Anyone ever march BOTH?

Cavies or Phantom  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Did you march in Cavaliers or Phantom Regiment?

• Cavaliers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Neither...I just HAD to vote in the poll, though! ;-)

Lenny, you're the most popular bass drummer in DCI right now...

I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in on this thread yet. He must be gone on tour already.

As someone who marched beside (and in front of, and behind, and whatever other crazy forms we ended up in) Chris this past summer, It was really cool to hear all of his past experiences and information about the other corps he marched. It's interesting to hear about how the other groups do things, from someone who actually experienced it. And anyone who knows him knows that NO one has more stories than Chris...lol

Had I had more time in drum corps, I would have done the same thing. You can't knock someone for wanting to have different experiences.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think people from outside the activity pick a corps based on what they look and sound like during their show, but my advice to anyone wanting to march and trying to pick a corps has always been to pick them based on what they look and sound like in the parking lot after a show. corps have personalities, you can pick them up a little from the shows but its the other 23 hours and 45 minutes a day that make your experience. i think some people will move to a new corps to try for a ring, and that isn't surprising, dci is a youth activity so you'll always have people making juvenile decisions, but most people who switch corps do it because once they are on tour and more of an insider they realize that another corps is a lot better fit for their personality and outlook.

Oh, MY BAD, i'm sooooooooo sorry that I didn't get the memo that you're only supposed to march one 1 corps in your entire DCI career.

I have my reasons for jumping ship so much. I still talk to people from all 4 corps that I marched.

I was in no way using it for a "resume," I'm not in a music profession. I was never a music major in college, I just knew how to audition and had a solid set of skills.

I wanted to march BD my ageout, not because I wanted to go for a ring, but because I liked the vibe of their front ensemble, after hanging out with them during the Tour of Champions in 2004, I made my decision that I wanted to try their lifestyle for a year.

So, a big screw you, to those who think it's wrong for people to go from corps to corps. If you're so strung up on kids staying with the same corps, then go and pay for their flights to and from every camp, pay their tour dues, give them money to pay their cell phone bills, money for their apartment rent, etc.

Flying from Tallahassee (small rural airport) to Phantom and Madison camps 5-7 times a year, isn't cheap.

Apology accepted. [/sarcasm]

Corps loyalty can be a subjective thing.

As for myself, I loved both SCV and BD, and am proud to have marched both, and I feel no disloyalty was involved whatsoever.

There are so many great corps out there, why is it so wrong to have a dream to march more than one of them before it's too late?

My question for people that don't like corps jumpers....

What is so wrong about wanting to win?

Sure its very admirable for someone to ageout with the same corps they've been with for years even if they consistently place low. But what so bad about wanting to go and ageout with one of the top groups?

What is so wrong about wanting to win?

Winning is OK. You're just not supposed to WANT to win. That's bad. ;)

To answer the original question, I marched both Phantom and Cavaliers and I know of two drummers who marched both Cavaliers and Phantom.

It happens on occasion.

There's a guy currently in BD's pit, who marched Scouts, then Cavies, and now BD.

In 1983 I tried out for Phantom Regiment, along with John Wooton, Joe Gary and 4 others from my school (UL-Lafayette). Everyone made it...well except for me. Got back home and my percussion instructor suggested I tryout for the Cavaliers since he marched a few years prior. The rest is history...

so... as the general consensus is that switching corps to "try to win a ring" is bad... so, what about if you win a ring, and then you switch to another top corps?

Of am I going to hear the argument that most corps don't win back to back, so they would have a better chance at a 2nd ring elsewhere...