instruments

Bruce Linderman

Hello anyone,

What is the typical instrumentation of a typical "B flat" horn line, and what are the individual keys of the instruments?

Obviously, the trumpets are B flat. What are the "Mellophones", baritones and tubas keyed?

Are the baritone/euphonium or tuba parts in bass clef?

I was a "B flat" agnostic until I stood directly in front of Cadets 70 horns warming up last summer. I walked directly over to Scott Koter and told him I was 16 years old. For some reason, he didn't believe me. (Maybe because I was 60??)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bb Trumpets, F mellos, Bb Baris, Euphs, and Contras. Low brass is generally read in bass clef, although some corps offer treble clef parts as an option. So, basically it is all Bb but the mellos.

Bb Trumpets, F mellos, Bb Baris, Euphs, and Contras. Low brass is generally read in bass clef, although some corps offer treble clef parts as an option. So, basically it is all Bb but the mellos.

...I'll add if the low brass is in bass clef, they are reading in C. Makes the band to corps transition real easy.

Then there are no French Horns in use? Because concert Horn In F is traditional unless it's a double with an Eb rotary.

What would be the purpose of a Mello in "F" and who makes them - Amati used to when I was a kid. Who else?

Puppet

Then there are no French Horns in use? Because concert Horn In F is traditional unless it's a double with an Eb rotary.

What would be the purpose of a Mello in "F" and who makes them - Amati used to when I was a kid. Who else?

Puppet

Mellos in F are very popular - virtually all Bb corps lines use them. Made by King, Kanstul, Yamaha, Dynasty and a host of others. Bell-front frenchies are available in F from multiple manufacturers and in Bb from a few, like Kanstul. They are used by marching bands, but rarely find use in drum corps. BTW, aren't double horns usually in F with a trigger for Bb?

I dunno if this is the actual reason, but it seems to me that the range the mello parts are in fits the range of an F instrument real well, and would be wierd for Bb on either side.

Mellos in F are very popular - virtually all Bb corps lines use them. Made by King, Kanstul, Yamaha, Dynasty and a host of others. Bell-front frenchies are available in F from multiple manufacturers and in Bb from a few, like Kanstul. They are used by marching bands, but rarely find use in drum corps. BTW, aren't double horns usually in F with a trigger for Bb?

Yes. But I have been playing a truly beautiful Engelbert Schmid Horn model with high Eb:

It's actually a F/Bb/Eb-alto Full Triple Horn. It's lighter than a normal double horn with stopping valve. I think it most closely fulfills the sound concept of the double horn player. You get a really full forte sound and it gives me more security up into the highest range. The full low F horn is good enough even for low horn players. 3 or 4.

I dunno if this is the actual reason, but it seems to me that the range the mello parts are in fits the range of an F instrument real well, and would be weird for Bb on either side.

I actually thought as much. Just seemed a little wacky because the Olds Mello we played BITD was produced as a "G" instrument like all the horns in our line.

Thanks for answering, just thought that the fingering and charts would be different for the "F" than the other horns in the line. I'm thinking about joining my Alumni corps and wondered what I would be getting into.

Puppet

I actually thought as much. Just seemed a little wacky because the Olds Mello we played BITD was produced as a "G" instrument like all the horns in our line.

Thanks for answering, just thought that the fingering and charts would be different for the "F" than the other horns in the line. I'm thinking about joining my Alumni corps and wondered what I would be getting into.

Puppet

Fingerings are the same. You are just playing in 'F' as opposed to 'G'.