An email I got from YEA

I do not apologize for posting this, as YEA felt it appropriate to send to its mailing list. I only hope that YEA notices this and addresses it quickly and appropriately.
You didn't even make the minimal effort it would have taken to paraphrase the issue and thus avoid repetition of the alleged offense. Instead, you published the very phrases you say shouldn't have been published in the first place. And you did it - according to you - after agonizing about what was the right thing to do. I can tell you this without doubt. What you did wasn't the right thing. It was wrong.

HH

WOW.. how the Hades did you get that from the original post. You must have read the words "reserve comment" differently than me.....

apparently said poster didn't read/understand/care about the highlighted portion previously stated by the OP.

Edited by chaos001

WOW.. how the Hades did you get that from the original post. You must have read the words "reserve comment" differently than me.....

Reserve comment? He reserved comment like the guy who complains about office gossip by repeating all the gossip. As I said, he could have raised the issue benignly by paraphrasing the email and avoiding repetition of the very words he found fault with. Choosing to repeat the offend passage to a new, different and potentially larger audience hardly strikes me as reserving comment.

What's more, his subsequent email didn't reserve comment. He said explicitly what he perceived as the "general indifference" of YEA was his motivation for starting this witchhunt. That was the post to which I actually was responding.

HH

"As I teach the Cadets, life is determined by the decisions we make. When we say YES, when we say NO --- these decisions frame our world! if we chose to drive drunk, if we cheat, if we help a person across the street, if we fall asleep driving ... ALL actions frame who we are!! and sometimes, all of the regret in the world cannot change what occurred."

If this is directed toward the young woman who left (IOW - it was her choice to leave), I would like to make a personal response.

If it is true that a family emergency caused her to leave then this is something that was not a choice. Speaking as someone who lost a parent about this time three years ago everything else in the world comes to a stop. If this is what happened and YEA had to choice than to let her go then fine. But to bring up the situation to others attention was a mistake. And also the choice not to respond to others inquiries was another mistake.

Edit: Before anyone blasts I do not want to know the personal or business details of this. Just hitting me for obvious reasons.

Edit #2: More I read, the more I have NO idea who was being referred in all the "making decisions" comments. Young lady who left, person who wrote the original email, people reading the posts, all of the above. Interesting that the gist I got was "decisions had been amde, let's move on" but then the finger pointed directly at Tristan. Seems like the only person in the post that should explain their "decision" was Tristan????

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

What's more, his subsequent email didn't reserve comment. He said explicitly what he perceived as the "general indifference" of YEA was his motivation for starting this witchhunt. That was the post to which I actually was responding.

OK I missed something, was the subsequent email posted here? I forget and too lazy to plow thru all the posts. And thinking about it, would have been better to blank out the names of the corps and people involved. Heh, wonder how hot the responses would have been if we didn't know it was the Cadets.

If it is true that a family emergency caused her to leave then this is something that was not a choice. Speaking as someone who lost a parent about this time three years ago everything else in the world comes to a stop. If this is what happened and YEA had to choice than to let her go then fine. But to bring up the situation to others attention was a mistake. And also the choice not to respond to others inquiries was another mistake.

Except neither you nor I know what actually happened. We don't know if there really was a family emergency (there might have been). We don't know if the "emergency" was inflated after the fact to explain the previous irresponsibility (it might not have been).

That's the problem with this entire thread. Whether YEA was justified or not in doing as it did, this thread only fans the fires with idle speculation. Employees make mistakes. Bosses make mistakes. Mistakes happen. So do misunderstandings. We all know from experience that the real truth is seldom as simple as we might wish it to be.

HH

Edited by glory

Except neither you nor I know what actually happened. We don't know if there really was a family emergency (there might have been). We don't know if the "emergency" was inflated after the fact to explain the previous irresponsibility (it might not have been).

That's the problem with this entire thread. Whether YEA was justified or not in doing as it did, this thread only fans the fires with idle speculation. Employees make mistakes. Bosses make mistakes. Mistakes happend. So do misunderstandings. We all know from experience that the real truth is seldom as simple as we might wish it to be.

HH

Hey we're still agreeing.... Notice the first word I used was "that big little word" (IF)

Personally I think YEA made two mistakes:

1) Bringing up the name of the person who left and making a smart aleck remark about her leaving. IMO, made YEA look unprofessional.

2) Not responding to requests for info. Of course we have no way no know the facts about that.

And neither one has anything to do with the reason(s) why the person left.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

OK I missed something, was the subsequent email posted here? I forget and too lazy to plow thru all the posts. And thinking about it, would have been better to blank out the names of the corps and people involved. Heh, wonder how hot the responses would have been if we didn't know it was the Cadets.

Post No. 38 (I think) in this thread here

HH

This whole thread is unfortunate. What is more unfortunate is the bad press that the members of the Cadets have to suffer.

Most reasonably-minded people would agree that "airing dirty laundry" in a job posting, replete with names and circumstances, shows bad taste and poor judgment.

While I applaud George for coming forward to speak on his staff's behalf, as he was not required to do so, his reply was passively supportive of the person that wrote the advertisement. If he didn't support the action, he would have chosen a different means to respond. Perhaps something like this:

"In this activity, we often make mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes are made by me and sometimes they are made by people within our organization. While I did not write the job advertisement for the article in question, YEA does not condone the style of human resources management that was conveyed in the email. As a result of the unfortunate misstep, corrective actions have been made to ensure that this does not happen again. As always, I will continue to strive in helping bring the best possible atmosphere and experience to our corps and all members in this activity."

By the way Tristan, what value did u see in posting this? If the action was inappropriate, why would you wish to further shed attention to the past bookkeeper?

Would it not be best, a month after the fact, to allow the situation to stay inactive? Or ... would there be another reason I am unaware of?

I am a bit curious?

Well, I can't speak for Tristan. But perhaps he might say something like:

"We do not control the reactions of others. We control our response to the actions! BUT .. we may also wish to be aware that there is a response to the actions we take."

Wise words indeed!

With all sincerity, best of luck with the new staff and the new season.