Hosting a corps this summer!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, I just love the name of your school and mascot! :blink:

In the photo, is that all the members of the band? I know you said you were a small AA school. That would be really cool if this opportunity could encourage at least one of them to march DCI. Has your school ever had someone in DCI?

You'll have to keep us posted on how things go as you continue to plan and which corps you get and how things go when they stay with you.

I have to say, I just love the name of your school and mascot! :tongue:

In the photo, is that all the members of the band? I know you said you were a small AA school. That would be really cool if this opportunity could encourage at least one of them to march DCI. Has your school ever had someone in DCI?

You'll have to keep us posted on how things go as you continue to plan and which corps you get and how things go when they stay with you.

The photo on the front of the page was just the kids that made all county band. You can get a better indication of how big the band is in the photo gallery. You can even see me holding my snare sticks at a football game wearing my Phantom Regiment bowling shirt!!!!!! (Photo of the bass drummers with me in the background holding snare sticks). I cannot think of any kids that have went on to marched DCI in the recent years mainly because of where the band has been before the current band director took over. Last year was the first time they have been to competitions for about 5 or 6 years since the previous band director didn't want to do them. (Shameless plug for the drum line: A few seond place finishes finishing up with a huge 1st place percussion at the last and largest band competition we did that year, beating out some schools who beat us earlier in the year!!!!)

I myself marched half a summer in 1993 with Dutch Boy in the pit and keep trying to explain to them how special and fun it is, but it's hard to convey something like that with just words. Hopefully this will let them see what it's like and they can appreciate it more. We have had a few express interest in going to audition for Southwind next year when they field a corps again though! The director actually wrote drill for me and the band director back when we were in college at Marshall University so we have a little insider info and contacts there. :blink:

One other thing, do the corps' usually mind if people take non-flash photos? I can understand them not wanting video shot but would like to get some photos if possible as a sort of scrapbook.

Edited by Wulfegang

Great advice above. One more mom tip- bathrooms well stocked with toilet paper and paper towels are greatly appreciated. A plunger came in handy both summers. They can only clean up after themselves if they have what they need to do it like access to brooms, sweepers for the gym floor, mops and again a plunger! Maintenance closets are often locked up tight for good reasons.

The organization is a well oiled machine on a mission. These people are professionals and the members are well trained. It is good advice to not get in their way or get your feelings hurt when they carry on without your help. Be assured they will appreciate everything you can do even if you can't give them money or a meal! Small things can often matter the most. A piece of fruit per person or baggies of home baked goods. Again check with the tour director on these things. They appreciate hot water and good showers and access to school facilities as much as meals and donations. It is all important to them in their circumstances.

What I would suggest would be if the school admins. have any special rules (such as where member, staff, etc. can and can't go, what can can't be used, stuff like that), make sure you find out in advance, and then make sure the correct people with the drum corps know these rules.

Just as a side story; last time the championships were in Boston in the '90s (I think '94, but I was like 5 then and don't really remember the exact year), the Cadets stayed at my middle school as their permanent housing site, the after they left, the field they used, let's just say, was not as good as when they arrived. The grass was worn out and stuff like that. Again I was 5 then and don't really know what the field was like before and after they were there, but that's just what my mother has told me.

Not saying anything bad about members of the Cadets or anything, that could have happened to any corps, but basically make sure the drum corps staying at your school knows the rules they should know while staying there. The only other thing I would say you can do (which basically already has been said) is if they (support staff, etc.) do need help with anything, just 1.)ask around every so often, and 2.) make sure they know they can ask you for any help if and when it's needed.

The first tip I can think of:

Don't let the kids from your school go anywhere near the sleeping areas for the corps, drivers, or volunteers. I can't tell you how many times I've seen band kids come into the band room, flip on the lights, and start beating on drums while corps drivers are trying to sleep. If any of the people from the corps will be sleeping in the school's weight room, talk to the athletic director and make sure the room will be off limits to the football team for that day. If not, find another room. I've had football players literally step right over me in my sleeping bag to start throwing weights around. Also, lots of thefts happen when the host school doesn't keep their kids away from the sleeping areas.

As someone who drives for a corps during the summer, I cannot stress how important the above is. The safety of the corps, its equipment, its food, etc. is so dependent on the expertise and condition of its drivers. If they get their sleep interrupted, it is really hard for them to perform their job effectively. If you can find a room as far from the normal corps activities, as well as any school activities, that is dark and cool and quiet, it will really help the drivers get the sleep they need. And make sure EVERYONE knows that that area is off limits, from the Principal to the janitors to the outside contractors doing work on the school.

Great thread, and congratulations! Which town?

We are in a small town called (no laughing because we have heard every joke possible) Poca, WV! Home of the Poca Dots!!!!! Yes......that really is the school name and mascot. A giant "Dot".....

Isn't that where Peg and Al Bundy went to HS? I seem to remember that on an episode of Married With Children. lol

When marching this summer one school took us to the footballs teams ice machine and filled everyones jugs with ice. That was one of my favorite days.

My wife was the Tour Manager at SW for 5 years. A few things she always wanted to know right when we got there:

Where the water and electrical hookups are for the cook trailer.

Where the gym is (as fast as possible so the members can get in and hit the rack)

Where staff, driver, and vollunteer sleeping will be. Try to put the drivers as far away from everything as humanly possible. On an interior wall, cool, dark, quiet.

Where the rehearsal fields are and how many you have access to. Can the corps use the stadium for rehearsal. Make sure you check with your AD or admins. Sometimes they can get a little touchy about stadium usage.

Where corps vehicles be parked.

What the showers facilities are like.

Anything else is extra stuff. Try to keep the school as secure as possible from "outsiders". Where the nearest gas station with desiel is at. Nearby Sam's Club. Nearby bar (for the staff) if their going to be there more than one night=).

Have fun with it. Most importantly, stay out of the way. Be kind, offer help, but stay out of the way. These people know what they need and are very efficient. Don't bed surprised if someone is a little short with you when they roll into your school at 3:30am after a 6 hour ride. Or worse, 9am after a 10 hour ride.

Lots of good suggestions here, but the best thing might be to simply call the tour director/manager for the corps and let them know you'd like to make things as pleasant as possible. Then ask what would be most helpful.

G

ps. Many corps send a housing information packet to their hosts to let them know what they need/expect/appreciate/etc.

Edited by GSNewell