Anyone ever march BOTH?

Cavies or Phantom  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Did you march in Cavaliers or Phantom Regiment?

• Cavaliers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Neither...I just HAD to vote in the poll, though! ;-)

so... as the general consensus is that switching corps to "try to win a ring" is bad... so, what about if you win a ring, and then you switch to another top corps?

See my earlier post. Charlie Ryan won with Garfield in 83, then moved to BD in 84 to age out. Even though he would've won a 2nd ring with a legendary show, I think he got what he came for with BD. Another ring would've been nice, but being a Blue Devil was just as good!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer the original question, I marched both Phantom and Cavaliers and I know of two drummers who marched both Cavaliers and Phantom.

It happens on occasion.

We've read of a couple/few drummers who have marched both...any word of any brass players or guard members marching both? The devil in Faust, one of you said...any others??

Great input/commentary, guys! I've even enjoyed the BD/SCV vets chiming in as well as the Scout-to-Cadets-to-wherever types. It's interesting hearing where everyone has marched, why they marched there, why they "switched" corps, etc.

Incidentally, I believe a contract is for ONE SEASON. It is not for multitple years...and IIRC, it never was. Pro sports players "switch" around all the time, sometimes b/c they want to play for a former coach who left and is now elsewhere...sometime to play in a given offensive system...sometimes for money...sometimes cuz' the old team decided to move in a "new direction." So I don't take it as a travesty against XYZ corps and its members that someone marched one place one year, another the next, for XYZ corps, then aged out at ABC corps...big deal. Like I've said before, if I had it all to do over again, I might have done just that...better taste of what the activity is all about and all.

And as for a ring...there's nothing wrong with wanting a ring. Is there ANYONE marching a top corps who DOESN'T want a ring? I'd say get lost if they don't...if you're not willing to put in that extra effort knowing everyone else in the placements is also, what are you doing it for?

And something tells me the last-second "add-in's" to GE stuff are expressly meant to add that extra little bit to put a corps over the top at finals. It's a competitive activity...get over it.

And resumes...well, if they're going to teach, wouldn't you think marching in 3-4 different corps with all of the personalities our activity offers, different styles, networking, etc, it would be best to have as wide a network and experience as possible? Maybe music education and business are just totally different in practice...doubt it, having been in both.

So, a weird question came to mind...kind of weird, too, that I've never seen a thread asking this on DCP! I guess that kind of answers the question...but I have to ask it anyways...

Has anyone ever marched BOTH Cavaliers AND Phantom Regiment??

Weird, huh? I'm not aware of anyone. I know a lot of people have marched both BD and SCV, usually heard of that in the order SCV then BD...anyone else go in the opposite order?

Last, for those of you who DID march in the Illinois corps...which did you march in? PLEASE...if you did NOT march one of the two...this is not a popularity poll...just wanted to see what breakdown of DCP'ers marched in one of these two. If you did not, feel free to say so...again, not a popularity poll!

I know a guy who marched SCV ('92 '93) , then BD ('94) then Cadets ('95). And its notable that he left BD after winning a championship. Some chase something besides the rings. Wanted something different and got it in 3 places.

So, a big screw you, to those who think it's wrong for people to go from corps to corps. If you're so strung up on kids staying with the same corps, then go and pay for their flights to and from every camp, pay their tour dues, give them money to pay their cell phone bills, money for their apartment rent, etc.

Flying from Tallahassee (small rural airport) to Phantom and Madison camps 5-7 times a year, isn't cheap.

So, I guess I could respond with a big screw you to people who spend all that money, then come here and other places to beg for more, or whine about taking a year off because they can't afford to go to school and travel all the way across country to march instead of being more fiscally responsible and marching closer to home or in a less expensive corps.

But I won't do that. I'll just use your own argument to illustrate what's wrong with the national drum corps recruiting model.

There's also the local kid who doesn't have a chance to march with a top corps because someone else dropped major dollars and travelled 3000 miles to take a spot. So, they in turn have to drop major dollars to march somewhere else. In this economy, does that make any sense at all?

Now, I understand all about a corps' "personality", and an individual's desire to go to the best corps. In my perfect world, I guess we'd all try to make our local corps the best instead of skipping that part and joining a winner.

