What Jr. Corps made drum corps popular?

I see rifles

02_13_2006_27ice.jpg

Me too. AAG didn't have rifles and contras since 1973. They had tours in Europe 1972 (Summer Olympics), 1973, 1974 and 1977 (a 10 week wonderful drum corps tour of 13 Countries that I had the pleasure of being part of :)

• Like 1

I see rifles

02_13_2006_27ice.jpg

They were Rifles... I can also see my feet :tongue: (5th tenor from left)

• Like 1

They were Rifles... I can also see my feet :tongue: (5th tenor from left)

Fanfare: The 27th Lancers Olympic experience By Michael Boo | boomike@dci.org Friday February 24, 2006 - 8:35 AM

Barbara (then know as "Bunny") Hopkins marched in 27th Lancers' color guard from 1976 through 1980 and participated in the corps' famed presentations at the 1980 Winter Olympics opening and closing ceremonies in Lake Placid, N.Y. Considering the current Winter Olympics are wrapping up, she thought this would be a good time to reflect on those special moments from 26 years ago.

(Page 1, para. 2) In those days, we got together twice a week throughout the winter for regular rehearsal, so putting together a plan for the Olympics was very doable. We also had enough time to contact the out-of-state members and recruit a few alumni for the cause, including legendary drum corps and winter guard judge Mary Berkley. We flag line people had to teach the rifle line the art of flag handling, ("weapons" weren't allowed in the arena), but they picked it up quickly, pleasing our instructor Peggy Twiggs, who was just inducted into the DCI Hall of Fame back in January.

Edited by Navillus WP

Fanfare: The 27th Lancers Olympic experience By Michael Boo | boomike@dci.org Friday February 24, 2006 - 8:35 AM

Barbara (then know as "Bunny") Hopkins marched in 27th Lancers' color guard from 1976 through 1980 and participated in the corps' famed presentations at the 1980 Winter Olympics opening and closing ceremonies in Lake Placid, N.Y. Considering the current Winter Olympics are wrapping up, she thought this would be a good time to reflect on those special moments from 26 years ago.

(Page 1, para. 2) In those days, we got together twice a week throughout the winter for regular rehearsal, so putting together a plan for the Olympics was very doable. We also had enough time to contact the out-of-state members and recruit a few alumni for the cause, including legendary drum corps and winter guard judge Mary Berkley. We flag line people had to teach the rifle line the art of flag handling, ("weapons" weren't allowed in the arena), but they picked it up quickly, pleasing our instructor Peggy Twiggs, who was just inducted into the DCI Hall of Fame back in January.

Sully......photos don't lie - neither did Bunny Hopkins. Rifles were not allowed at the opening ceremonies - which were held outdoors. Obviously rifles were allowed at the closing ceremony which was held indoors. Ironically, that piece written by Michael Boo needed some additional verification.

Edited by LancerLegend
  • Like 1

Sully......photos don't lie - neither did Bunny Hopkins. Rifles were not allowed at the opening ceremonies - which were held outdoors. Obviously rifles were allowed at the closing ceremony which was held indoors. Ironically, that piece written by Michael Boo needed some additional verification.

Gotcha, Jim. Rifles NOT ALLOWED in Opening Ceremony. YES ALLOWED in closing ceremony.

• Like 1

Gotcha, Jim. Rifles NOT ALLOWED in Opening Ceremony. YES ALLOWED in closing ceremony.

See........I know weapons when I see one........and my shoes were spit shined ( might have been a little frozen) :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To address the question rather than going out on all these tangents (all interesting - alot of knowledge out there), I think the closer answer is the mid-1940s St Vincent's and Holy Name Cadets.

These Corps regularly filled 25,000 seat Roosevelt Stadium. Troopers didn't put 5,000 people in the stands when they came to Jersey in 66 so they hadn't popularized DC in the heart of the activity the way Vinnies and HNC did. They were selling out stadiums long before the Troopers existed. Don't forget that when the Troopers were big, the VFW and AL Championships were still part of their annual conventions and the Troopers didn't put any more people in the stadiums than the popularity of the Jersey Corps did.

If the Troopers were the first Corps to make the activity popular for the younger respondents and friends, I can understand your point of view. No direspect intended. Just wanted to share my knowledge and viewpoint,

Kevin Doherty (kdoh)

To address the question rather than going out on all these tangents (all interesting - alot of knowledge out there), I think the closer answer is the mid-1940s St Vincent's and Holy Name Cadets.

These Corps regularly filled 25,000 seat Roosevelt Stadium. Troopers didn't put 5,000 people in the stands when they came to Jersey in 66 so they hadn't popularized DC in the heart of the activity the way Vinnies and HNC did. They were selling out stadiums long before the Troopers existed. Don't forget that when the Troopers were big, the VFW and AL Championships were still part of their annual conventions and the Troopers didn't put any more people in the stadiums than the popularity of the Jersey Corps did.

