Hosting a corps this summer!

As someone who hosted a group for about 10 days in 2007, I'd offer this piece of information: Often, the school administration will work in their offices during the day. Folks in WV have a lot of the same cultural principles as those in Eastern KY and they may object to how people in drum corps dress during rehearsal. It may be in your best interest to prepare the administration about the standards of dress for corps members and maybe discuss with the corps administration the how the school wants the corps members to dress. For example, some corps make their membership wear a shirt at meal times and any time they are in close proximity to the school building.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who hosted a group for about 10 days in 2007, I'd offer this piece of information: Often, the school administration will work in their offices during the day. Folks in WV have a lot of the same cultural principles as those in Eastern KY and they may object to how people in drum corps dress during rehearsal. It may be in your best interest to prepare the administration about the standards of dress for corps members and maybe discuss with the corps administration the how the school wants the corps members to dress. For example, some corps make their membership wear a shirt at meal times and any time they are in close proximity to the school building.

That is an excellent point to bring up. Most corps have policies about wearing shirts while there is an audience or at clinics. Even still some communities may be shocked by how little the corps wears in general. If the community is prepared then it might not be a huge thing for them.

Yes, this is a good point. Last year on tour, we (the corps I marched with) stayed in a Lutheran school in Ohio, I think, and we couldn't not wear shirts while even being on the school grounds. Some of the members did complain a little at first, but there were no problems.

Yes, this is a good point. Last year on tour, we (the corps I marched with) stayed in a Lutheran school in Ohio, I think, and we couldn't not wear shirts while even being on the school grounds. Some of the members did complain a little at first, but there were no problems.

Did they allow you to blink? :sad:

Guess those showers were kind of ineffective....

Edited by noneofyourbusiness

• 4 weeks later...

I forgot about this thread! So what corps is staying there, and when is it happening?

I just wanted to add a few things my daughter always talks about when she goes on tour that she appreciates:

As stated before, an ice machine that the corps can use.

A hot shower and facets with warm water - many times the schools have turned off the hot water for the summer.

A practice field where the grass has been mowed...The corps have their own paint crew and put down their own markers but...Some schools maintain their fields year-round, others the fields get a little on the high side. I know she had mentioned the difficulties adjusting to weather changes and mosquitoes the size of locust, then add a hard field to guide and march on.

Air-conditioning in places where the climate is a tad warm in summer....again being a school teacher myself, I understand that schools like to save energy in the summer, but after rehearsing 12 hours in the hot sun it is nice to sit in a cool area.

Hope that helps.

Edited by txorchdork013

I forgot about this thread! So what corps is staying there, and when is it happening?

I'm guessing it is the July 27th show at Charleston, WV. Here is the show line-up, so it would be one of these corps:

Phantom Regiment - Rockford, IL

Holy Name Cadets - Allentown, PA

Santa Clara Vanguard - Santa Clara, CA

Troopers - Casper, WY

The Academy - Tempe, AZ

Jersey Surf - Camden County, NJ

Cascades - Seattle, WA

Everyone loves water ice! Especially after a hot day of rehearsal... (some people call it polish ice or italian ice)

-Nice Thread!

P.S. It's a great treat for the corps, and no one will have thirty buckets of it in their freezers that they need to get rid of, which is the risk already stated with ice cream.