An email I got from YEA

2. The email in question was seen as completely inappropriate by non-Cadets fans and conversely as acceptable by Cadets fans. There will never be a retraction by George about said email. He will not apologize for it, nor has he ever apologized for any wrongdoing that he or his organization have been accused. This is the way that YEA is managed. Cadets fans understand it, non-Cadets fans don't.

This is the first post I have made in the thread...this Cadet fan and alum does not agree with posting personnel comments in public. I do not agree with even discussing human resource issues among other employees not directly involved with the situation.

The original email did not "trash" the employee who left. In fact, it was mostly positive!! You people need to get a life and get rid of your over-sensitivity.

If I were a bookkeeper, I'd love to work for YEA! I don't believe for one second that it would be even a REMOTELY bad environment to work in.

I cannot believe that with the real problems going on in this world, people would focus such attention on something so unimportant.

Drum corps season is ready to start. Let's just enjoy the shows!!

did not trash her? see this line:

"BUT, there is no accounting for the logic and action of a 25 year old."

the logic of a 25 year old to attend to a very ill family member is, IMO, AWESOME logic.

You are the second person to imply this but it isn't true.

Most of the Cadets fans in the thread have said that the email was inappropriate.

Stop trying to make this into black and white Cadets fans against the world bull ####

agreed.

This is the first post I have made in the thread...this Cadet fan and alum does not agree with posting personnel comments in public. I do not agree with even discussing human resource issues among other employees not directly involved with the situation.

I'm really glad to read this, Mike. I hope folks like you who might have some legitimate pull with YEA! have taken the time to write to whoever needs to know your thoughts. (I'm not asking for anyone to account for it here. It's not my business.)

I honestly wish this thread didn't exist because posting the email here was bound to stir up the hornets nest, but I do believe that the email recipients should notify YEA!. Professional communications really do matter.

I honestly wish this thread didn't exist because posting the email here was bound to stir up the hornets nest...

I agree...this quote by Elmo is the ONLY reason I posted in this thread.

The email in question was seen as completely inappropriate by non-Cadets fans and conversely as acceptable by Cadets fans.

When you hire young folks, these things will happen. Working for a non-profit can require a lot more work than a for-profit entity, and generally for less pay. If they could afford to pay a better than average wage, they'd get older, more stable staff or at least people who chose to stay around longer. The benefit to hiring young folks is that you can sometimes get "true believers" who haven't become jaded by their previous experiences. The downside is that they will often use you for a line item on their resume and will leave for a few bucks more, or for a girl/boyfriend. This results in a lot of turnover.

I've seen these emails from YEA in the past though; a couple years they needed a merchandising manager (if I recall) and did a pretty good job of trashing the predecessor. On the one hand, if I were applying for the position, I'd like to know why my predecessor left. On the other hand, it seems like so much dirty laundry...

My guess is they're offering either 1) uncompetitive salary/benefits or 2) toxic working environment.

When you hire young folks, these things will happen. Working for a non-profit can require a lot more work than a for-profit entity, and generally for less pay. If they could afford to pay a better than average wage, they'd get older, more stable staff or at least people who chose to stay around longer. The benefit to hiring young folks is that you can sometimes get "true believers" who haven't become jaded by their previous experiences. The downside is that they will often use you for a line item on their resume and will leave for a few bucks more, or for a girl/boyfriend. This results in a lot of turnover.

I've seen these emails from YEA in the past though; a couple years they needed a merchandising manager (if I recall) and did a pretty good job of trashing the predecessor. On the one hand, if I were applying for the position, I'd like to know why my predecessor left. On the other hand, it seems like so much dirty laundry...

My guess is they're offering either 1) uncompetitive salary/benefits or 2) toxic working environment.

Personally, I wouldn't apply for such a position at any company - because it would be a pretty good bet that I'd be the one being trashed next time around. YEA didn't do themselves any favours here.

Again, the former employee was NOT being "trashed"!!

What they said - the part that everyone seems to be so shocked about - was that there is no accounting for the motivations of a 25-year-old (I'm paraphrasing here, so I apologize for not getting the quote exactly right).

Trashing someone would be something like saying that the person was totally incapable, or irresponsible, or immature, or something else like that. They didn't say any such thing.

Anyone who can't handle something like what was in the YEA! email is in for some trouble when they get out in the real world. Because let me tell you, employers can say things FAR WORSE. And many times when it happens, you have no choice other than to accept it and move on.

Just because an employer would talk about a former employee doesn't make that employer bad.

Have we become such a politically-correct society that the slightest little bit of criticism cannot be tolerated? Come on now. Let's put this in perspective...