Longest marching member

I marched 8 years with St. Joseph Patron Cadets then St. Rita's Brassmen which were ostensibly the same organizations. I'm sure there were a few members who were there before I was and were still there after I aged out. Most notably has to be DCHOF Euphonium (and anything else he wanted to pick up!) Ruben Ariola. I know he was in SJP for at least 2 years before I started in '65 and played in the corps' last year in '73. That's 11 years, right there.....

I'll bet average for the corps was between 6 and 9 years. Possibly why (even though our time was so short compared to others) we got better year after year. We had a solid cadre of returning members.

Puppet

So I'm assuming the rules were a lot different back then when it comes to age limits since I am hearing so much about people marching 12+ years?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been a few long timers at Cadets that I can remember:

Daryl - 88-95 (euphonium)

April Gilligan - 80-87 (guard)

Myself - 00-07 (baritone)

Ashley Pitman - 05-12 (guard)

Jana Anderson - 92-98 (mellophone)

Becca - 97-03 (guard)

And I'm sure there have been more, but those are the ones I can think of right now. There was someone in the Cinzio family that marched from 66-76, but thats all I know.

Becky Terry (no relation) marched in the Crossmen as a mello player and then drum major from 97-05.

So I'm assuming the rules were a lot different back then when it comes to age limits since I am hearing so much about people marching 12+ years?

You are right - in a sense.

The difference however is BITD for a "Class A" corps - what you call World Class today - members started their careers as early as 9 or 10.

juststarting.jpg

They began their first practices and rehearsals typically (most with no skills whatsoever!) in September and were many times on the field in their first show 8 months later in April.

These days most don't even start until they are at least in High School so they have a 6 or 7 year window at best - unless age out has been increased again from 22 to "Until they get their PHD." :grouphug:

Puppet

I remember hearing a story of a Blue Devils member that started with Blue Devils C at like 5 and marched every year going up through the Blue Devils system.

Might have been a rumor or an old wise tale.

I want to say Dann Petersen (current Scouts director) mached 3-4 years in Jr Scouts and 6 years in Scouts.

I remember hearing a story of a Blue Devils member that started with Blue Devils C at like 5 and marched every year going up through the Blue Devils system.

Might have been a rumor or an old wise tale.

Would that be Lee Doebler? I think she marched with all the champion BD units in the 70s and 80s except 86, by which time she had aged out. She's active in the Historical thread; perhaps she'll see this and come in.

LuAnn Cruz marched with the Knights every year from 1975 through 1987, when she aged out as Guard Captain. She and her family were the Knights as much as anyone.

LuAnn Cruz marched with the Knights every year from 1975 through 1987, when she aged out as Guard Captain. She and her family were the Knights as much as anyone.

LuAnn is the first one that came to my mind too. Yep, the whole Cruz family - always there, always smiling, as sweet as they come.

Would that be Lee Doebler? I think she marched with all the champion BD units in the 70s and 80s except 86, by which time she had aged out. She's active in the Historical thread; perhaps she'll see this and come in.

I was thinking a little more recent like age out in the mid 90s and started in the early 80s.