New study: corps & band => sports injuries

Hell, has anyone died doing drum corps? Not that I know of.

Actually, yes. There was a corps from Skokie IL I believe that lost quite a few members back in the late 60's. Just recently, a Kiltie died while performing at DCA prelims.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, yes. There was a corps from Skokie IL I believe that lost quite a few members back in the late 60's. Just recently, a Kiltie died while performing at DCA prelims.

What a way to go out eh?

This kinda study is exactly why I wrote the pre/off season workout book that a few corps use, including the ones I currently work for. I just don't have my doctorate and publish a lot of studies. Glad someone from the ACSM finally did!!!

Edited by ColtContra

I just don't have my doctorate and publish a lot of studies.

Well?

:blink:

You know, something else to consider regarding the band/drum corps vs football argument: Have you ever timed the actual amount of play in a 60 minute football game? A 10 minute band/drum corps show has more action.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

You know, something else to consider regarding the band/drum corps vs football argument: Have you ever timed the actual amount of play in a 60 minute football game? A 10 minute band/drum corps show has more action.

Sustained exertion, maybe. Burst exertion and contact? Not even close.

Seriously, not even close.

I believe it. Totally.

Well?

:blink:

Garry in Vegas

To be more specific, how much time does a single player actually spend on the field? I would guess that less than 10 percent of the team spends more than 15 minutes on field during a game.

To be more specific, how much time does a single player actually spend on the field? I would guess that less than 10 percent of the team spends more than 15 minutes on field during a game.

True, but from what I've seen before (both professional and some high schools), those 15 minutes can get kinda brutal. For example; look at Tom Brady, quarterback for the Patriots. He got hurt within like the first five minutes of their first game in the 2008-2009 season.