An email I got from YEA

I have several reasons for not giving my own opinion here. First and foremost, I have already communicated my opinion to Marie O'Rourke and George Hopkins, and I did so as soon as I received the email. Had I received a reply---of any sort---in the nearly three weeks since, I would have let this go. The lack of a reply indicates to me a general indifference toward this matter, which troubles me greatly, especially since YEA has now opened itself up to liability in a slander lawsuit, and this activity cannot afford to have its corps in legal trouble.

Secondly, I did not give my personal opinion, as I am a staff member on this board, and I do not wish to even give the appearance of speaking on behalf of DCP on this matter. I have privately discussed this with a few individuals on this board, and after much thought, I decided that the lack of response (or even acknowledgment) from YEA warranted this posting. As such, my OP was nothing more than a statement of fact in an effort to elicit discussion and to hopefully bring the matter to YEA's attention in a more visible manner.

I do not apologize for posting this, as YEA felt it appropriate to send to its mailing list. I only hope that YEA notices this and addresses it quickly and appropriately.

This is not the answer you sought, but it's the information you need: You are neither hero nor saint in this situation.

Allow me to recap: You receive an email from the YEA CFO with content you find objectionable. Your objection stems from the fact that you think details about and perhaps impressions of a former employee shouldn't have been published in that email. When your questions to YEA in this regard aren't answered, you publish that email to this forum. Right?

Wrong. Though I am certain my account of YOUR behavior accurately renders events, your behavior is anything but right. If you truly believe it was a mistake to publish that information, what possessed you to publish that information? Climb down from the holier-than-thou pulpit. If they're in the gutter, you're there too.

You didn't even make the minimal effort it would have taken to paraphrase the issue and thus avoid repetition of the alleged offense. Instead, you published the very phrases you say shouldn't have been published in the first place. And you did it - according to you - after agonizing about what was the right thing to do. I can tell you this without doubt. What you did wasn't the right thing. It was wrong.

HH

Ok. So I knew of this first hand because the employee who left is a good friend of mine. She found out that her mother was very sick and that she needed to go home (across the atlantic) to be with her. From what I have heard of the story she was not granted the one to two weeks of time she would probably need to fly home and be with her mom so she had to quit. Obvioulsy there may be more to the situation but this is what I know first hand.

Wonderful. And now we're going to debate the issue on the merits.

Allow me to give you a lesson on first hand. If you weren't in the room during the discussion, it's not first hand. Even if we take you at your word that you heard this directly from one of the participants, that doesn't mean it's what happened. All it means - assuming your memory and writing skills tend toward the accurate - is that you've conveyed what one party told you. The truth may be that. Or it may be something else entirely. Either way we are not in a position to judge. So let's don't.

HH

ok quick question to follow up something a few pages back.

is it true that the person really left because a family member was ill?

to me, that kind of love should be honored and respected

Climb down from the holier-than-thou pulpit. If they're in the gutter, you're there too.

WOW.. how the Hades did you get that from the original post. You must have read the words "reserve comment" differently than me.....

Tristan ???

You sent an e mail to me?

Really ?

I answer most every e mail I receive, and it is many ... I would be stunned if I did indeed receive it and I did not respond.

Perhaps it went to my trash? it does happen?

As for the article, which was mailed to YEA! fans and friends, and the slightly altered article, that ran on the website ... I really am not going to comment. The article ran, we received 50 interested responses and we hired someone today who will begin July 8th. Those within our community know what what was said is but 1/2 the truth. The article was honest, pointed and spoke as intended.

In the world we live today, it is, and perhaps should not be enough, to depart a public institution with no notice ... at all ... before a crucial season, and have the action met with " Mary Lou Departed the company today due to unspoken circumstances" Perhaps there should be a consequence for an action? If a school teacher quits and walks out of the classroom, or a corps director leaves today, or a politician suddenly resigns, there is a reaction ... no?

As I teach the Cadets, life is determined by the decisions we make. When we say YES, when we say NO --- these decisions frame our world! if we chose to drive drunk, if we cheat, if we help a person across the street, if we fall asleep driving ... ALL actions frame who we are!! and sometimes, all of the regret in the world cannot change what occurred.

We do not control the reactions of others. We control our response to the actions! BUT .. we may also wish to be aware that there is a response to the actions we take. That said ... we have made the change, we are up and running, and all involved will have a grand and happy life.

By the way Tristan, what value did u see in posting this? If the action was inappropriate, why would you wish to further shed attention to the past bookkeeper?

Would it not be best, a month after the fact, to allow the situation to stay inactive? Or ... would there be another reason I am unaware of?

I am a bit curious?

Have the best summer!!!!

I got this email a few weeks ago, and I've been sitting on it, as I was rather troubled trying to figure out what I want to do with it. I sent an email to Marie O'Rourke and George Hopkins asking about it, but I received no response. I will reserve my comments on this at the moment, but since a somewhat different version of the same announcement appeared on the yea.org website at approximately the same time, I thought it important that people see this version as well.

Comments?