I preferred rehearsal over show days. WHAT?!

Hey DCP.

Something... thats alway's bothered me about my experience marching through the years was something I've always had the same reaction to when I admited.

I hated show days.

I had more fun, I enjoy more, and completely miss unequivically, night block and rehearsal in general.

Nothing, ever, was more fun to me than wearing barely any clothing, holding a pair of disgustingly dirty, green, and hot Cymbals. Seeing that Delta logo we painted on our practice plates flash by every so often. I absolutely LOVED doing 5-6 reps of something in a row, doing it perfectly, and knowing the rest of the line next to me hit everything flawlessly. I get all hyped up remembering ending reps at the end of a major phrase and its just quiet and still till the "Check it and adjust" was called. Not to mention and running around under stadium lights with a cool breeze for the last 4-5 hours of the night block.

Then, after days of rehearsal fun (for me), we s**t, showered, and shaved. Put on the uniforms, and performed.

I dont know why... but I hated show days. I guess.. It just seemed annoying to me doing all that was entailed on those days. I also have.. a feeling.. mind you that I honestly did not like marching in a uniform. I felt constricted, and uncomfortable.

Maybe it was the fact that it was me and my section, being all bad ***, together, with no one judging us and being in the element I know I was meant for.

Also, my favorite part of the entire season was the 6 weeks of all-days. I very much had less fun on actual tour.

This was a feeling I even started realizing in the old highschool days. Where I loved wearing a drum at rehearsal and just going and going and drumming cleaner and cleaner.

I know I know!

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

I just wondered today, was I the only one?

Surely.. someone else out there felt the same way?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is somewhat related, but I always thought it would be ridiculously cool for corps to do one or two shows a year in their undies and headgear.

HOT

I'm down

Night blocks on rehearsal days are awesome. I love it when you've been doing a show every day for awhile and you finally get to somewhere where you're staying for a couple of days. Those night blocks are cool, calm, and quiet, the runthrough is way easier, and it's great to know that when you're done with rehearsal you don't have to worry about showering, shaving, eating, packing, polishing, etc. in an hour and half to get down the road. You can just go eat from the food truck, take a nice long shower, relax with that special someone or your friends and then lay down on your air mattress and get a good night's rest. Those days are definitely my favorite days.

Edited by TSRTS13

Well I'll be the first to disagree :laughing: I love the audience's reaction to a performance... I love giving them a reason to need a crowbar to remove that smile from their face. Show days are the best.

Plus seeing the girls in the guard marching in what essentially were bra and panties didn't hurt either!

I didn't mind rehearsal days. The last block at night is really nice, because everything comes together and you are under the lights. Rehearsal days are when you can accomplish a lot.

I liked the show days for the performances, but all the other stuff about those days, I could do without, lol. Like, packing, showering in 5 seconds, polishing the instrument, taking down the scaffolding, shortened meals etc

... I also admit to getting grumpy when you have 2/3 rehearsal days and your score goes down.

Edited by soccerguy315

Night block on rehearsal days are awesome. I love it when you've been doing a show every day for awhile and you finally get to somewhere where you're staying for a couple of days. Those night blocks are cool, calm, and quiet, the runthrough is way easier, and it's great to know that when you're done with rehearsal you don't have to worry about showering, shaving, eating, packing, polishing, etc. in an hour and half to get down the road. You can just go eat from the food truck, take a nice long shower, relax with that special someone or your friends and then lay down on your air mattress and get a good night's rest. Those days are definitely my favorite days.

agreed, points for you.

I loved stretch in the morning and night block. The rest of the rehearsal day was always "meh" at best. I liked visual block, but would rather play and march, and I hated music block for the simple fact that holding the horn up and playing without moving is boring!

Show days, though....everything from the final runthroug until we hit the road that night was awesome. Not saying you're wrong, but definitely my preference.