An email I got from YEA

Have we become such a politically-correct society that the slightest little bit of criticism cannot be tolerated? Come on now. Let's put this in perspective...

In short yes. An email such as that is unthinkable coming from a well managed corporate environment.

In short yes. An email such as that is unthinkable coming from a well managed corporate environment.

You must not have much experience dealing in well-managed corporate environments.

Personally, I am neither surprised nor offended by the email. In fact, I have had much worse things said about me personally. I have been treated much worse. But because I recognize the difference between something that matters and something that doesn't, I have let those things go.

I guess my own ability to let it go is the reason why I am so perplexed that many people here find the email intolerable.

Again, the former employee was NOT being "trashed"!!

What they said - the part that everyone seems to be so shocked about - was that there is no accounting for the motivations of a 25-year-old (I'm paraphrasing here, so I apologize for not getting the quote exactly right).

Actually, the part I find troublesome is:

"To say the team was displeased is a bit of an understatement.

According to Marie O'Rourke, the CFO for Youth Education in the

Arts, Ellen was good and getting better."

Mentioning an employee publicly, By Name, and that you're P.O.'d that she quit on you, is unprofessional and is just not done in Corporate America today.

You must not have much experience dealing in well-managed corporate environments.

Personally, I am neither surprised nor offended by the email. In fact, I have had much worse things said about me personally. I have been treated much worse. But because I recognize the difference between something that matters and something that doesn't, I have let those things go.

I guess my own ability to let it go is the reason why I am so perplexed that many people here find the email intolerable.

I'm not "offended" by the email either. Nor do I find it "intolerable." I'm surprised, however, that it was sent, and, that Hop later came on here and basically defended it. IMO it shows a lack of tact, at a minimum.

I could care less if you can let this go or not. It's simply appalling that a communication like this can come from a "world class" organization and is then practically justified by their ceo. Unprofessional at a bare minimum, not too mention the liability it opens the organization up to.

Mentioning an employee publicly, By Name, and that you're P.O.'d that she quit on you, is unprofessional and is just not done in Corporate America today.

No, but there are other countries in the world where this type of business etiquette is standard. Now granted, these are likely third world countries, but hey, everybody needs a Nigerian scammer business to model. Imagine if the email went a little like this:

Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 21:40:15 -0500 (CDT)

From: "Commerce Secretary, Nigeria, 419" <X_money_*@.org>

Reply-To: "Commerce Secretary, Nigeria, 419" <X_money_*@.org>

To: #######@###.###

Subject: Hasty departure leaves Nigerian Ministry of Commerce looking for Defense cabinet member

Nigerian Ministry of Commerce Searches for Bookkeeper in the WAKE of Staff Member's

Immediate Departure to London

The Nigerian Ministry of Commerce has just recently lost their bookkeeper

due to hers decision to return to London immediately, without notices.

To say the Cabinet was displeased is a bit of an understatement.

According to William Hensmore, the Secretary for Nigerian Ministry of Commerce,

Noriah was good and getting better. We had provided a good bit of

training, she understood our activity, and she was a good team member.

BUT, there no accounting for the logic and action of a 25 year old.

As Cabinet Mininster say, "it is a part of doing business as a

non-profit. You hire young and hope for the best. But boyfriends,

family, school, and opportunity are all out there in the world and it

is possible that we lose some of the people we loves. Fortunately, we have a special offer for someone who wants to make a difference. We need your secure deposit to ensure you want the job of a lifetime."

Nigerian Ministry of Commerce is looking for a bookkeeper/accountent with superior operational

and technical experiences to assist in the fiscal management of the

entire organisation. And we need you soon! In fact our start date is July 8th!

Are you up to the challenge?

