Synthesizers in drum corps

There are some camp recordings from this weekend rising to the surface on some of the tube channels.

I just watched and listened to my first video of the season of a drum corps using a Synthesizer.I must say I am totally in shock and appalled at the moment.

There was some beautiful music being played.lots of dynamics and lots of balls coming from the honrline...then the corps stumbles into a guitar synthesizer accompanying a soloist.I about puked onto my keyboard.

Its probably going to be beat to death this summer(as if it already hasn't) but I suspect some of the corps that are using them this year are going to lose their fan base pretty quick.

Just my opinon.Don't shoot the messenger if you don't like the message.

Edited by camel lips

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be curious to see what Jeff Lee does with Santa Clara. While he's had history with the Devs, he's also done work in the CA high school band scene when he was with Clovis West and James Logan.

Speaking of Devs, let's see what Jim Wunderlich does too.

I think my problem with the use of synths in a competition arena is that it can cloud true judgement to music sheets. I've seen 8 tubas on a field, but strangely enough, I can't hear them. They add some great depth in a drum solo, but they can also take away from the audience's ability to experience a corps true hornline.

Edited by Wildabeast

who had the guitar synthesizer

Obviously if you post a completely negative opinion, people are going to disagree with you...not saying people should be allowed to attack you personally, but you can't expect people not to have strong disagreements.

I'd also like to ask you to prove it; I searched every corps in last year's top 12 on the video searches...nothin'.

I'd also like to ask you to prove it; I searched every corps in last year's top 12 on the video searches...nothin'.

did it too

I'll reserve most of my judgment just like everyone else.

For now, I've only heard one corps using synths in a camp vid (Colts), and I didn't like it. Electronics just naturally sound terrible to me backdropped against an outdoor marching ensemble, so this summer will probably hard to stomach for me.

Obviously if you post a completely negative opinion, people are going to disagree with you...not saying people should be allowed to attack you personally, but you can't expect people not to have strong disagreements.

Keep surfing,,you will find it.

I did not post a completely negative comment.Please go back and re-read.

What I said was

There are some camp recordings from this weekend rising to the surface on some of the tube channels.

There was some beautiful music being played.lots of dynamics and lots of balls coming from the hornline...then the corps stumbles into a guitar synthesizer accompanying a soloist.I about puked onto my keyboard.

That is not totally negative.I listed some positive things about the way this corps was sounding.Very impressed as a matter of fact.

who had the guitar synthesizer

I am not going to violate the TOS here on DCP and post a link to a video.If you search some of the more popular channels where videos have been discovered in the past,,you will find it.

Besides there is no reason to start bashing the corps or the hard working kids in this corps.The season is not under way yet and the corps management may have a change of heart and change their usage of synthesizers all together.

Edited by camel lips

I know that many people are against some of the added electronics, etc. in drum corps, but I’ve heard them used in what was something like a winter guard type show, and they sounded pretty good when they were used right. They had guitars, keyboards, etc. So thus, I might be one in the minority that doesn’t have anything against them. To me, it’s whatever sounds good. But this is my opinion.

I just watched and listened to my first video of the season of a drum corps using a Synthesizer.I must say I am totally in shock and appalled at the moment.

There was some beautiful music being played.lots of dynamics and lots of balls coming from the honrline...then the corps stumbles into a guitar synthesizer accompanying a soloist.I about puked onto my keyboard.

Its probably going to be beat to death this summer(as if it already hasn't) but I suspect some of the corps that are using them this year are going to lose their fan base pretty quick.

Just my opinon.Don't shoot the messenger if you don't like the message.

I will say this: from what I've heard from various staff members of Top 6 corps, drum corps as we know it has changed substantially. Whether we like the changes or not, drum corps this season has turned into a completely new animal. I personally will try my best to pass judgement until AT LEAST finals week, if not for another year or two as inevitably there WILL be a ton of kinks to work out. I think that a lot of people who have been in this activity for a long time (that aren't percussionists) will quite possibly not like what they hear on the field. I honestly don't know if I'll like it or not, but I am very curious to hear how corps use this new technology.

I also think this is a fairly exciting time, in a way. I first learned of drum corps fall of 90, and saw my first show in summer of 1991. I am too young to know how drastically things changed in the 70's when the pit came along and totally changed the sound of drum corps, or when 27, SCV, and Garfield changed the activity visually. IMO the change from single-three valve bugles, or even from G to any key didn't fundamentally change the sound of drum corps. But I can't think of a change this drastic since I've been in the activity, and it's exciting in a way to see such a big change. I know that this stuff has been around since I was in high school in the early 90's, and in winter percussion since WGI's Percussion inception. When I go to a WGI Percussion Regional, it is exciting for me to see how the top ensembles utilize technology in ways I hadn't thought of yet. While I am nervous about what my feelings will be with DCI using electronics, I am excited to witness a huge change in DCI that can totally change the sound of the activity.

I know I'm rambling, but I guess at this point, good or bad, I am interested in the change and excited to see how some of the top innovators and designers of our activity will utilize this technology this summer and beyond.

omg people, can't you just wait until at least the first show. holy crap. What it's one or two weeks into spring training... some corps haven't even moved in yet.

Plus anything from right now will not be the product on the field during a show... corps take A LOT of time balancing things within the pit then to the horns and battery. It's basically a whole season product. Balance and effect will not even be close right now.