Anyone ever march BOTH?

Cavies or Phantom  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Did you march in Cavaliers or Phantom Regiment?

• Cavaliers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Neither...I just HAD to vote in the poll, though! ;-)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe a reason people tend to leave to join other corps is because the majority of people believe that one has to participate in a top corps in order for someone to take you seriously. Personally, I think there is no correlation between the caliber of the corps a person marches and their teaching methods/knowledge/success. I know plenty of people who marched top corps and won who turns out to become horrible teachers or ended up working at McDonalds, in other words, world champions are not immuned to real life problems, they're normal just like everyone else. And plus, who says you have to march corps at all to be successful, I mean look at people who marched low placed corps or not at all and still did quiet well. Drum corps should be something that someone does purely for the joy of entertaining or performing challening shows, but more and more people each year goes into the activity to "win" . Drum corps doesn't define the person, the person defines themselves. Don't make a simple thing so complex, just do it to have fun guys. (and to get your ### kicked)

I think great players who make lousy teachers are more common than most people think. My theory is that great players find it easier to succeed, many times due to natural talent. It's just easier for them. People who have to struggle a little more learn ways to overcome their difficulties and seek different ways to address them. Once they become teachers, it gives them a broader understanding of various techniques, and empathy for their students who are facing the same kind of struggles they faced.

In my case, I was a decent drummer for 70's era drum corps. But I can teach someone to be a better drummer than me, especially if they just plain have more natural talent.

I don't think that he meant his literal resume.

Also marching a bunch of different corps isn't any kind of prerequisite for music majors because the vast majority of music majors never march drum corps. I would even say that the majority of drum corps participants are not music majors.

As for corps loyalty, it is still there. Most people don't change corps.

I think you're right.

However, changing corps is perfectly fine too. If someone feels like they would have a better experience at corps B as opposed to corps A why shouldn't they go for it?

I don't have so much a problem with corps A to corps B, especially within the context you use. My problem is the person who marches corps A, corps B, corps C, corps D, etc., chasing a ring.

The funny thing to me is that people complain about people not marching lower corps when they don't make their dream corps and then complain when people march in a lower corps and then move on to march with their dream corps.

If at first you don't succeed settle for your second choice and never ever even think about trying again

You know, that's a good point. In a perfect world, we'd all march with our local corps and try to make them one of the elite. For some corps, that's never going to happen. In some cases, the corps folds or takes a year or two off. I personally love the stories of kids marching somewhere else while their corps reorganizes, then come back when their original corps returns.

Sorry, just following the tangent. Now, back to the OP's thread. (But "BOTH" should be an option in the poll, especially when it's in the thread title.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

An age out of 2009 Music City Mystique marched Crossmen, Blue Devils, Phantom Regiment, and The Cavaliers. (Maybe Pioneer but I dont remember)

He marched Bass. Does that count?

he also marched surf on euphonium and is now teaching the troopers

I was planning on adding BD to my resume for my age out year, but ended up in a career instead that summer :(

And this is what is wrong with drum corps today. It's no longer a drum corps family or life-long friendships. It's all about "me and my credentials."

I'm sorry for any young people that share that view. But not surprised.

The people I circulate with, for the most part, marched 4-5 years with their corps -- good times and bad -- and NEVER would have thought of jumping ship to "build a resume." If they changed corps, it was because they outgrew (graduated?) their little local/regional cadet or D3 corps and went on to someone like Phantom or Scouts.

And this is what is wrong with drum corps today. It's no longer a drum corps family or life-long friendships. It's all about "me and my credentials."

The people I circulate with, for the most part, marched 4-5 years with their corps -- good times and bad -- and NEVER would have thought of jumping ship to "build a resume." If they changed corps, it was because they outgrew (graduated?) their little local/regional cadet or D3 corps and went on to someone like Phantom or Scouts.

Yep, that one guy is certainly what is wrong with drum corps today! Surely he is representative of the drum corps community as a whole and not the exception!

Kids these days!

Do you guys not understand that he didn't mean "resume" literally? Jesus!

And this is what is wrong with drum corps today.

Really?

It's no longer a drum corps family or life-long friendships.

REALLY??? That never happens anymore? EVER?!

It's all about "me and my credentials."

People NEVER jumped ship back in the day? I guess all those people I know who marched back in the 70's and 80's who marched in multiple corps just didn't exist or were lying to me or something. I have no idea where this nonsensical delusion comes from where one thinks that only in modern drum corps is there "no loyalty" or people jumping ship or ring chasers or whatever. The people I know who did it back then had the same reasons as some of the kids today do. Some wanted another experience. Some didn't find what they were looking for where they were. Some saw their age-out year as an opportunity to see what it would be like to march in one of the top corps or perhaps their dream corps. And yes, some even flat-out chased a ring. Back in the day. So I guess that's what USED to be wrong about drum corps back then, too, huh?

Ridiculous.

If the vast majority of corps members stay put and dont jump ship, then I stand corrected and offer my apologies.

Yes people did change corps back in my day but nowhere near to the extent they do today. If someone did not make the top 3 corps they tried out for, they would still march somewhere else, even A or A-60. They did not look at a non finalist corps or lower division corps as somehow less of an experience or damaging to their credentials as kids seem (key word here.... SEEM) to today.

Oh, MY BAD, i'm sooooooooo sorry that I didn't get the memo that you're only supposed to march one 1 corps in your entire DCI career.

I have my reasons for jumping ship so much. I still talk to people from all 4 corps that I marched.

I was in no way using it for a "resume," I'm not in a music profession. I was never a music major in college, I just knew how to audition and had a solid set of skills.

I wanted to march BD my ageout, not because I wanted to go for a ring, but because I liked the vibe of their front ensemble, after hanging out with them during the Tour of Champions in 2004, I made my decision that I wanted to try their lifestyle for a year.

So, a big screw you, to those who think it's wrong for people to go from corps to corps. If you're so strung up on kids staying with the same corps, then go and pay for their flights to and from every camp, pay their tour dues, give them money to pay their cell phone bills, money for their apartment rent, etc.

Flying from Tallahassee (small rural airport) to Phantom and Madison camps 5-7 times a year, isn't cheap.