The Ideal Candidate will have:

* Good phone speaking abilities

* Good working knowledge of credit cards, checking systems and analysis

* An eye to the future, the ability to learn new accounting

systems

* An attention to detail and the ability to work well under

pressure

* A desire to work in an environment that provides amazing

opportunities to young people

Job Responsibilities Include:

* Billing member bands and students for fees

* Analyzing and posting payments and credits from people and associations

* Event settlements for special events and bad events

* Processing related payroll and accounts payable functions

* Completing and ensuring accuracy of daily paperwork

* Support current finance department staff with various functions,

including but not limited to:

* Vendor payables

* Payroll

* Cash Receipts

* Budget Management

Work schedules at Nigerian Ministry of Commerce do vary but, being critical to the business operations, this position will require working through the drought season.

Nigerian Ministry of Commerce offers a comparable salary and benefits package, including

medical insurance, a contributory retirement plan, organizational paid

vacations as well as standard vacation and related leave and the

opportunity to work in a environment that makes a difference to

for the world.

This can be more than a job! Working for Nigerian Ministry of Commerce can be a way of life; a

way to contribute; a way to make a difference.

Normal hours at Nigerian Ministry of Commerce are 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and this

position does require attendance at our Abuja office. The position

is open immediately but we do have the ability to work with the right

candidates. Again, July 8th is the goal!

Please send your resume, your credit card number, social security numbers, and letter of interest to William Hensmore, Secretary for Nigerian Ministry of Commerce, at X_money_*@.org

And one more thing from Cabinet Mininster ...

We have had some bad luck with this position! We have had a few

different people here and from the high potential to the phenomenal

start but no one seems to stick! Some say it is me, but others believe the room is haunted so, we

are going to hire a shaman to rid our company of the evil spirits!

SO, if you love people and have a fiscal background? This is for

you!

Oh, and if you are wondering, pay here in the past has been $90K to

$100K. It's perfect for those without a job, need money, and wants to make the big bucks!

And hey, you can get free vacation and watch the beauty of the Nigerian summer all day!

Send William your resume, credit card, phone number, and social security number today!!

Edited by Elmo Blatch

Again, the former employee was NOT being "trashed"!!

What they said - the part that everyone seems to be so shocked about - was that there is no accounting for the motivations of a 25-year-old (I'm paraphrasing here, so I apologize for not getting the quote exactly right).

Trashing someone would be something like saying that the person was totally incapable, or irresponsible, or immature, or something else like that. They didn't say any such thing.

Anyone who can't handle something like what was in the YEA! email is in for some trouble when they get out in the real world. Because let me tell you, employers can say things FAR WORSE. And many times when it happens, you have no choice other than to accept it and move on.

Just because an employer would talk about a former employee doesn't make that employer bad.

Have we become such a politically-correct society that the slightest little bit of criticism cannot be tolerated? Come on now. Let's put this in perspective...

how is it not trashing the motivations of a 25 year old when the fact is the kid quit because she wanted time off to attend to a very ill family member?

IMO, thats basically making fun of her request to do the RIGHT thing many kids today wouldn't do.

Not only is it insulting to see that email go out, that YEA wouldnt do the right thing and give the kid the time off is even worse. I #### well guarantee you all if it was Hop's parent, he'd take the time.

and i wouldnt fault him for doing it.

Why didn't YEA just post for the job without talking about the former employee???

The entire point of the thread. Took us 21 pages to get there, but by golly, we did.

I am appalled that George Hopkins would show such a world of ignorance in defending the CFO's email. Frankly I am not sure if it is ignorance, stubborness, or arrogance. I have a hard time believing that he really believes that the original email was an appropriate business communication.

At the same time I find the actions of the OP of this thread to be equally ridiculous and underhanded. The OP concedes that he found the email to be inappropriate. So you choose to post it here? Why? To see if others think the same way you did? That is a bit of a no-brainer isn't it? The fact that YEA! put it out there doesn't make it appropriate for you to bring it to a discussion board and perpetuate something that you agree is wrong. There is just no sound logic to that action. Although I am admittedly doing the same by adding another post to the pile.

...but the poor, poor judgement of Marie O'Rourke drawfs GH and the OP in my opinion. She was after all the author of the email. She is a CFO? As a fellow senior level finance exec myself I hope that most of us exhibit better sense than she did. I would not hire her to count my lunch money if that email was representative of her business sense.

Edited by jwscv87