Off the Record - Legends of the One-Valve Bugle - Part 2

In this issue of Off The Record, Frank continues his exploration of some of the great soloists of all time - all on single-valve instruments. A great cross-section of players from the 60's, the program features some of the legendary names from the activity: D'Amico, Angelica (Cabs), Hlywa (Hurcs),...

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/index.php?o...4&Itemid=65

Thanks again Frank for another trip down memory lane. In the last segment Dave Hill of the Des Planes Vanguard was featured on mellophone. My favorite solo he played was in Bali Hai. I have never heard a better sound on a mellophone then his on that tune. I believe they played it in either 66-67 or 68.

Thank again.

Dave Hill was a monster player who became a marvelous teacher and arranger. That "Sunshine" chart was just a pre-cursor of great things to come. He did superior work with the Renaissance.

While living in England, he wrote for the best drum corps that country ever produced, the Dagenham Crusaders. Coincidentally, he's back working with their reunion corps, in addition to the Starriders of Germany.

The Bali Hai concert Des Plaines performed in '69 was penned by the great Dave Richards, known to many as a premier DCI judge in later years. A future episode will focus on arrangers, including Baumgardt, Dreitzer, Norman, Donnelly, Squires, Fabrizio, Sasso, Denon and others who served as the mentors for those who create today's drum corps sound.

Dave Hill was a monster player who became a marvelous teacher and arranger. That "Sunshine" chart was just a pre-cursor of great things to come. He did superior work with the Renaissance.

While living in England, he wrote for the best drum corps that country ever produced, the Dagenham Crusaders. Coincidentally, he's back working with their reunion corps, in addition to the Starriders of Germany.

The Bali Hai concert Des Plaines performed in '69 was penned by the great Dave Richards, known to many as a premier DCI judge in later years. A future episode will focus on arrangers, including Baumgardt, Dreitzer, Norman, Donnelly, Squires, Fabrizio, Sasso, Denon and others who served as the mentors for those who create today's drum corps sound.

I am enjoying this series enormously - although it seems like the time between each installment is approxmately the same time as between the Harry Potter Movies...

but I have a fear - I remember digging one young soprano player during the time period you're highlighting, and I fear that you'll never give us any examples of his playing...

You remember the kid from Sunrisers... Francis X somethingorother..... think he came from Queens...

Did a couple pretty hot things here and there...

Are the younger DCPers going to be cheated out of that because of your puritan sense of modesty?????

Listening to this during lunchtime at work....

"piece of glorified plumbing" got me laughing out loud...

And thanks for including Princes' "Sweet Georgia Brown". My first record with old corps sounds had Prince on it and "SGB" just blew me away. Great hearing it again...

I am enjoying this series enormously - although it seems like the time between each installment is approxmately the same time as between the Harry Potter Movies...

but I have a fear - I remember digging one young soprano player during the time period you're highlighting, and I fear that you'll never give us any examples of his playing...

You remember the kid from Sunrisers... Francis X somethingorother..... think he came from Queens...

Did a couple pretty hot things here and there...

Are the younger DCPers going to be cheated out of that because of your puritan sense of modesty?????

Ray,

Might that kid be one of the soprano players heard on this clip?

http://h1.ripway.com/dchadwick/Sunrisers66.mp3

:devil:

Got to listen to this yesterday after I got home from work...Yet another fabulous installment ! :tongue:

Again - thanks to Frank and to Fleetwood! :devil:

I am continually amazed by some of the incredible playing on "glorified plumbing", especially the spots with D'Amico and Angelica from the Cabs..Still a fan of Riggie Laus, after seeing him a few years ago at the Alumni show..

And of course hearing my old friend Pepe was incredible!

Can't wait until the next installment..

Pat

Modest? Me? You've got me confused with Screech or Pete China.

:tongue:

Thanks Frank........I gotta go clean up now!!!!

Ray,

Might that kid be one of the soprano players heard on this clip?

http://h1.ripway.com/dchadwick/Sunrisers66.mp3

OH MAN....FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!! :tongue:

I hope someday I can play like that!!!

Edited by FPonzo