An email I got from YEA

I really can't see any positive reason for posting that letter on here. The OP had to know that the majority of the reactions would be "awful, immature, unprofessional, burn him at the stake!!!!" Are some of those responses justified? Sure, but that is why they quickly edited that original version. I saw the announcement for the position on Hop's blog and it did not have the questionable paragraph, so they no doubt knew they shot from the hip too quickly, then thought better of it and fixed it.

Who among us has NOT done that in these days of instant electronic communication? Seriously.

Does it make it right? Of course not, but for all the things YEA! does very well, press releases has never been one of them. They are more often than not poorly written and a bit too oddly personal, with more opinion than information. It would be awesome to hold them to a corporate gold standard of professional communication, but knowing they are a non-profit that is always scraping for funds, and is led by a volatile personality, that seems a bit silly. Some of the other corps do this better. Some don't. Cut them some slack and give them credit for fixing it quickly.

It sounds like this employee did bolt with little notice, right at their busiest time of the year, when keeping track of every nickel is super important, so I can imagine that set off panic and stress reactions. If that caused a brief bit of poor judgement, well it happens, and they have seemed to put effort toward correcting the situation.

I remember thinking the same thing a few weeks back when I first saw this. I was very surprised to see dirty laundry listed in a public message...I thought it must've been an inter-office memo or something that just didn't get edited when published publically.

That's weird. I received an email similar to that but it did not say why they needed a new bookeeper. It only said they were in need of one. I am curious as to why or how this could happen. That is pretty tacky especially coming from an organization like YEA. I am a little skeptical though as to how genuine this email actually is since the OP felt the need to post it onto DCP.

Be as skeptical as you want. It's a matter of public record. I have the original, too, and I talked to a former Cadets member about it after being so surprised when I saw it.

I really think it was just an editing mistake. It happens. Arguing or being "skeptical" about it in public doesn't do anything except generate more discussion about it, though.

That's a pretty tacky and immature email.

Strange resemblance to Hoppy's dialogue in the Cadet's shows these past couple years.

jeez...

so this is a news flash: George Hopkins is capable of being frustrated and airing his displeasure.

WOW...

I'm shocked....

was it wrong? yes

was it corrected? yes

he who is without sin etc.......

we're a week away from a new season - let this go...

Seems like YEA needs a bookkeeper and a publicist.

Not to mention a human resources professional... :tongue:

(Looks like someone hit the "send" button before taking a break to clear their head and edit for content. Wouldn't think about it too much; it happens.)

Edited by mobrien

....BUT, there is no accounting for the logic and action of a 25 year old.

What? Does YEA produce immature 25 yo's??

Some people have conquered the world by then....

It was an unprofessional email. Absolutely.

As a fan, I am delighted I didn't have to hear the contents of the email read with a nasal voice during their show and drowning out their hornline.

My take is simple: don't want to work for them, but can't wait to hear/see this year's show.

Cheers!

Karen

jeez...

so this is a news flash: George Hopkins is capable of being frustrated and airing his displeasure.

WOW...

I'm shocked....

was it wrong? yes

was it corrected? yes

he who is without sin etc.......

we're a week away from a new season - let this go...

While he was quoted, I don't think that Hop was the author of the email....if I remember right, the email was sent from the CFO of YEA, Marie.

I do not blame the OP for posting this. Sombody would have anyway. We aired dirty laundry when PR asked for more money, when the Troop went belly up for a year, and when your mom did whatever.......that is just the way we are.

My response to the email when i received it was "I give you a big, fat, 2007 quarter-finals-marching-off-the-field-cause-there-were-no-hash-marks BOOOOOOO for calling out the name of the person who quit in a mass email. VERY unprofessional. Good luck filling the position" :tongue:

Sure my grammar sucks. But I am not asking the Cadets for donations every year.

And I personally have a lot of respect for YEA.

I am not saying they should be held to the same standard as AIG or GM is being held to now, but with that email being sent to donors who are tightening their bands on their discretionary income---there has to be SOME form of restraint before this email was sent out.

Maybe they could hire that working professional Sara, that starred in the 2008 show..... she seems to be on top of it all and I think she is actually retired from her previous job......

Cut the OP some slack. He was surprised to get the email and wanted feedback. No harm in that I don't think. I would have been pretty confused by it as well. THe email looks to be something whipped up too quickly. Slamming the last candidate is not professional even if they left under poor reasons.

Sounds like they are desperate for someone to fill the spot but perhaps they should be more cautious of how an email is sent out or posted.

I didn't see a cover sheet with that TPS report either....might want to check that memo again. :tongue: