Who would like a DCA Unit from maine?

Ive been part of 2 DCI startup corps during my Junior Eligibility time. Both didn't make it to the field. Now that ive aged out, ive always wanted to be part of creating a Drum corps. I happen to live in maine, so basically the question is would DCA like to see a Corps come out of Maine? or at least a mini corps and grow from there?

Hey Moose! It's James. Any and all help to need from me to make this happen, I'll be around! Just let me know :blink:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I've read all the posts in this thread and I feel I, my corps, and our experience over the last 6 years qualifies us to offer you some advice which may be of some worth to you. I think we are the closest model to your idea, in that we basically started over from scratch and dug a long dead corps out of the grave.

Let me start with a comment and a question:

1. .Great... you have an idea.... a dream, maybe even a plan... Are you alone in this or do you have friends, former members or connections to actually propose something which would have traction?

2. How much funding do you have, or what potential do you have to generate funding?

2.a. Do you have a financial plan in place?

3. Members.... where would you draw from and who?

5. Drum Corps Species: What kind of "animal" is your corps to be? It seems you feel DCA all age has the best chance but from that, what kind of philosophy do you feel works best?

6. What's in a name? Probably everything if you are starting something entirely new. The right name could serve to attract, the wrong one could cause the whole idea to be stillborn.

I feel if you can answer the above questions and have a solution to them... then you stand a chance. A chance. I can tell you from our experience that the path is full of land mines. It's not easy to start a corps. Death lurks around every corner.

My corps, The Imperials, are a resurrection corps of a 1960's 70's junior corps. We have actually managed to get off the ground and so far we have avoided death but it's not easy. Sometimes I feel like the Wright brothers who have built this fragile plane that's barely off the ground, but the flight is tenuous and there is a sense that at any time we could wobble into a crash. :thumbs-up: We are a little steadier now, but it's only through stubborn determination that we haven't yet failed.

I dont' mean to go on about us, I only tell this story so maybe you can use the info to your advantage. Here are some of the things which allowed our unlikely seed to start growing:

We had an original corps and concept which had pretty good appeal in it's original form, so when we decided to reform, we felt the original concept and awards won had equity. We got to that stage because we had a reunion in 2002 which was successful. The idea of a reunion wasn't to start a corps but to just get together after 25 years of drum corps entombment. From that reunion that talk of resurrection started. So, we got some initial seed money and moral support from Alumni. That's all evaporated now but at least it got us off the ground. Our alumni -unlike lots of corps- didn't want to be back in the saddle and pick up equipment again. For whatever reason, they just didn't. They supported our efforts but we were left to our own devices to create a new corps. So we got to work, recruiting new people. That's been real tough, but we are finding ways to get it done. So, bringing back the name "Imperials" allowed us seed money because of the obvious sentimental angle with our alumni. I dont' believe our alumni would have ponied up the intitial seed money if we named ourselves "Mach 5" or something :thumbs-up: !

In addition, we created a board of dedicated people who just had no quit in them. We borrowed a motto "Failure is not an Option". I believe we still are walking the walk on that one. We also borrowed another motto: Conceive it, Believe it, Achieve it! That's a good one.

Then we set about recruiting a handful of people. Barely enough to march down the street. We felt we needed a minimum of 6 horns, 1 snare one Quint and 3 bass. That was the toughest thing to do. It involved us writing endless emails, making calls to people we know, etc. It was cold calling salesmanship at it's finest. A tough job indeed. But much to our surprise, we realised that if you look hard enough, you will find dedicated people out there willing to give it a shot. They exist... but they are few and far between. It's like panning for gold.... 300 pans of sand will yield one gold nugget. We needed doers and starters, not fence sitters and the faint of heart. That is the hardest part... asking someone to dedicate themselves to a concept they are largely unfamiliar with.

Lastly, goals. You need to set them, even if you don't acheieve them. I say keep your long term goals lofty but your short term expectations sober. We almost exploded into space on a number of occasions, but luckily, the sun came up the next day and everytime we did a gut check we learned that the inner core of the corps was intact.

So, at least for us, here we are, 6 years into our resurrection with only modest results to show for it. We are no less proud of what we've done. We are still along way from where we want to be but at least we are still here. We are finally growing and growing with the quality people we want. We are stabilized, debt free and we own all we have. Even though we believe in ourselves, I sense the drum corps community is still skeptical about us. Now we have to convince them if we are to ever attract any of them. You know, the tradional drum corps nuts, over just music people off the streets who don't know much about drum corps. But, if you look at our site http://www.pembrokeimperials.org you'll see our latest picture taken 3/15/09. It is a picture of a tiny but talented and proud corps. Now it's time for us to grow.

