It's Move-In Week!

I reminisce about the history of the activity too, but not its demand. It was demand back then, yes, but the level of demand is greater now than it ever has been.

I marched 20 years ago. Drum corps is just better now. I can't stand to sit down and watch videos of shows from the era that I marched and I suspect that the overwhelming majority of the folks that are involved in the activity feel the same way.

Not Me I watch/Listen as much or more than modern shows. LOVE IT !!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I leave this Saturday for the scheduled camp start time, (I'm graduating/have graduated high school already as a trade for my high school starting mega-early), and I get two weeks after I get back to my house to pack my stuff for real and prepare for college. Not bad, I guess, especially compared to some of you. What I'm far more worried about is spring training itself... I'm pretty sure every aspect of my life and standards is about to get thoroughly violated. :D

My second year of corps (2005) I got off the field for finals retreat and back to the buses around 12:30, said goodbye to my corpsmates and packed my stuff into my mom's car and drove to a seedy motel outside of Providence. We got there at 2:00 and woke up at 4 for a 6am flight to Houston for my first year of college and said goodbye to my parents that afternoon. I went from being surrounded by 150 people I had spent an entire summer with to a strange city halfway across the country where I knew absolutely no one in less than 12 hours. It was fun.

For me, it was the weirdest at the start of the season. The very day after graduation, I was in Desoto, practicing with Sky Ryders. I barely had time to say goodbye to my classmates and was still having trouble wrapping the idea around my head that I wouldn't likely be seeing many of those people ever again, after seeing them nearly every day for most of my life. It was very distracting and made adjusting to the grind of drum corps very difficult.

Best wishes to all the Drum Corps marching members, staff and volunteers this summer!

I'm super pumped for the season!

For me, it was the weirdest at the start of the season. The very day after graduation, I was in Desoto, practicing with Sky Ryders. I barely had time to say goodbye to my classmates and was still having trouble wrapping the idea around my head that I wouldn't likely be seeing many of those people ever again, after seeing them nearly every day for most of my life. It was very distracting and made adjusting to the grind of drum corps very difficult.

I had the same timeline, but I had marched 2 years already with the Nighthawks so I kind of knew what to expect. I graduated on Saturday, stayed up all night with my closest friends, got on a plane the next morning very early to Casper and was taken directly to rehearsal in the early afternoon without a stop at my housing. My luggage and I stayed at rehearsal until dinner and then I got to drag my stuff to my host's home. An hour later we were back at the tar pits (asphalt lot) until 10pm or so.

For all of you about to march for the first, second, third, or umpteenth (or last) time this summer: I envy you! Have a great summer and make us throw babies!

I only really know Texas and the Mid-Atlantic/New England, and both of those areas don't get out until around mid-June. For the Crossmen that covers both their current home and their past home (where there are still some members), making it a big deal.

There have been laws passed....or at least debated...in a number of states to mandate that public K-12 school does not start until Labor Day, as they see schools try and start earlier than that. Of course, that would then push the end of the year into June, where now it would be a late-August-thru-late-May timeline.

i never realized some people started and ended sooo late. i thought our last day was later than it needed to be, but to heck if you're going thru most of june!

next year we're going from 8/5 - 5/25, which is just about right.

Best wishes to all members, staff, and volunteers for a

GREAT SUMMER!!!!!

i never realized some people started and ended sooo late. i thought our last day was later than it needed to be, but to heck if you're going thru most of june!

Where is this? Just curious. In VA when I went to school (and still) we started after labor day, and ended around June 20ish. Of course, if "year round" school gets national momentum, then that will be the end of high school kids in drum corps.

Same amount of spring training time as last year - the first show's a week later. Was done intentionally because last year numbers were extremely low for the first week or so of spring training as a lot of Texas kids were still in school. I guess the admin. decided it'd be more efficient to move things back a week and have more than half the corps there than it would to start as early as other people and try to learn drill with half a horn line.

No telling how it'll work out, but there was a reason for it. But I'm sure you knew all of that, Kenny.

I didn't know it was the same as last year. If it is, then I expect all things will be fine, since they were fine last year... at least more fine than when I moved in earlier, lol =)

Edited by soccerguy315

I teach in Massachusetts, school started on the Wednesday after Labor Day and we go til June 26th, because of snow days and such.