How does one start a drum and bugle corps?

but i see at least one person who aged-out in 2007 on the "group roster" so i'm not sure what the connection is to the drum corps...(after looking and seeing they aren't yet a DCI approved group) perhaps they are using this as a way to bulk up their numbers for their first year and thus to gain interest for potential members for future years. if that is the case, that's quite a nice idea...never heard of doing that before, and kudos to them for it.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indiana definitely. Star did pretty well for themselves and if you work with IU, that could do nothing but improve the corps.

Blue Stars has all of their camps and spring training in Indianapolis now. Many of the members come from IN and IL, as do many of their staff.

Blue Stars has all of their camps and spring training in Indianapolis now. Many of the members come from IN and IL, as do many of their staff.

That could put a damper on any plans to start a new corps in that area.

If you go to the DCI webpage and click on "Corps", there is a link for "Corps Map". It seems to me that there is a big open hole if you start in MN and the Dakotas and go south through western Iowa, NE, KS, MO, AR and OK. THAT would seem to be the best area to get started with an Open Class corps, if you can find a community in one of those states willing to support it.

Also, what are some of the markets that you believe could use another DCI corps? A few that come to mind are Minnesota, Colorado, Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois.

Try Missouri. We have some of the highest Countdown turnout rates in the country, but no close DCI corps and what can in places be a fairly dismal music education system. West Missouri (and Kansas) is an especially lame place to try to do drum corps from (hooray UMKC '13 >:|). I think Illinois and Pennsylvania are going to be okay. :P

And Indiana has Blue Stars, who don't do hardly anything in LaCrosse anymore.

Edited by Stryfe

Get about 5 adults together and form a "Board of Directors".

Get all your administrative stuff out of the way like 501©3.

Look for Grants and Some Local Businesses for sponsors.

Look for equipment (used to stat with)

Try to get some Local Band Directors to help out with Arranging music and Instructing the Horn Line and Drum Line.

If they won't help then look for others to help out.

Secure a rehearsal location: Church, School or National Guard/Reserve Armory.

Make a Camp/Rehearsal Schedule

Advertise your Corps

Get kids to show up to your camps.

Note: Don't go DCI right away. Do local gigs and participate in the Small Drum Corps Association 1st. Build numbers and and money before going to a big circuit.

These are just some things that might help that we did. People are less willing to work with your group if you don't have the non-profit status.

Get about 5 adults together and form a "Board of Directors".

Get all your administrative stuff out of the way like 501©3.

Look for Grants and Some Local Businesses for sponsors.

Look for equipment (used to stat with)

Try to get some Local Band Directors to help out with Arranging music and Instructing the Horn Line and Drum Line.

If they won't help then look for others to help out.

Secure a rehearsal location: Church, School or National Guard/Reserve Armory.

Make a Camp/Rehearsal Schedule

Advertise your Corps

Get kids to show up to your camps.

Note: Don't go DCI right away. Do local gigs and participate in the Small Drum Corps Association 1st. Build numbers and and money before going to a big circuit.

These are just some things that might help that we did. People are less willing to work with your group if you don't have the non-profit status.

I agree with the above.

Sun Devils Drum Corps what we did:

Year 1 (started in dec 07)

a)got a group of people together who wanted to do it.

b)Fortunate that some of that group had a 501c3 and equipment and BOD (big !!!!)

c) laid out a plan and elected an exec director. - we were very ambitious in trying to compete in 1st year.

we felt that it would be the only way that would work in Florida. Florida is talent rich area and we couldn't come across as just a parade corps and hope to succeed. everything here is measured against top 5 DCI.

d) was able to network and get members

e) was able to borrow equipment we didn't have (pit) from a high school (free)

f) able to use same high school for rehearsal site (free)

g) able to get staff and show (free)

h) got certified by DCA for competition

i) bought 135 used uniforms and shakos (local high school - good price)

j) hit the competition field and also did some parades.

Year 2

k) moved rehearsal to another school and was able to borrow Bb brass along with pit (brass previously used by Teal)

l) got certified by DCI for all-age exhibition status

I still think the local/parade corps type start is the way to go in other places. Be a great local corps first.

Fund-raising and volunteers the big problem. we struggle with both. Need commited people with a common achievable goal.

how does one start a drum corps?

Practice, Practice, Practice

how does one start a drum corps?

Practice, Practice, Practice

Im hoping to start a corps DCA unit first hand up in maine any help would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with the above.

Sun Devils Drum Corps what we did:

Year 1 (started in dec 07)

a)got a group of people together who wanted to do it.

b)Fortunate that some of that group had a 501c3 and equipment and BOD (big !!!!)

c) laid out a plan and elected an exec director. - we were very ambitious in trying to compete in 1st year.

we felt that it would be the only way that would work in Florida. Florida is talent rich area and we couldn't come across as just a parade corps and hope to succeed. everything here is measured against top 5 DCI.

d) was able to network and get members

e) was able to borrow equipment we didn't have (pit) from a high school (free)

f) able to use same high school for rehearsal site (free)

g) able to get staff and show (free)

h) got certified by DCA for competition

i) bought 135 used uniforms and shakos (local high school - good price)

j) hit the competition field and also did some parades.

Year 2

k) moved rehearsal to another school and was able to borrow Bb brass along with pit (brass previously used by Teal)

l) got certified by DCI for all-age exhibition status

I still think the local/parade corps type start is the way to go in other places. Be a great local corps first.

Fund-raising and volunteers the big problem. we struggle with both. Need commited people with a common achievable goal.

I'd pretty much buy the book from the Sun Devils on, "How to Start a Drum Corps Quick and Easy", They have cornered the market on Speed and Quality.

Edited by Kansan