Weird Fan Shouts During Performances

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOT REALLY EVERYONE AROUND THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY IT NOT AS BAD AS FINALS WHEN LIKE HALF THE CROWD YELLED SOMETHING

Yeah, but I think Taylor's point is a good one. Crowd hype is what feeds drum corps. I love hyped up crowds that scream for the corps. But the DCI recordings of my three finals performances are littered with attention hogs screaming inside jokes during ballads to ensure they made it into drum corps infamy on the recordings. During ballads and solos people are screaming things like "RVL," "Wonder Bread," "Chucky," and dozens of other things I still don't understand. There is a line between appropriate and self serving. Something like "Gail was watching!" has meaning to the corps and is delivered for the corps. The "I'm still wet" scream for the 1986 BD sop solo was at least a tad distasteful, you must agree. There's nothing that can be done to stop people from screaming whatever they want but I wish people would put some thought into just how hard these kids work to spend the rest of their lives hearing others screaming inside jokes over their solos, musical pauses, and the most delicate parts of their show. Not trying to single anybody out, but I thought that needed to be said.

Could you EXPLAIN that one? I've never understood it...

The story I heard was that they had a #10 can without a label on it on the cook truck. There was speculation all summer as to what was inside. Before Championships, someone opened the mystical can to discover the contents, and They all found out about it with that shout out. Urban legend perhaps, but that was what I was told.

NOT REALLY EVERYONE AROUND THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY IT NOT AS BAD AS FINALS WHEN LIKE HALF THE CROWD YELLED SOMETHING

Personally I'd rather have people watch their mouths.

I don't think anyone would disagree with me when I say that "CRYSTAAAAAAAAL" ruined one of the best moments/shows in drum corps.

I know its been posted but....

"I AM SPARTACUS!" is probably the best yell I have ever heard. And that was encouraged.

I seem to recall Pat Seidling -- who was in the Mad tenors that year-- saying it was a staff member...perfect addition to the solo, however!

And how about the "YAHHH!" at the beginning of the horse race in 07 Crown? Effing perfect!

that was a snare drummer.

Edited by big old drummer man

1994 Cavaliers, right after the wind-down of "Sensemaya" you hear: "WICKED!"

1995 Crossmen, during the "Symphony for Brass and Percussion" finale when they bust out with 10 basses, during some gaps in the music you can hear a crying (presumably frightened) child. Not a shout, per se, but hilariously perfect for the setting.

They're not part of the show, much as they would like to be.

Its probably just a matter of time until something similar (but scripted) will be legalized as "part of the show"....

Edited by GuyW