OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

There has been three Executive Directors since then.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been three Executive Directors since then.

I'd heard about that, but why? Why was there some sort of major change after 2005?

Anyway, let's keep talking about 2009...

So what do most people think they need to do differently to bring the scores up? What are the big weaknesses of the show right now?

So what do most people think they need to do differently to bring the scores up? What are the big weaknesses of the show right now?

The drill is VERY dirty right now from the high camera angle. At every halt, the forms were completely unreadable. There looked like there may have been many holes as well, which may be making it worse. Transitions from set to set are very hard to see what is supposed to be happening. I hope thats just the performance and not the writing - because this was pretty much the entire time. If what is coming across right now is what is written, then I dont see this edition of the scouts making it to finals. Colts show is too easy, and troopers seemed to have figured out a lot of things this year as opposed to last year. Right now those two corps are executing much better, especially on the visual side.

I have not seen spirit or crossmen, so can not compare to those groups.

From what I could tell on the webcast, drumming and bugling seems pretty even between troop and madison. Colts show is much easier in both regards.

Marching. If the forms are locked in when they're supposed to be, if 16 individuals in the hornline aren't off their dots in a big block image, if the snare line can move as one unit and not a collection of pieces, they'll have taken care of the single biggest glaring technical weakness in the show. The drill, to my mind, is a step up in writing from Troopers, but the performance of that drill is at a second week of June level, at best

The theme, such as it is, isn't working (with those guard unis, you'd think they were attempting more of a 60's Batman kind of camp - but I don't see many winks or nods out there). But half of the corps out there have themes that aren't working; if they can clean themselves up visually so that they march as well as anyone in the top 5, the show still has the possibility of getting them into Finals.

Edited by mobrien

Why go into a season knowing you're going to have major re-writes at DATR? If they already knew when, and where, why bother learning the first one. They had low scores to start the season, NOW the low scores are justified because they just learned their PLANNED re-writes. Why not just get a solid concept/theme and make minor adjustments as the season goes on. Just sounds like a ton of wasted time cleaning when everyone, including the fans, know when major changes are going to be made.

Has it been only 4 years since the Scouts were beating the Cavaliers? It seems like a lifetime.

If the talent is there, as many suggest, then the blame has to be laid clearly on the current design team and staff. Having top notch designers on board like Sal Salas, Michael Cesario, Pete Weber, Lee Beddis, Colin McNutt, Scott Borema, Mark Metzger, etc, etc, etc, ......makes a big difference in the quality of the designed product. I know that's a "Captain Obvious" statement, but there are some hard headed traditionalist who just don't get it.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

Scouts are doing better than last year and have more room to grow. Here's a comparison of DATR 2008 with 2009

2008 2009

Total: 73.475 74.550

GEvis: 14.6 14.9

GEmus: 14.4 15.1

VisPerf: 15.5 15.1

VisEns: 14.7 14.8

Guard: 13.1 13.7

Brass: 15.1 15.5

EnsMus: 15.5 14.9

Per: 15.05 15.1

Improvement in all areas except visual performance and ensemble music. That's because they have a more difficult show. Those number will improve. There are 4 weeks to go.

If the talent is there, as many suggest, then the blame has to be laid clearly on the current design team and staff. Having top notch designers on board like Sal Salas, Michael Cesario, Pete Weber, Lee Beddis, Colin McNutt, Scott Borema, Mark Metzger, etc, etc, etc, ......makes a big difference in the quality of the designed product. I know that's a "Captain Obvious" statement, but there are some hard headed traditionalist who just don't get it.

*sigh*

beat_deadhorse.gif