OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

Just a reminder to everyone.

The schedule for tonight on dci.org is shown as Eastern Time so the Scouts are on at 5:40 Madison time (not 6:40).

I remember a few people on here last year saying they thought Indiana was in the Central time zone and they

ended up missing 3 or 4 corps.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally an alum who admits to the 'elitist attitude'. There is no question in my mind that the Scouts are an amazing, elite organization, too bad there isn't a little modesty in the way you portray your self-confidence. Whether you were quoting me, or my brother, acn, your little childish meltdown was offensive to me.

Ah.......Historically, Scouts=Swagger, Swagger=Confidence.......and Confidence is everything to the Madison Scout!

This "modesty" clap trap is nothing more then todays PC code that's permeated our society to neuter males and if successful, would turn the Scouts into Geldings. Modesty is something a Scout exhibits when he's accepting the praises and support from the masses. But the rest of the day, he's a brother, a leader, a performer and a warrior.....A lot of passion here, but modesty? Nah, leave that for someone else!

Years ago after a particular show in which an East Coast fan had just soiled himself after being emotionally bombarded by the Madison Scouts, turned to his friend and said, "see those guys leaving the field??.......they're not conceded, no, they're convinced"!..........this guy made sure to tell me this after the show as he was weeping with joy.......that's when I became "modest".

Swagger is a key ingredient to Madison's success and MO.

Lets stop the insanity with confused concepts. Without confidence, your left with Madison Scouts lite.

And I don't like MS lite.......do you?

Edited by Mad75

Ah.......Historically, Scouts=Swagger, Swagger=Confidence.......and Confidence is everything to the Madison Scout!

Swagger is a key ingredient to Madison's success and MO.

Lets stop the insanity with confused concepts. Without confidence, your left with Madison Scouts lite.

And I don't like MS lite.......do you?

agreed - MS lite would not be good. I guess, I like the way you explain it a bit more than the insult way Ken expresses his.

1995 Madison Scouts in Time magazine's Drum Corps Top 10

Humble it is not, but it's hard to dispute the accuracy of the Madison Scouts' 1995 show title, "A Drum Corps Fan's Dream" — at least judging by the reaction of the crowd. At times messy and chaotic, this ode to formation drumming is relentlessly loud, with wailing trumpets and snare drum shots dominating the entire show. Designed to emulate a Spanish bullfight, the performers' energy is intended to whip a crowd into a frenzy worthy of a matador. While the Madison Scouts only placed 4th in 1995, the show's screaming finale has become a DCI classic.

Nice pic <click>

So where do the Scouts go from here? They're going to miss finals again, probably placing 15th. The Corps is going backwards. A Corps like Madison, who is one of the most storied Corps in the history of the activity, can only survivie so many missed finals.

Madison needs to do what BD did this year...return to its roots. Design a show that is full of melody & tradition.

No more original music, which does nothing than stroke the ego of the composer.

I predict another uniform change and many staff changes.

I've never marched anywhere, but I have opinions so I'll throw them out there. Sorry if this sounds dickish.

So where do the Scouts go from here? They're going to miss finals again, probably placing 15th. The Corps is going backwards. A Corps like Madison, who is one of the most storied Corps in the history of the activity, can only survivie so many missed finals.

Madison needs to do what BD did this year...return to its roots. Design a show that is full of melody & tradition.

No more original music, which does nothing than stroke the ego of the composer.

I predict another uniform change and many staff changes.

meh. To be honest I'd be happy if they got away from Latin or 'dark' music for at least one year. 1991, 1992, and 2001 come to mind. Jazz!

I'd also rather them stick with the current uniforms, especially from a financial perspective. We need some continuity for a change!

Staff changes, I wouldn't mind, especially in the visual and show design department. I know Romiro Barrera had a nice run with BD, but I don't like how he's fitting into Madison's design department. I'm not a big fan of Ken Karlin's drill either. The 08 show was good, but I didn't like the direction it was leading the show design. Vince Oliver seems solid enough for me, though I'd rather have him arrange stuff than have original compositions.

I think the percussion is fine and just hit a snag this year. Roger and his staff seems like a great base to work with. Colorguard seems a good step in the right direction (but I know next to nothing about colorguard).

It's 2AM, so excuse me for going into rant mode...

[rant]

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE DON'T MAKE SYNTHS SO IMPORTANT IN THE SHOW NEXT YEAR!!! We DON'T NEED a SINGLE MEMBER ON THE SYNTH THE WHOLE TIME!! TUBAS ARE FINE WITHOUT THE EXTRA BASS!!!

....AND NOOOOOOOOOOO NARRATION!!!!![/rant]

Now that I've gotten that out of the way....

---------

GO SCOUTS!!! TAKE OUT ACADEMY!!

POW

Hello Scout alums...

My name is Michael.. I live in LaCrosse, and am a Blue Star alum.

I want you and your organization to know that I enjoyed your

show this year, and even tho there may be some disagreement

between you brothers, I want you to know that when I marched in

the early 80's, I thought you guys were the greatest !!

It's 2009, and the corps I marched in in 1982 has turned itself around

after many many years....

I worked/volunteered many many hours of working bingo.. working the

Oktoberfest stand the corps has here in LaCrosse... (you all should come

on up.. it's a great 9 days here in town !!!!)

I saw my corps go from a cadet corps, to Div 3, then 2 and now Div 1.

PLEASE do not let your great organization turn down a dark road. Do whatever

you have to do to help out the corps.... You may think that the darkest hour

is apon you, but use this to fester the fuel you all have, and get 2010 back to

where you all want.

I am a fan... and will always be one.

Sincerely

Michael Ammerman

LaCrosse Blue Stars alum 1982