Who Could Break Into Finals This Year?

Who Has it in 2009?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. What Corps That Was Not In Finals Last Year Has The Best Shot At Making Finals This Year?

• Academy
    • Cascades
    • Colts
    • Crossmen
    • Jersey Surf
    • Mandarins
    • Pacific Crest
    • Pioneer
    • Spirit
    • Troopers
    • None - Top 12 Will Be The Same As 2008

After seeing Spirit's run last night, I voted for Spirit. They didn't do the whole show, but what they had was very exciting. Wish I was 21 again. Like they said they wanted to do, the show reminds me of old Spirit in that it is exciting and not the old Glassmen kind of stuff they were doing the past few years. The early winter anti Kansas people will be shocked. Look for an all brass moment in the Ballad. I almost pooped myself. All I could think was "this is Spirit?" The drums are smokin crazy good and the horns have not sounded like this since their last mid 90s successes. You can tell new staff members are there in that almost everything said from the box was like super efficient and professional. Recent Spirit ensemble rehearsals I have seen drug ### and seemed to be unfocused. Don't know what the rest of the competition will be like, but this is great stuff from the "new" old Baby Blue.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After seeing Spirit's run last night, I voted for Spirit. They didn't do the whole show, but what they had was very exciting. Wish I was 21 again. Like they said they wanted to do, the show reminds me of old Spirit in that it is exciting and not the old Glassmen kind of stuff they were doing the past few years. The early winter anti Kansas people will be shocked. Look for an all brass moment in the Ballad. I almost pooped myself. All I could think was "this is Spirit?" The drums are smokin crazy good and the horns have not sounded like this since their last mid 90s successes. You can tell new staff members are there in that almost everything said from the box was like super efficient and professional. Recent Spirit ensemble rehearsals I have seen drug ### and seemed to be unfocused. Don't know what the rest of the competition will be like, but this is great stuff from the "new" old Baby Blue.

I've heard they resemble Madison '95-'96 in some ways. What do you think?

I Voted for Spirit....

I think The Vehicle that Spirit is using this year was a very bold and wise move for the team in baby blue....

Kansas suits them well.... EVERYONE wants / wanted Spirit to look for an identity and find some kind of niche that they can please both the audience and the judges.

Spirit found it.

I honestly think Spirit will turn heads this year and scare the last 3 corps in the top 12. they are coming out strong and have a great product and i think it is what spirit needs.

I am just going to go out on a limb and say that there is a few corps in the top 12 that probably wont preform on saturday night due to the level of competitiveness that is coming out of every single corps this year.

Lucas Oil Stadium is going to be the center of the action on August 6. All 22 Corps will be there to battle it out and who will walk away one of the 17 that will advance. it is in the air to say.

But i will be willing to put money on it that DCI 2009 will be the most competitive year and most entertaining since 2000. Can Anyone say Repeat of 2000. There WILL BE A TIE SOMEWHERE.....

I have actually heard from a recent age out of Spirit that talked with his buddies that are still marching that there are about 12 holes in the hornline with only 5 tubas as of right now. BEFORE the rumor mill gets started, is there any truth to this? I surely hope not. Again, I am not trying to start a rumor. I am clearly just trying to find out more information about the Baby Blue! :)

I've heard they resemble Madison '95-'96 in some ways. What do you think?

Part of the closer resembles Madison in that it has a latin feel. I only heard it when they arced it up.

Other than that, the show has a hard edge to hit that I guess you could say resembles Madison in its hey day cause it is very exciting, but with more diverse musical drum stuff. The ballad is really effective, musically and visually. It is pretty but also has some attitude. The variety from it and the opener works great and the drill fits "Dust" really well. They will definately be an encore concert favorite corps. Drum set player is wicked.

I have actually heard from a recent age out of Spirit that talked with his buddies that are still marching that there are about 12 holes in the hornline with only 5 tubas as of right now. BEFORE the rumor mill gets started, is there any truth to this? I surely hope not. Again, I am not trying to start a rumor. I am clearly just trying to find out more information about the Baby Blue! :)

I did see holes but not 12, maybe 6. I was told there were still high schoolers out and I saw four or five brass on the side lines filling out dot books. Some of those were in and out of drill as if they had only been there a few days and were playing catch up. If they do have holes on the road, I would think that with this show, they would get bunch of interest. The corps seems to be having a blast with the show.

They did have a good bit of holes and it worried me too! I like Spirit, I'm not sure if they'll make top twelve, we'll see in August. I liked the concept of their show and they definitely have a few moments in their show that remind me of the Old Baby Blue. :thumbdown: So best of luck to them. I haven't seen much from Crossmen so I have no opinion on if they have a great chance of being a finalist. I've only gotten to see the Colts Fan Network videos and I definitely like what I see, plus they got to play for Ditka, awesome! And Madison, well...I want Madison to return to their elite status in the top 8, probably won't happen this year but I hope in a few years they make their comeback.

Okay, enough of my thoughts for now, The days until DCI starts are getting smaller!!! I can't wait!

I'd really honestly love to say Troopers ideally, but realistically I think it's going to be Crossmen. I don't know who will drop down, but I have a feeling the lineup is going to change.