I preferred rehearsal over show days. WHAT?!

I always prefered a rehearsal over a show. I just enjoyed playing. At rehearsals the instructors were always on you constantly (they never seem to let up) but they always corrected your mistakes. Judges don't have that kind of mercy, and when you stepped onto the competition field you knew it. Tends to pump up you're blood pressure. I wouldn't give it back though. It was exciting. :laughing:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All days or spring training... I hate. I hate being in the same place for weeks, seeing the same surroundings, practicing on the same fields, etc. My favorite part of ST though is learning drill... for some reason I love learning drill. I think it's because I don't need to lug my horn around, lol. Show days... we had this one show day where we slept in, then had one block with fruit break (!?!?!?!?!). Had a good show that night too. But I hated most show days. Especially after rehearsal is over... and you have to take the #### scaffolding down, then rush around packing, showering, polishing. NO FUN. But I love shows themselves. I love being in uniform... unless the sun is still out, which it often was last summer...

anyway... rehearsal days.... i hate the whole day leading up to the last block at night. I love having block at night. I feel like there is always an extra energy for some reason, and we usually had a kick ### run too... probably because it is cooler, and we aren't held back by our unis.... and after the run, you get to relax, eat some food, take a long ####### shower, and just take some time to relax and clear your mind. I usually also take some time and take care of my horn... cause my sweat murders that thing.

I had two years of spring training/all-days at some high school, and one year where we stayed in dorms at a college. Staying in dorms at a college made a HUGE difference. Being at a high school, everyone has to sleep in the gym, just like tour. Everyone has to go to sleep at lights out. Being at a college, though, you have SO many options, and you can go to bed whenever you need to. There are plenty of places to go and work on your dotbook or whatever you need to do. Any you can shower and just hang out after rehearsal is over. We ordered Chinese and pizza to the dorms a bunch of times. So yea, I can definitely see how one could feel that spring training is the best part of drum corps.

I feel like I would rather sleep with the entire corps. Start the bonding process for the corps in whole. I would feel to separated, especially as a rookie. My corps would probably have someone patrolling making sure we were sleeping anyways.....

Things I hated about show days last year:

- Less time for lunch

- Fast-paced rehearsal

- Run through at the hottest part of the day

- Taking down scaffolding

- Having to eat as fast as possible

- Shaving/Trimming

- Polishing your horn outside on the hot pavement

- Having to pack your stuff up in time so people can clean out the gym

- Showering/Getting clean only to start sweating as soon as you set foot outside again

- NEVER having enough time for a cigarette during EPL (or to relax, if you're not a smoker)

- My side of the bus was ALWAYS on the side the sun was on last year

- Not having working air conditioning vents in my seat

- Having to sit with a euphonium in my lap

- Getting off the bus in half-uniform and having to stand silent and stare into the sun

- Not being able to talk during warm-ups

- Walking from the lot to the gate silently

- Performing when the sun is up

Things I liked about show days:

- Shorter rehearsal

- Free time after the show

- Catching up with friends from other corps

- Seeing other shows

- Changing out of my uniform

I would say performing, but the audience never seemed to enjoy our shows, and the actual act of performing is more painful than enjoyable. My favorite performances are reps and runs in rehearsal. Audiences are over-rated.

Man, I really hate show days. The more I think about it, the more I dislike them. There's just nothing comfortable about them, from start to finish. I think a lot of it has to do with the rules/guidelines/regulations my corps have which make it more stressful, but part of it is just the nature of a show day.

Edited by TSRTS13

I've said this for years:

I hated rehearsal days and show days equally. I *really* marched drum corps for the bus rides. The rest was just filler.

No, I'm not joking. The good times on the bus were what I loved most.

I hated rehearsal days and show days equally. I *really* marched drum corps for the bus rides. The rest was just filler.

I can relate to that. The bus was your home away from home. It's where you found your friends, brothers and sisters. :laughing:

I love me a good rehearsal day.

3 full meals and snack.

9 hours on the floor.

A bit longer of a shower.

A chance to take a nice, peaceful ####.

A chance to do your homework.

A bit of time to chill in one spot with your mates.

A chance to actually make what feels like real progress on the show instead of just maintaining what you got.

If you're on staff, you always find the nearest watering hole and essentially take over the place (skanky small town bars were always my favorites).

On show days, you never stop moving. You're always going somewhere to do something.

QFT

I liked travel days the best too. You get to sit down. You have time to listen to your tapes (err, CDs) and other leisurely pursuits. Talk about days gone by without getting yelled at, sing songs, and all that makes drumcorps special.

I liked rehearsal days too. You're not robbed of your hours due to a show. You don't have to tear down and pack up. Clean your equipment, relocate all your gear and all that goes with the interruption to your routine.

Show days were nice too though. Call rehearsal early to leave time for all that it takes to prepare for a show. Spend a couple hours traveling. Dawn the uniform and entertain an audience. Hang out in the stands for a couple hours while the other 12 corps performed after you. Hang with members of other corps. Even some from your home town in other corps.

I guess that's why I liked marching a bottom 6 of the top twelve corps. Loads of hang time. Low stress about getting a ring. And tons of other good management decisions not trying to break the bank winning at all costs. Like making the call to sleep this afternoon because it's too hot. But then again we always lost a load of rehearsal time because we went on first. And other competitive handicaps. Furthest housing site from the show, never getting to rehearse at the show site, no victory concerts. And a general whatever attitude when wanting to talk to someone about your corps who isn't in your corps.