OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect to be POW'd!!!!

Is that like getting pwned?

Off hand question. What is the Madison Scouts original Boy Scout troop #?

Off hand question. What is the Madison Scouts original Boy Scout troop #?

I just spoke with my son. He say's the change's and new ending are "Cool" ! He said that they cut a little here added some there ! He said they restaged the guard alot.

Bill

"POW"

Edited by Bill L.

Can't wait to see it!

Check This Out! POW!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07102009/news/...pow__178573.htm

Relampago must have made a clean get a away!

Thank you, sir.

Report on the rehearsal...please?

Hope it was POW-er-ful! :whistle:

Ask and you shall receive....

First, I have to say that it was GREAT to talk to Dann Petersen once again. I had the pleasure of standing next to Dann in the horn arc for two of the years that I marched, and I have to say that I think the corps is in great hands under his leadership.

We walked in to the stadium just as everyone was finishing warm ups for two hours of ensemble in the evening. We didn't have any days like this when I marched...temperatures in the mid 70s....overcast, but no chance of rain. PERFECT rehearsal weather.

First thing I noticed was the hornline. POW!!! This is the first DCI Bb hornline that I can say has ripped my face off... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: These men of Madison can definitely play.

As others have said...there's a ton of notes in the opener. Some nice lush sounds in the ballad-like sections of the show. The new ending is full of POW, but I think (and this is COMPLETELY my opinion only, I didn't talk to Dann or any of the design team about show details) there's still room for the show to grow. For instance, the very end, while loud and exciting, is rather abrupt.

The guard was working out some new staging, but overall I thought the guard brings a whole lot more to this show than many past Madison shows. They're doing a lot of work...and seem, to this brass player's eyes, to be meshing as an ensemble quite nicely. Of course, they didn't have costumes on, and I know that some of us in the DCP community have had issues with those guard costumes. However, the pictures I've seen seem to me to fit the show's theme perfectly. Relampago is a lucho libre wrestler, after all, and the costumes seem like they fit with a lot of the dramatic stuff that the guard is doing.

Roger Carter was working the percussion pretty hard to iron out some battery-to-pit timing issues, especially in some of the new sections. My wife is, generally, not a fan of drum solos. She goes to a drum corps show to be blown away by the brass. However, she and I both really liked the drum solo right before what I suppose would be the closer.

Finally, I suppose I'm now getting to be--at least philosophically--an olde pharte. I don't really like Bb horns, but can understand the switch; I don't really like amplified pits; and I really don't like narration, or singing, or synthesizers, or any of that flashy new stuff. Having said that, I do think that last night was the first time I've heard a drum corps live where the staff successfully blended and balanced all the amplification so that it didn't sound like "HEY! LOOK! WE'RE AMPLIFYING THIS AND WE'RE USING A SYNTHESIZER TO MAKE THAT SOUND." There are some synthesizer-produced heartbeats that I KNOW Roger could produce with 'real' drums...I heard Blue Devils do it often enough, quite nicely, in '94. But, I suppose that's how the game is played now.

The only live drum corps I'll get to see this year, and it was definitely worth the drive from Lincoln. I can't wait to see what my brothers put together over the rest of the season. I'm sure they won't disappoint.