A senseless loss of one of our own.

As an alum of SCV, I just received this in my facebook message box...I'm truly sadden by the loss, and mad because of the circumstances...

To his family, May You Never Walk Alone.

The following letter was sent to SCV today to notifiy of this sad news about a fellow alum.

It is with a deep sadness that we report that SoCal Dream has lost one of our 2008 battery members in a senseless gangland shooting.

Robert Rodwell, who marched snare with Dream, was shot last night just after returning home from a City Sound Drum & Bugle Corps Rehearsal. He was running an errand to the store for items to celebrate his daughter's birthday when a gang member dressed in black with hooded mask ran up to the car and asked him if he was a gang member. Robert repeatedly told him "NO I'm not a gang Member", the assailant didn't like his answer and shot him in the chest 2 times. Robert, who just recently celebrated his 29th birthday, passed away early this morning.

Robert was a former student of our director, Nate Lewis, marching in the City Sound Winter Drumline. He went on to play snare for the Santa Clara Vanguard and just last year joined SoCal Dream. He returned to City Sound this year as an instructor. Ironically, it was his dream to give young kids in his community alternatives to gang violence through music.

We only got to know Robert last year, but his huge smile, friendly personality, and love of music are the things I will always remember about him. Our prayers and thoughts are with his family and his extended drum corps family.

Rest in Peace my brother. We will hear your drumming in the heavens.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is horrid.

Rest in Peace Robert and my prayers go out to his family.

So many lives effected by a moment of thoughtless, random violence. Yes, words fail.

Marc,

Thank you for posting this in here. I posted early this morning in the DCA forum and forgot to post it here for his friends in SCV.

RIP my friend

4323_80582794422_560159422_1772503_4443538_n.jpg

(Robert closest to camera)

Edited by MiniSopGuy

As an alum of SCV, I just received this in my facebook message box...I'm truly sadden by the loss, and mad because of the circumstances...

To his family, May You Never Walk Alone.

The following letter was sent to SCV today to notifiy of this sad news about a fellow alum.

It is with a deep sadness that we report that SoCal Dream has lost one of our 2008 battery members in a senseless gangland shooting.

Robert Rodwell, who marched snare with Dream, was shot last night just after returning home from a City Sound Drum & Bugle Corps Rehearsal. He was running an errand to the store for items to celebrate his daughter's birthday when a gang member dressed in black with hooded mask ran up to the car and asked him if he was a gang member. Robert repeatedly told him "NO I'm not a gang Member", the assailant didn't like his answer and shot him in the chest 2 times. Robert, who just recently celebrated his 29th birthday, passed away early this morning.

Robert was a former student of our director, Nate Lewis, marching in the City Sound Winter Drumline. He went on to play snare for the Santa Clara Vanguard and just last year joined SoCal Dream. He returned to City Sound this year as an instructor. Ironically, it was his dream to give young kids in his community alternatives to gang violence through music.

We only got to know Robert last year, but his huge smile, friendly personality, and love of music are the things I will always remember about him. Our prayers and thoughts are with his family and his extended drum corps family.

Rest in Peace my brother. We will hear your drumming in the heavens.

RIP.

Praying for the family.

This stuff pisses me off so bad.

After watching that story on KABC, I am in tears right now. This is a tragedy, for Robert's family, for his friends, for the kids at the school, and for the drum corps community. For all of my friends in Dream and SCV, and for all of you that were touched to have known him, my heart goes out to you. And to his lovely little girl and wife, may God's arms hold you and give you the love and courage to move forward. We all love you and have you in our prayers.

And to Robert, God's snare line just added another shining star. You will be missed, but not forgotten. Rest easy...

Edited by Newseditor44