Last minute openings

I have been reading here and on some other sites about sudden openings appearing, both PR and Cadets needing to replace horn players, suggestions that Pioneer had less than 75 at camp etc. Is this a problem with everyone? Is it because of the economy or has the cost of doing business made it impossible for corps to retain members or is this just normal attrician. I don't remember seeing it with groups like Phantom and Cadets before.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a common problem that happens to most groups each year. I can remember when I was marching, top 6 corps, and this would happen almost every season. Whether it be money, an injury, school, family etc.

I think it looks more "common" now because the news that a corps is in need of a someone to fill a spot is more readily available due to sites like this one, facebook, the corps website, etc.

Just my thoughts.

I think this is a common problem that happens to most groups each year. I can remember when I was marching, top 6 corps, and this would happen almost every season. Whether it be money, an injury, school, family etc.

I think it looks more "common" now because the news that a corps is in need of a someone to fill a spot is more readily available due to sites like this one, facebook, the corps website, etc.

Just my thoughts.

I agree with this post. Also, there are holes that never get announced because someone "knows someone" and the corps gives them a call.

The reason why this has become a problem, is multi faceted.

1. With the increase of members in each corps, fewer are auditioning at more local groups and moving on to "better" situations (Top 6 corps). Some corps are facing this problem, some aren't. Some have figured it out, some may be unrealistic.

2. Gasoline prices are not what they were last year and that can be a reason for the increase in some corps membership dues. If dues are a bit higher than in the past, that could detract from getting members interested in marching. "How much is this going to cost me."

3. The talent pool that is being chosen may have the desire to march but not the funding, so some corps are stuck with a dilema, march someone who can't pay but would be an asset, or march someone who can pay the dues but may not have the desire as the initial candidate.

4. The economy is always an issue to consider. If you can't pay for it, you can't do it. Jobs are harder to come by and most potential members now do not do the fundraising they use to do in order to pay for their summer activity. Most corps cost anywhere between 2,150.00 - 3,000.00 for a summer tour (fees, dues, boot camp, etc.). This is not including trips to Europe that some corps will do for a portion of the summer. The once "semi-affordable" venue for members to march is now becoming so expensive that they are being turned off by it.

5. Some members have an idea on what they are getting themselves into for the summer. Most corps do not go "Full bore" during the winter camp months, so the potential membership may not a real idea on what to expect when the summer approaches. As the summer gets closer, some staffs will turn up the heat and this turns some kids off. It isn't as easy as they once thought it was.

6. Things that come up. Death in the family, family member looses a job and the member now has to work in order to help support the family. This happens.

My two cents

I think that although corps members may be encountering financial issues, it is much more likely that openings are just more advertised than in the past.

You may be right. After looking through some old info it looks like the Pioneer situation is common over a fewe years and the electronic method may just be the most efficient means now to get the information out to the greatest amount of people quickly.

The reason why this has become a problem, is multi faceted.

1. With the increase of members in each corps, fewer are auditioning at more local groups and moving on to "better" situations (Top 6 corps). Some corps are facing this problem, some aren't. Some have figured it out, some may be unrealistic.

2. Gasoline prices are not what they were last year and that can be a reason for the increase in some corps membership dues. If dues are a bit higher than in the past, that could detract from getting members interested in marching. "How much is this going to cost me."

3. The talent pool that is being chosen may have the desire to march but not the funding, so some corps are stuck with a dilema, march someone who can't pay but would be an asset, or march someone who can pay the dues but may not have the desire as the initial candidate.

4. The economy is always an issue to consider. If you can't pay for it, you can't do it. Jobs are harder to come by and most potential members now do not do the fundraising they use to do in order to pay for their summer activity. Most corps cost anywhere between 2,150.00 - 3,000.00 for a summer tour (fees, dues, boot camp, etc.). This is not including trips to Europe that some corps will do for a portion of the summer. The once "semi-affordable" venue for members to march is now becoming so expensive that they are being turned off by it.

5. Some members have an idea on what they are getting themselves into for the summer. Most corps do not go "Full bore" during the winter camp months, so the potential membership may not a real idea on what to expect when the summer approaches. As the summer gets closer, some staffs will turn up the heat and this turns some kids off. It isn't as easy as they once thought it was.

6. Things that come up. Death in the family, family member looses a job and the member now has to work in order to help support the family. This happens.

My two cents

Just a couple of points for clarification.

First, it's been quite a few years since a corps has done the Europe thing. Cavies considered it and backed away and now it appears it will most likely be a thing of the past as logistically, it's just a nightmare.

Next...$2000 to $3000 is a bargain compared to what families fork out for a club sport, volleyball or other "ball" camps lasting only a week.

I believe the time involved in committing to drum corps is the most seldom mentioned and most likely the largest single underlying factor in why members don't march after obtaining a spot. In short...they vastly misjudge the time committment being asked.

If you crunched out even your top figure of $3000 and divide it by the hours of group and individual instruction between November and August and it comes out to about 1325 hours of instruction plus transportation and meals. Not a bad deal to me.

And just wait until everyone's "Spring Training" coming up in a few weeks. There will be serious attrition either through injury or "WTF did I get myself into?"

It will happen to EVERY SINGLE CORPS OUT THERE, BAR NONE.

In my experience, every alternate ever taken has made it into the show for finals, except one, and he said "no, thanks" when he had his chance. Alternates are a vital piece to any organization's success.