AGDrummer, If you think you can hang with this, then I applaud you. I just want to illuminate for you some of the trials and tribulations, obstructions, setbacks you may encounter.

Sincerely, J Stark - Director, Imperials.

Both of my parents marched with the Imperials, and both went to the reunion. I'd be happy to see them out again.

• 10 months later...
I say go for it! I remember the "20.th Maine Regiment" from the mid to late eighties.....and I always thought that it was so cool to have a corps from Maine. I really think you guys are due for it there....so, again, go for it!!! The more states that have a presence in the Activity....the better it is for the Activity overall.

"Best Wishes" to you!!!

Man ... so weird to see the corps mentioned over and over again, and yet.... no photos ... no video ...no sound ... nothing. so very very sad.....

Everyone would agree they'd like to see a unit come from anywhere. The advice so far is very practical and sound.

You really need a transparent, well-thought-out, and solid business plan if you want your dream to become reality and then become self-sustaining over the long term. You need people involved in that way that are honest, and understand how to make sure the corps is fiscally sound and responsible.

The problem is that most of us involved in the actiivity from a performing and creative way would like to think we can just grab some instruments and peeps and it will just happen. It's not that simple, and if you're not business/financially minded or independently wealthy, you will need help. Practical, sober, and *honest* help in this way unless you want to do this for 3 or less years and then can it because the organization isn't self-sustaining.

As it's been said, plan long-term, but make sure everything is in place to succeed and work to a practical, conservative plan.

This reminds me of an interview I had for a HS band position up in NE PA. The program had been strong, had had respect and success, but the durector had moved to a better position where he was given more resources and such from the disctrict. The replacement had been a local goold-ole boy with his local connections with a serious drinking problem. Within 3-4 years, the program was destroyed. 10 kids left/program lost 80 percent of its kids, etc.

The School Board wanted the successful candidate to get in there and immediately take what was left of the wreckage and immediately get the program back to its previous success that season. Oh-- and the know-nothings on the board didn't like that hoity-toity stuff the band did when it was successful, either. (Heaven forbid the Holst Second Suite in F is inaccessible to the listening public, huh!?) They wanted that big college stuff out of a 20 musician ensemble.

Need less to say, I didn't get the job, because I didn't lie through my teeth and make big promises I or no one short of Jesus with a miracle in hand could not remotely keep, the fools in charge had goals and objectives incompatible with each other, and I also told them the program needed a minimum of a 5 year rebuild. About 20 years later, the program has remained in oblivion.

So- build conservatively, make sure your goals are realistic and attainable and not conflicting with each other, and make sure what you have will stay around for years to come for you, your friends, and for Maine. Good luck!

I am actually considering trying to start a DCA Drum Corps in western NY. We have several good groups around here - Empire Statesmen, Rochester Crusaders, Mighty St. Joes, and smaller groups - but they are all East or South of Rochester. Or you can head 6 hours south to Reading, PA for the Bucs. I find it hard to believe that there isn't a Buffalo, NY corps. I am from Rochester but am moving to Medina, NY this summer. I would love to start a group near Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Williamsville, Lockport, etc. I'd be interested in hearinghow you really go about founding a start up. I was a start-up founder of the Hilton Generations Marching Band, a community group north west of Rochester but it is a community band - no where NEAR the caliber of a drum corps. I'd be interested in comparing notes on how to get started. Thanks! Best of luck to you on your start-up!

-Josh Dimino (JoshDimino@gmail.com)

Ive been part of 2 DCI startup corps during my Junior Eligibility time. Both didn't make it to the field. Now that ive aged out, ive always wanted to be part of creating a Drum corps. I happen to live in maine, so basically the question is would DCA like to see a Corps come out of Maine? or at least a mini corps and grow from there?
Edited by Dimino519

See if you get UMaine in Orono to host an event. They've got a really nice field :tongue:

The last corps I remember from that state were the 5th Maine Regiment in the juniors. It would be nice to see another though.

I can just hear Fran Haring announcing the corps, "....and now, the Maine Event!!! Let's get Ready to Rumble!" :thumbup:

Okay, seriously...I was in the Marine Corps Field Music School with a former Pinetree Warrior. David Poisson - wicked good soprano; very nice person.

As for starting a new corps, GO FOR IT !!! Recruit all the help you can get, just delegate the various levels of authority carefully. Also, try to get consumate professionals to become members of the BoD.

(someone who understands music, another who knows law, one who knows business management, etc.) Try to get some local politicians and maybe a local celebrity involved, at least on the surface.

And if anyone ever tels you you won't succeed, just dig in your heels, and work all the harder.

Best of luck in your endeavor.