If the Troopers were the first Corps to make the activity popular for the younger respondents and friends, I can understand your point of view. No direspect intended. Just wanted to share my knowledge and viewpoint,

Kevin Doherty (kdoh)

You make a good point but you must also realize that the way the NJ corps were able to fill those stands was because the activity throughout the Tri-State was so popular. Friends and family from all over would show up in droves (also their cars!) My friends and I would take the train to Roosevelt from NY. BTW, you left out Blessed Sacrament, St. Lucy's, Our Lady Of Loretto, The Queensmen, Selden and other big names of the early sixties. They had a little to do with the popularity here in the East.

• 1 year later...

The answer could come from any decade really BUT what corps brought drum corps into the public eye and made the activity popular? I would have to say that possibly Troopers or Santa Clara but to go back further even...there has got to be a corps or two.

The Racine Legion (Boys of 76) and the Racine Scouts were at the forefront of making drum corps a national activity.

The Legion won 3 or 4 Legion championships in the 1920s and introduced valved bugles to competition. Here is part of an article from the Racine Journal Times from August 29, 1941:

Joseph Strdlick, president of the Cudworth post. Sons of the American Legion drum corps, state champions in 1936, 1939 and 1940, wrote the following in accepting an invitation to march and play in Racine: ”We are conducting a drum corps rehearsal Friday night and ordinarily all invitations for corps appearances are held up until presented to the corps, but I feel so confident that our corps will accept that I am now typing the reply.

We, like all Legion music outfits all over the United States, have been inspired in our drum corps development by your Racine drum corps that has pioneered and led the way that has made possible the present Legion drum corps competition, which is the outstanding show that thrills thousands of persons annually and sold the public on the American Legion.

I am convinced that the present prestige the American Legion holds in the minds of the public is directly due to the many, many fine and splendid Legion musical units that are developed down through the years because of the inspiration your splendid Racine drum corps gave to every Legion post in the early days of Legion national convention parades and competition.

When I feel that we owe you men in Racine this kind of a compliment I also feel that we have got to accept your invitation to appear in your parade on Saturday, Sept. 13, and, therefore, I am taking this liberty of writing in advance and informing you that we will march. Thanks for the invitation."

The Racine Scouts were nationally known, almost a phenomenon, in the 1930s. They performed in Washington, New York, Los Angeles, and were undefeated for years. They won the national Chicagoland Music Festival several times in the 30s, where they performed before 100,000 people. After seeing the Racine Scouts, people went home and formed their own corps, corps such as the Kilties, Madison Scouts and Cavaliers.

Without question, the Racine Boys of 76 and the Racine Scouts played a key role in making drum corps a national activity. Newspaper accounts were calling Racine the drum corps capital by the 1940s.

Edited by alankarls

I MARCHED WITH THE MADISON SCOUTS FROM "63" - "67". THE BEST TIMES OF MY LIFE.

I LOST MY LAST THREE YEARS OF ELEGIBILTY TO GO TO WAR.

WHEN I CAME HOME IN "71" I DROVE EQUIPMENT TRUCK FOR MANY YEARS.

MY KIDS WERE RAISED ON D.C. MY SON MARCHED "88" AND "89". THE KIDS THOUGHT MOM & DAD WORKED FOR THE CARNIVAL - DAVE KAMPSHIRE CALL THESE CARNEY KIDS.

IN 1966 MADISON CRASHED THE DREAM AT ROOSEVELDT STADIUM - WE INVITED OURSELVES TO THE PARTY.

WHAT FUN - I.C. REVERIES SIT DOWN STRIKE ON THE STARTING LINE - FANS THROWING BEER BOTTLES OUT OF THE SEATS.

THOSE WERE THE HAYDAYS OF DRUM CORPS - WHAT WAS A LOCAL YOUTH ACTIVITY IS NOW A BUISINESS TO CREATE MUSIC MAJORS AND PERFORMERS FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS.

SAD! MADISON DOESN'T HAVE A SINGLE MADISON KID MARCHING IN THE CORPS AND HASN'T FOR SEVERAL YEARS. SO SAD!

I WAS DIRECTED TO THIS SITE BY A CORPS BROTHER THAT MARCHED WITH MY SON. I TOLD HIM HE HAD SENT ME TO A NURSING RUN BY GEORGE BONFIGGLIO AND THE THREE CATHOLIC PRIESTS FROM THE HOLY NAME CADETS, ST. VINNIES AND BLESSED SAC.

JOHN A. HILLEBRANDT

BEEBES FAVORITE SON