How does one start a drum and bugle corps?

The first key to starting a successful drum and bugle corps is to find yourself a good quality straight-jacket....'cause after a few months of running in circles spending $ and bothering everyone you know to support you, you're going to need it:-)

Oh, and a padded room with no windows will come in handy as well!

Edited by ussglassman

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right...cause who would want to invest in kids. :blink:

Don't be delusional.It's a trait in our activity. Although a Nobel cause when looking for money investing in kids isn't the tactic you want to use. Especially in these days and major corporations going under, I can tell you 1st had the same with non profits is happening. If you think you have a good cause there are 10 other causes down the block all worthy..I have to agree unfortunately with the other poster on this But hey good luck ya never know.

Don't be delusional.It's a trait in our activity. Although a Nobel cause when looking for money investing in kids isn't the tactic you want to use. Especially in these days and major corporations going under, I can tell you 1st had the same with non profits is happening. If you think you have a good cause there are 10 other causes down the block all worthy..I have to agree unfortunately with the other poster on this But hey good luck ya never know.

I'm not delusional, thanks for playing anyway.

Also, what are some of the markets that you believe could use another DCI corps? A few that come to mind are Minnesota, Colorado, Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois.

I'd love to get another one started here in Colorado, I'm not a real big fan of the Blue Knights' style. But first I need to actually march in a corps...and go to college... :blink: But it's a definite thought for the future!

I'm not delusional, thanks for playing anyway.

Didn't mean you were delusional , I meant that if you wanted to start something look with open eyes. Drum Corps, Winter Guard, etc etc is a business and has to be run ( unfortunately ) like a business

Good Luck

Didn't mean you were delusional , I meant that if you wanted to start something look with open eyes. Drum Corps, Winter Guard, etc etc is a business and has to be run ( unfortunately ) like a business

Good Luck

Got it..I apologize for taking it as directed at me. And I understand that your comments are in general :) While a business mind set is crucial for any type of product of this nature, it is very possible to start something (even if a smaller scale) with less cost that will still positively effect and provide opportunities for performers.

Ok after reading this thread I felt you should know this. Starting a drum corps, especially from the ground up, is INCREDIBLY hard work. After coming on as an assistant in my corps board of director's I've realized that unless you got staff and the CORE of the CORPS ( ha ha bad joke :blink: ) you will fail. Anyway thats my 2 cents, best of luck.

Additions to my earlier comments:

Trying to start (or rebuild) a corps, you will find a million nay-sayers for every ONE person genuinely wishing you well. (and there are a lot here who genuinely ARE wishing you well)

For every 1000 well-wishers you encounter, you will most likely find precisely (2) who will actually get involved and help you. They are very long odds.

If you DO go ahead with this;

When you are doing the hard work, taking on the risk, and investing the time and effort, simply remember that if you can make a positive difference in the lives of the kids you serve, it is all worth it many times over.