Here's a rhetorical question for you to contemplate: If the Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers or any other top corps were restricted to a certain geographical region for recruiting, would they still be able to maintain their elite status? Keep in mind every other corps would have the same restrictions, too.

Well I sure like the odds Crossmen have by their recent move in that scenario, that's for sure!

Now, as for everyone screwin' everyone on my thread, cut it out...yer leavin' a nasty mess on my keyboard and I don't much appreciate it. The air bottle doesn't clean that off. Take it outside (my thread), please. I know Phantom Regiment elicits a pretty strong reaction from some of you, but that stuff just doesn't belong. Thanks.

Here's a rhetorical question for you to contemplate: If the Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers or any other top corps were restricted to a certain geographical region for recruiting, would they still be able to maintain their elite status? Keep in mind every other corps would have the same restrictions, too.

On a guess...BD probably would. With 2 feeder corps, they already have a large pool to draw from, although the B corps probably has a fair number of out of towners...but there's also the local schools to draw from. SCV might be similarly successful, although both might take a quality hit.

The others? Dunno.....

So, I guess I could respond with a big screw you to people who spend all that money, then come here and other places to beg for more, or whine about taking a year off because they can't afford to go to school and travel all the way across country to march instead of being more fiscally responsible and marching closer to home or in a less expensive corps.

Guess I must have touched a nerve with him....

Just thought I would add another perspective to the proceedings but what would I know? I only marched for 6 years, with only 3 of those in the Top 12 and I never won a ring. I did not fly clear accross the country to march, spending money I did not have. I actually had the nerve to MOVE to Sacramento after graduating high school to cut my travel costs. I lived with our tour cook and rented a room from him. Even though I was going to school at Sacramento City College, I still had the nerve to get a JOB to pay MY OWN tour fees.

I sponsor kids because I WANT to. NO kid currently marching in DCI (at ANY level) is ENTITLED to my hard earned money. I sponsor because I want to and then to only a select few who I feel genuinely DESERVE it.

What would I know?

Guess I must have touched a nerve with him....

Just thought I would add another perspective to the proceedings but what would I know? I only marched for 6 years, with only 3 of those in the Top 12 and I never won a ring. I did not fly clear accross the country to march, spending money I did not have. I actually had the nerve to MOVE to Sacramento after graduating high school to cut my travel costs. I lived with our tour cook and rented a room from him. Even though I was going to school at Sacramento City College, I still had the nerve to get a JOB to pay MY OWN tour fees.

I sponsor kids because I WANT to. NO kid currently marching in DCI (at ANY level) is ENTITLED to my hard earned money. I sponsor because I want to and then to only a select few who I feel genuinely DESERVE it.

What would I know?

Saying that someone is "the problem with drum corps today" isn't just adding another perspective and you shouldn't be surprised when someone takes offense

Ahh... fair comment... but in the interest of fairness (and also not to take me out of context) you will also note that I never said that someONE is the problem with drum corps today. I was just trying to illustrate that the general attitude of "all or nothing"..."Ring or bust" is... in MY opinion a huge problem in todays activity. Sure corps hopping happened back in my day but nowhere NEAR to the extent of how much it goes on these days. Perhaps this is a contributing factor to the demise of local drum corps. There used to be a time (not that long ago) when Open Class (as World class was called back then) was the exception, not necessarily the norm. There were more A and A-60 corps than you could count and there were even separate touring divisions for local corps (Garden State Circuit anyone?) that ensured good competitive events and allowed the performers to mature their skills. Then it was not at all uncommon for someone to say "graduate" if you will from say the Raiders on into The Garfield Cadets of Bergen County from Hackensack Delaware. Blue Devils B to A, Santa Clara Cadets to the Vanguard. Black Gold, Knights of Genesseo or Railmen to the Sky Ryders. Yes it happened but generally speaking it was a relatively LOCAL transfer. Generally speaking, back then when that "graduation took place, the member stayed until they aged out. Ring chasers? Yes they existed but they too were the exception, not the norm.

I am not going to apologise here. I genuinely feel that excessive corps hopping is bad for the activity. You are welcome to disagree with me, but don't misquote me and certainly do not attack me for my viewpoint.

But I digress, I am guilty of taking this thread slightly off topic and as a FST member, I will officially sanction myself and ask the rest of us to get back on topic.