An email I got from YEA

In Canada to publicly address reasons why an individual was either fired or quit is illegal. Privacy and confidentialality act.

Ahh. Great! When YEA moves to Canada, let me know.

I am amazed and appalled that the DCP moderators have allowed this thread to continue this long. The first qualification for anything to be on a discussion board is that there needs to be something to discuss. THERE IS NOTHING TO DISCUSS HERE!!!

What do we know of the facts:

1. SOMEONE (we don’t know who for certain) wrote an email that, unfortunately, reflected his/her frustration with a situation.

2. This email was released to some individuals via email.

3. Someone noticed that the contents were not appropriate and halted further distribution of the email.

4. A revised, and more appropriate, version of the email was then fully distributed and posted on the YEA site.

5. More than likely, the “someone” who originally wrote the email (and potentially whoever initially allowed it to be released) was reprimanded.

6. The OP expected that someone at The Cadets take time out from the insane schedule of spring training (not to mention everything else they are trying to accomplish at this time of the year) to send him a personal apology for this inappropriate email when the only person who MIGHT deserve an apology (again, we don’t know the full story) is the former bookkeeper.

For some reason, the moderators on DCP think this bucket of less than half the facts is worthy of discussion. I do not and feel that this post should be closed immediately.

This has turned into nothing better than trash journalism.

Ahh. Great! When YEA moves to Canada, let me know.

Doesn't matter. Privacy and confidentiality is an American law as well! What was posted is against privacy and confidentiality laws.

Doesn't matter. Privacy and confidentiality is an American law as well! What was posted is against privacy and confidentiality laws.

Citings, please? :tongue:

So, I read this whole thread, and there's two things I just really don't get:

Wrong. Though I am certain my account of YOUR behavior accurately renders events, your behavior is anything but right. If you truly believe it was a mistake to publish that information, what possessed you to publish that information? Climb down from the holier-than-thou pulpit. If they're in the gutter, you're there too.

So, waitaminute here. You're saying that the organization that publishes details of a former employee's departure, and the guy who posts that publication, are both equally in the gutter? Last time I checked, it was generally considered poor business practice to badmouth former employees, especially in the job posting to replace them, but I don't think I've ever seen anything saying that it was similar bad form to bring such behavior to popular light. Something about that equivalency doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not saying that the guy who brings bad behavior to light is a saint, or anything. Nor am I particularly saying that this was particularly bad behavior. But that "you're just as bad as they are!" line just seems completely wrong.

The obvious "bad behavior" being discussed here is not the publication of a personal opinion about a former employee of YEA! It's the publication of a personal opinion about a former employee of YEA! by an agent of the YEA! organization in an official job posting. It seems really odd to say that the dude who effectively went "hey guys! Look at this!" is at an equal level of mistakitude.

And the second thing I just don't get:

By the way Tristan, what value did u see in posting this? If the action was inappropriate, why would you wish to further shed attention to the past bookkeeper?

Would it not be best, a month after the fact, to allow the situation to stay inactive? Or ... would there be another reason I am unaware of?

I am a bit curious?

Seriously? I think the best answer to those questions is found exactly three paragraphs higher, in the same post:

Perhaps there should be a consequence for an action? If a school teacher quits and walks out of the classroom, or a corps director leaves today, or a politician suddenly resigns, there is a reaction ... no?

As I teach the Cadets, life is determined by the decisions we make. When we say YES, when we say NO --- these decisions frame our world! if we chose to drive drunk, if we cheat, if we help a person across the street, if we fall asleep driving ... ALL actions frame who we are!! and sometimes, all of the regret in the world cannot change what occurred.

We do not control the reactions of others. We control our response to the actions! BUT .. we may also wish to be aware that there is a response to the actions we take.

If it would have been best for Tristan to let the situation stay inactive a month after the fact, then would it not also have been best for the officers of the YEA! organization to let it stay inactive from the beginning, and not post the bit about the former employee in the first place? Or, perhaps, just accept that actions are going to have consequences, and the officers of the organization coming off to the public in a bad light is the natural consequence of this action?

Oh, last thing:

The article was honest, pointed and spoke as intended.

It was also tacky.

Can't wait to see the show, though. Good luck out there.

The obvious "bad behavior" being discussed here is not the publication of a personal opinion about a former employee of YEA! It's the publication of a personal opinion about a former employee of YEA! by an agent of the YEA! organization in an official job posting.

What's this "personal opinion" that's bending you out of shape? The note compliments her in several ways. The only comment specific to her that can be construed as derogatory refers to her leaving without notice (and even that's a stretch). Is that what's got you twisted? That YEA said it has an urgent need for help because the previous person (whom they called good and getting better) left them without the courtesy of a week or two to start filling the opening? You're tough to please.

HH

not to dwell on it, but I'd hardly say that if someone told me, let's say, in regards to my teaching ability with my kindergartners, I was "good and getting better" that I'd consider that a compliment.

just my 2 cents on that one.

You don't know that to be true. You don't know if a family member was geniunely ill. You don't know if her presence was needed immediately or at all. You don't know if someone was ill whether she adequately expressed her genuine needs to her boss. You don't know where the balance of responsibility falls.

HH

actually i do know. the first poster to mention the details was spot on.

and moms surgery went well, thank you all.

even better my boss told me to take all the time i needed if she's in for a while

Edited by jeffsnewjetta