Synthesizers in drum corps

No synthesizers can never reproduce the sound of an entire section nor an entire corps. I mean to say that you can support the hornline with the synth at the same time and make the corps seem even louder.

basic synth sounds are horrible no doubt, but if you are willing to spend the money then you can get some pretty decent sounding stuff. Many film scores are produced using synthesizers and they sound pretty good. Unfortunately this trend is seeing a decrease in the demand for real life personal in the studio for recordings.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer no synth but I won't knock it before I hear it.

I prefer no synth but I won't knock it before I hear it.

I wish yall would listen to the clip floating around and then make comments.

its not all that hard to find

I heard it, the audio quality is not good at all so I am not judging until I hear it live and in person.

I heard it, the audio quality is not good at all so I am not judging until I hear it live and in person.

I've looked and can't find it. I'll have to form my opinion after I see whoever live (unless someone points me in the right direction). ;-)

I could create an all-star lineup out of the shows I hated in June but loved by August. Now you're asking me to comment based on camp recordings, from before a corps has even moved in yet? I haven't seen the video yet, nor do I plan on searching for it. I'm going to wait to form my opinion on electronics instruments based on what I see in Lucas Oil Stadium, not from a bootleg taken on Memorial weekend.

Despite whether or not a corps is using synths or not using synths, one thing holds true to either one of those options.......bad writing is bad writng.

Those that know how to use it properly will benefit, those that dont know will not benefit.

I've looked and can't find it. I'll have to form my opinion after I see whoever live (unless someone points me in the right direction). ;-)

Ditto.

However, even listening to a May (or whenever pre-tour rehearsal this clip is), is going to be VERY different from what we see even in June, let alone the final product in August.

No synthesizers can never reproduce the sound of an entire section nor an entire corps. I mean to say that you can support the hornline with the synth at the same time and make the corps seem even louder.

This seems unlikely, as it's difficult enough to get a hornline to blend and balance at a loud volume. . . adding a synthesizer to the mix, in a situation where the performer (the synth player) has more difficulty controlling the way they're blending to the ensemble. . . not to mention the extreme difficulty in tuning to the hornline. . . I don't think it's really practical.

Which raises an important question - I've heard of hornlines tuning to the keyboards (aka marimba, xylo, etc.) before a show to take into account the effects temperature changes have on the tuning of the pit. . . how would a synth player fit into this scheme? Can they tune to the pit? Would they tune to the hornline? I really don't know a lot about keyboards, so excuse my ignorance.

The season has not even started. How can you evaluate the use of something from a preseason video clip? The only way to experience it as it is intended is live, just like drum corps as always been.