I preferred rehearsal over show days. WHAT?!

Each has their upsides and downsides. Too many of either in a row and youre ready for the other.

Gotta love night blocks, always loved those. The performances were my favorite part of drum corps, aside from all the friendships. However, night blocks, and the feeling after a long rehearsal day or two of how much you accomplished fixing the show was pretty nice too.

Either one beats 'show day from my recliner in iowa checking DCP'.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved and hated aspects of both.

On show days I loved:

-getting into uniform and circling up with my pitsters before the 2 minutes of pit transition time. (or maybe it was 3, but it was always hectic and I enjoyed having the pit trailer load/unload/load system down to a fine science)

-the last few minutes of silent reflection and "game face" building just before taking the field.

-hearing the crowd get all hyped up as we approached.

-the feeling of connection between all of us in uniform, our DM and the crowd.

- the moment right before the first downbeat, feeling centered and ready to play

-getting that electric sensation when you hit a run just right with the ensemble or the dynamics are unusually good or, or, or... (the list could go on and on)

-snapping to parade rest after the show and seeing the reactions in the stands in front of me

On rehearsal days I loved:

-longer, more relaxed meals

-cleaning equipment (yeah, I'm weird like that)

-being able to stay in one place for more than 12 hours

-night rehearsals

There's plenty I hated, but it doesn't really matter now. All I know is that being able to do those less-desirable things day in and day out was important and I'm very glad I did it.

I hated show days, rehearsal days, and bus rides.

I marched drum corps for the chance to do my laundry in different cities across the country.

Seriously though, I still get excited about good laundromats. The one near my house is amazing! All three buses could probably do their laundry there in one block's worth of time.

For me, show days always had a feeling of, "Holy crap we have a million things to fix before the show in a few hours. runhurrygowhyarentyoumovingfaster" whereas rehearsal days were more relaxed. Not that we didn't have any less of the show to fix, but we had the entire day to do it.

To quote a play from my Acting class this past semester, "It's not even like apples and oranges, it's more like apples and ...stationwagons..."