How do you want your guard?

SBrancheau

If it were up to you, how would guard be?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. If it were up to you, how would guard be?

• Emphasis on dance, some equipment work, lots of props & costumes
    • Equal balance of dance and equipment work...but with props and costumes
    • Emphasis on equipment work, some dance...some props and costumes
    • Majority of equipment work, little dance, no props or costumes...uniformity of guard apparel

Now tell me why you voted the way you did...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, I won't vote. I want to see what you all want.

It really depends on the show, and what the music calls for. Last year my corps ballad was all flag, while this year it's all dance. If I could vote *anything*, it would be:

-Use what fits the music.

This would leave options open. I've never been in a show with props and I don't really care for them, but considering the Vanguard show last year, props worked well.

As far as "balancing" dance and equipment, I've never been too concerned with keeping track. Have y'all ever finished watching a show and said "GEEZ! Did you notice that they were only spinning for 78% of their show?"

This past winter I was involved with Raiders, and most of our "movement" points came from what was happening *underneath* the equipment work. Combining the two is quite possibly the hardest thing to do...

I am not a huge winterguard person, but I think that there can be a lot more room for dance etc in an indoor show and more emphasis on flag and flag technique in an outdoor program. I love to watch the dancing but find that many guards (esp senior) concentrate soooo much on dance and props that we don't see a true comittment to flag work. But I am NOT an expert at all. I do wish (heheheh) there were more opportunities to get involved in winter guard.......senior winter guard...marching etc.

Oh well I hope ppl post id like to hear more about ideas etc

Tiff b**bs

Now what the heck would be offensive?!

I tried my level best to keep my big fat opinions out of the choices...

Did I fail?

*gasp*

I voted for the third choice,which may be suprising to some of you. :)

The reason I voted for that one is because while I can appreciate dance in a show, I personally am not the best dancer to ever happen. I am all about body and equipment together though. And while I like floors and backdrops in winterguard, I don't like massive sets with shaky ramps and other crazy contraptions and when it comes to equipment I really don't like those comma things.

So there ya go,that is why I voted that way. :)

Well, I have a really hard time classifying what I like and don't like in guard. I used to say that I didn't like slow shows, but then I saw BD's last world class winterguard show and I changed my mind, sort of. I think that anything works if it's done well. Some things, like slow shows, are harder to pull off than others.

With the whole props thing, I personally don't really like them. However, sometimes they are the better design choice. If a guard is not that strong, sometimes props are necessary to cover that up. If a guard is truly good, though, props should not be necessary. The only exception I would make to that rule is that a prop is only as good as how you use it. When a guard that really is good enough that props shouldn't be necessary and is just using them to take up space, that doesn't work. When the prop makes the work more difficult or can be spun with as much technique as normal equipment, then it works. The commas, I think, work. Backdrops just sitting behind a performance do not.

I voted for the fourth one but with a caveat. Being a member of the 81, west side story, and bond Cavalier guards I can appreciate movement, a little dance, no props because after being a part of a pyramid that a rifle flew over you don't really need them for a show, and costumes can be effective if they fit the show. I am not for costumes on the field period.

In reality I hate that you have to make this choice. Isn't it a shame that there isn't room for all the types of guards you mentioned. Dang, there used to be! Jeeze, I remember when the Seattle Imperials(as dance as a any guard today) competed againist the military guards of the Blue Devils, Kingsman, and the Canberra Brigade. Somedays dance won, somedays military one but there was room for all to compete.

Have y'all ever finished watching a show and said "GEEZ! Did you notice that they were only spinning for 78% of their show?"

No, but I have said " did you notice that they did not spin not one time in their show" My idea of spining is singles and double timing. They do neither as far as I have seen.

Movement is great and I learned that well in our 85 show. If well intergrated within the equipment work it can be very effective both on the floor and field. Dance is visually best within WGI and should be discarded completely on the field where the equipment is more visually effective.

Oh I forgot to add why I do like backdrops. I don't like them cause you can "hide" people behind them. I like them cause you can have very nice exits and entrances when you need to go change pieces of equipment. I just think they add more variety. :)