Anyone ever march BOTH?

Cavies or Phantom  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Did you march in Cavaliers or Phantom Regiment?

• Cavaliers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Neither...I just HAD to vote in the poll, though! ;-)

Hey,

I am posting under my friend's username since I don't post on here, but this topic really hits home for me.

I marched 89-90 Phantom Regiment and 91-92 Blue Devils and many have asked me why I chose to switch corps. Truth be told, for me I just wanted a different experience and was in love with both corps growing up. I figured, why not march both and have experiences that will vary and friends from each that will vary. In a nutshell, I have since gone on to be a top 12 -Brass Caption Head and the knowledge I took from both Dan Farrell at Phantom and Wayne Downey at BD has helped mold me into the teacher that I have become. I don't think I would be nearly as successful if I had not had both of their perspectives and been exposed to their different teaching styles during my marching years.

I also have two completely different sets of friends from both corps and actually marched with 3 guys that were in both corps at the same time with me. I have great relationships and some close friends from both places and would not trade that for the world. I don't think I was disloyal leaving Phantom because I went for music reasons and the chance to have a totally different experience. Life is about making the most of your experiences and even though I often received "friendly grief" from many friends, it was never personal. Funny thing is, I never placed as high at BD as I did my rookie year at Regiment (2nd), and it didn't even matter. I didn't go for a ring, and when I look back, I am so glad I made the decision to march in both places.

As a caption head, I have also experienced this, having numerous students leave to march a "better" corps and not once did I get mad. I actually helped many of them with recommendations and calls to those brass staffs. I know I am in the minority and maybe my experiences helped make me a little more understanding than most in these situations. My take was if they wanted to go to another corps, we would be better off without them if their heart was not in it at that corps. I myself went through this again after "retiring" from my caption position, only to be offered a position much later at a different corps the following fall. I also had students follow me to that corps last year, Phantom Regiment, which was the the first place i had marched...

So you see, in the end it all came first circle and I had the chance to go and give back to the corps that gave me my first chance at drum corps. And even though I had left to march another corps, they gladly welcomed me back with open arms.

I think we often choose to make too much out of the loyalty thing and not just respect each other for their own choices in life. As long as we treat each other with respect and honor our commitments at present, that should be good enough in my eyes. In the immortal words of Freddy Martin, "We are what we think we are..."

Peace out and resume the discussion.

Chip :tongue:

Edited by trumpetcam

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

I am posting under my friend's username since I don't post on here, but this topic really hits home for me.

I marched 89-90 Phantom Regiment and 91-92 Blue Devils and many have asked me why I chose to switch corps. Truth be told, for me I just wanted a different experience and was in love with both corps growing up. I figured, why not march both and have experiences that will vary and friends from each that will vary. In a nutshell, I have since gone on to be a top 12 -Brass Caption Head and the knowledge I took from both Dan Farrell at Phantom and Wayne Downey at BD has helped mold me into the teacher that I have become. I don't think I would be nearly as successful if I had not had both of their perspectives and been exposed to their different teaching styles during my marching years.

I also have two completely different sets of friends from both corps and actually marched with 3 guys that were in both corps at the same time with me. I have great relationships and some close friends from both places and would not trade that for the world. I don't think I was disloyal leaving Phantom because I went for music reasons and the chance to have a totally different experience. Life is about making the most of your experiences and even though I often received "friendly grief" from many friends, it was never personal. Funny thing is, I never placed as high at BD as I did my rookie year at Regiment (2nd), and it didn't even matter. I didn't go for a ring, and when I look back, I am so glad I made the decision to march in both places.

As a caption head, I have also experienced this, having numerous students leave to march a "better" corps and not once did I get mad. I actually helped many of them with recommendations and calls to those brass staffs. I know I am in the minority and maybe my experiences helped make me a little more understanding than most in these situations. My take was if they wanted to go to another corps, we would be better off without them if their heart was not in it at that corps. I myself went through this again after "retiring" from my caption position, only to be offered a position much later at a different corps the following fall. I also had students follow me to that corps last year, Phantom Regiment, which was the the first place i had marched...

So you see, in the end it all came first circle and I had the chance to go and give back to the corps that gave me my first chance at drum corps. And even though I had left to march another corps, they gladly welcomed me back with open arms.

I think we often choose to make too much out of the loyalty thing and not just respect each other for their own choices in life. As long as we treat each other with respect and honor our commitments at present, that should be good enough in my eyes. In the immortal words of Freddy Martin, "We are what we think we are..."

Peace out and resume the discussion.

Chip :devil:

Oh sure...kill the thread!! j/k

Hey, from a phellow Rockford alum who didn't march his age-out, I wish to God to this day that I had gone to Concord rather than sit home all summer. Oops. Glad you got to march in two fantastic corps with two such incredible staffs. Great perspective...thanks for absconding with your friend's identity to share! Not quite PR and CAVALIERS, but good comments! :tongue: